What else should we be doing?

(19 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Wed 24-Jul-13 08:52:13

What is the Sperm meets egg plan???

cookielove Wed 24-Jul-13 07:25:54

Hi I just wanted to say me and dh had been trying since jan and I have done the whole legs up stuff too grin this month we did the sperm meets egg plan and it worked. Bfp on monday!!

Good luck op

Writerwannabe83 Tue 23-Jul-13 19:57:05

A women at work told me that she had conceived her child through putting her legs up in the air after sex and advised that I do it as well to increase my chances of getting pregnant. smile

Part of me knew it was silly but I did it anyway and lo-behold, I got pregnant on our first month of trying!! grin

We only had sex 3 times in our aim to conceive, which occurred over a 7 day period, starting 2 days before I thought I would ovulate.

x x

RaRaZ Tue 23-Jul-13 13:27:21

RE shagging frequency, yeah there's a lot of variation in advice, but what I've read most is that the decrease in quantity of sperm available with daily sex is only really an issue if your partner has a low sperm count to start with, otherwise it will make minimal difference. So if you've got reason to believe/know that he has a low sperm count, I'd perhaps go with every other day. Otherwise, I reckon having fewer high quality sperm (given the journey they're taking - the human equivalent of swimming 64km) must be better than more low quality...

Absy Tue 23-Jul-13 12:13:39

It depends, ranging from every day to every third day (some say that if you have frequent sex it improves the quality of the sperm and that the sperm is re-produced every day, others say that no, you need to store it).

DanniFudge Tue 23-Jul-13 11:23:46

Absy Thanks for this it's very helpful, I probably need to be get a little more clued up about all this stuff.

How often is the recommended shagging frequency during ovulation, every other day or similar? smile

mrspaddy Tue 23-Jul-13 10:56:07

Hi OP.. sorry for TMI, but we didn't bother with the OPK the month it worked for us and DTD every single day up until day 20. The every other day thing didn't work for us. That was after a year or more of trying.

I had booked in for private fertility examination the week I got the BFP.. try not to worry. Best of luck to you x

Absy Tue 23-Jul-13 10:51:08

For other things that you should be doing - make sure you DH/DP's underwear isn't too tight and that his boys aren't getting too hot (no hot showers, no saunas/jacuzzis). You'd think guys would think about this, but they don't (DH, I'm looking at you).

Absy Tue 23-Jul-13 10:49:30

My gynae said that the "peak" period so to speak is day 10 through 18, and the peak peak is day 12 to 16 (that's when you're most likely ovulating). So, best to start around day 10 and go from there. Normally I ovulate around day 15 (I have pcos and my cycles are just weird), so it's worth checking on other days if you don't have a positive test on day 12. This month, I have no idea when I ovulated. we're shagging in the dark so to speak.

DanniFudge Tue 23-Jul-13 10:40:41

Hi Girls, I'm just starting TTC too and it's all so complex! The ovulation calculators all showing different days for my optimum days, sometime with a gap of a week!!!!

Nottalotta Tue 23-Jul-13 10:19:30

makingdoo i am just starting ttc and know what you mean!! I am 35 and know how not to get pregnant! Im amazed at how little i know about getting pregnant cycles etc! So i got after a bit on a Thursday and properly on the Friday ....dtd the Sunday after so cd 10 or 11. Will try again today - does this sound ok?

makingdoo Mon 22-Jul-13 22:49:13

Thanks lifesgreat
I'm sad to think I've messed it up this month!
So what's the best way to use OPKs then? I must sound really thick but I've spent half my life trying to not get pregnant and just thought it would 'happen'. 2 years later and I'm thinking we really need to be more proactive

lifesgreatquestions Mon 22-Jul-13 22:21:41

Also that's not sperm coming out of you but the seminal fluid that Carries the sperm.

lifesgreatquestions Mon 22-Jul-13 22:20:39

Opks need to be done daily at least, and twice preferably, from around day 7 to 10 until at least a day after your positive opk. I used to put it off until day 10 until once when I ovulated on day 10 and realised I could have missed it! Alternatively just start shagging by day 7 with your every other day plan, good luck!

makingdoo Mon 22-Jul-13 22:18:53

Thanks euro
I really need to read up on it all a bit more.

eurozammo Mon 22-Jul-13 21:58:16

Well, apparently sperm can live for a week, so to give yourself the best chance, you need to have some waiting in the tubes ready for the egg. Have a look at the sperm meets egg plan (on various websites).

makingdoo Mon 22-Jul-13 21:53:15

Really? I just can't seem to get my head around this stuff!
I did an OPK on weds, Fri and sat and all said I wasn't ovulating. I thought I'd be on time as I thought best time to do it was before ovulation.....

eurozammo Mon 22-Jul-13 21:47:46

Depending on your cycle length, day 12 might be a bit late to start?

makingdoo Mon 22-Jul-13 21:29:48

TTC for the first time. I had become obsessed with OPKs and was sucking the fun out of trying!

So this month we've decided to just DTD and hope for the best. We started shagging with intent on day 12 of my cycle and are doing it every second day.

I just wonder if there's anything we can do to increase our chances? Does putting your legs in the air afterwards really work? I'm worried about the amount of semen that comes back out (sorry tmi) - is there anything to stop this?

Would love to hear your tips and advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now