starting temping need a little help..

(74 Posts)
babyrose Mon 29-Jul-13 22:18:15

So after 8 cycles TTC I think temping is going to help alot I'm just not sure where to start or anything Really! That probably sounds stupid!

babyrose Tue 30-Jul-13 16:32:35

I got alot of info there thanks!

blueamber Tue 30-Jul-13 16:51:32

The temps are accurate if you have had three hours of undisturbed sleep, so it should be ok. Also take it when you wake up before doing anything else. Apparently you want it taken before your whole body starts waking up, so no going to the toilet or drinking water or anything.

The taking charge of your fertility book says that temperature dips just before AF and if it stays high for 18 days it indicates a pregnancy. But most women by then would have taken a test anyway!

As jaykay said, it's difficult finding patterns in that first month. I've been doing it for a few weeks now because I did not ovulate last month so I wanted to know if it would happen this time instead of waiting for two weeks and then not getting AF, but getting BFNs. I'm happy to have seen the rise and am curious to see what happens in two weeks. I've had two weird temps though that were a lot higher, but these weird outliers can happen and in FF you can discard them.

blueamber Tue 30-Jul-13 16:53:27

razraz and jakay, I like to stay in control as well and it's just so frustrating you can't control your body! I hate the uncertainty too. In my case I had to wait three months after stopping the pill for ovulation and it's been awful!

blueamber Tue 30-Jul-13 16:54:46

Babyrose, I'm glad you got your info. To some people it might seem a bit obsessive taking your temp every morning, but I think it really helps to understand your body.

RaRaZ Tue 30-Jul-13 17:06:18

Thanks, Blueamber smile . You're right, it's hard not seeing the pattern you want to/were expecting and wondering if it means something has gone wrong.... My temp now is just about what it was before ovulation, but given I only started taking it the day before ovulation, I have no idea if it had already risen then! I know when I took my temp a few times a coupla month ago, it was a fair bit lower, so perhaps it is high for me atm. Who knows. All I want is a BFP!

babyrose Tue 30-Jul-13 17:10:39

Thanks blueamber, raraz and JayKay. I'm also thinking of getting taking charge of your fertility to help things.

The only thing that worries me is I work at the w/end and get up at 5:30 instead of 7:30 that's not going to work is it?

jaykay987 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:14:32

Baby rose - I think you should be fine. I take my temps at 5am mon-fri and take them much later 7.30ish on the weekend.

Although its my first month, I seem to have a chart that makes sense. Also FF takes into account the time, so will exclude any that are really out of whack.

RaRaZ Tue 30-Jul-13 17:20:49

Good lord, what on earth do you two do for a living?! 5am wake-up calls must be painful hmm. And I thought my shifts could be bad!

Jaykay : I wondered why it asked for the time. I'll start adding that in then. Guess it won't really help me for this month still so here's holding out for a BFP!

Whilst its frustrating you really need to take temps for 1 full month before expecting to get the hang of it and see a pattern.
It doesn't have to be the exact same time each day. Just set your alarm before you will wake naturally. Personally I did stick with the same time each day; set my alarm for 6 and took my temp while still half asleep. Then went back to sleep until my 'real' alarm iyswim. As long as you have had 3 hours non interrupted sleep and you take your temp immediately on waking up you should be fine.
I think FF looks for three consecutive higher temps than the 3 temps pre O to give you crosshairs confirming the day of O
And if you're wondering why its helpful to know when O is exactly.... When used in combination with OPKs you can work out the length of your LH surge and the date of O so you can pinpoint your most fertile days more accurately. For some people these may be pre and on the first positive OPK, for others these may be on and after the first positive OPK

babyrose Tue 30-Jul-13 17:33:36

Phew that's good to hear!

Let me see if I've got this, correct me if I'm wrong!

Take temp everyday as soon as u wake, 3days of high temp indicates ovulation if the temp drops it indicates af but if it stays high for 18 days that could indicate pregnancy?

RaRaZ Tue 30-Jul-13 17:39:09

So the fact that my temp is now down to what it was the day before O doesn't necessarily mean anything?

jaykay987 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:44:23

Baby rose - that's the highlights. Only thing I would add is - the high rises follow a dip.

So (hopefully this will make sense) if you look at the general pattern, starting at Cd 1:

1. Middle-ish temps = beginning of your cycle
2. Low temps = Leading up to and finishing with ovulation
3. High temps (higher than the middle-ish ones) for at least three days is "evidence" of ovulation
4. Temps begin to low back to the "middle" state indicate AF is on the way. If temps stay high for 18days BFP is likely (though this will often be after you have a BFP).

That is a HUGE generalisation, and everyone can be different. Plus there are likely to be outlying temps and differences for all sorts of reasons, but this is the very general cycle! For example, my temps are higher during AF but they normalised before dipping for ovulation.

When people talk about your cover line - this is normally around your "normalised" or "middle-ish" temps.
Drops below cover line indicate ov. Rises above cover line are post evidence of Ov/pregnancy.

FF explains this A LOT better than I have. HTH a little! smile

jaykay987 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:45:23

Raraz - if you're lazy (or half asleep) like me. Use the FF phone app and the time adds automatically grin

babyrose Tue 30-Jul-13 17:58:46

That helps alot thanks JayKay! Thanks started on this morning cd3 will that be ok?

CD3 is fine, often during AF temps are all over the place so don't worry about that too much
Also don't worry about a drop below coverline in the first week after O, this also can be normal

jaykay987 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:02:02

That should be fine. Definitely early enough to see a pattern hopefully.

Good luck!

RaRaZ Tue 30-Jul-13 18:03:22

Can you explain again what the 'cover line' is? And what happens if you're pg, no dip beneath the cover line?

jaykay987 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:16:18

Ok...my understanding is (and please can someone with more knowledge correct me if this is wrong)......

...cover lines almost represent your "normal" temps. By normal I mean not ovulating, not pregnant, not any exceptional time.

The first month you temp, you won't know what your "normal" is so you won't know your cover line.

But once you've got a month or two completed months of data FF can calculate your cover line. This is a nice line on your charting graph which month to month can help you quickly see whether you currently having low/middle/high temps and therefore quickly know whether you are ovulating/possibly pregnant/awaiting AF. As you begin to understand your temps you will know what your "norm" is which helps you pinpoint the other movements.

As people normally only chart one month at a time (i.e. the prior month chart is on a different "page" your cover line effectively visually brings your prior months norm data onto your chart so its easier to read.

The coverline is a visual horizontal line FF will automatically put on your chart. It will essentially split your pre O and post O temps into 2 sections, pre O being mostly below the line and post O being mostly above.
Don't want to confuse you with too much info but a dip of temp post O below the coverline can be a pregnancy indicator for some people as the temp can dip for a short time during implantation

jaykay987 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:17:57

Cross post! Don't think we gave conflicting info though - so that's good! grin

Fertility friend explanation of coverline here
I am pretty sure your coverline is different from month to month (ie its not your normal temp as suggested below) but the line that separates your average pre O temp from your post O temps

RaRaZ Tue 30-Jul-13 18:24:58

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks flowers. So, whilst I'm not gonna see any particular pattern till I've been doing this for a month or two, I don't need to panic just yet that I've had a slight temp dip as I could still have conceived?

Yep. You can post a link to your chart on here and I will take a look if you want

jaykay987 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:36:36

Ooh. Good to know - I didn't know it could move.

There really is so much to learn,smile

RaRaZ Tue 30-Jul-13 18:54:23

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc/index.php

Have a feeling that ain't gonna work confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now