What does Morning Sickness feel like?

(38 Posts)
Nessalina Thu 11-Jul-13 20:58:29

It might sound like an odd question, but in TTC I've been symptom spotting like mad, and I was wondering what genuine morning sickness feels like? Is it like indigestion? Or like a tummy bug? Does your stomach gurgle?! Can anyone help me out so I know which symptoms to obsess over?! shock

maja00 Thu 11-Jul-13 21:00:08

You'll know if you have MS - nausea and vomiting!

In my first pregnancy I mainly just had horrible nausea from about 6 weeks. This time I am 7 weeks and have thrown up for the first time this morning sad

maja00 Thu 11-Jul-13 21:00:36

It feels like car/travel sickness to me btw.

KeepTheFaithBaby Thu 11-Jul-13 21:01:13

I think it depends on you and your pregnancy. For me it came out of nowhere to start with, cleaning products at work made me think help I'm going to be sick. Then I got waves of nausea. Smells and certain foods triggered it off.
Where are you in your cycle?

Nessalina Thu 11-Jul-13 21:05:51

I'm only cd20 Keep, so way too early for MS I think, but my stomach has been out of sorts, just a bit blah and not fancying my usual food. Just got me thinking what the real deal would feel like!

TheBuskersDog Thu 11-Jul-13 21:10:37

It's not like a bug or indigestion because you're not in pain, just feel like you are about to throw up and of course for some people actually being sick.

ShowOfHands Thu 11-Jul-13 21:15:05

It's utterly senseless in some ways. I didn't feel 'ill' in the way you would with a bug. Sometimes it was a trigger like moving my head up and my throat would contract and I'd vomit. Or a smell or a sight would make me dry heave or vomit out of nowhere. Sometimes brushing my teeth would hit a nerve and I'd start to gag.

At its worst, food in all its forms caused me to gag, retch or vomit due to its smell/appearance but without feeling ill. It was a very visceral reaction to the world around me.

Damnautocorrect Thu 11-Jul-13 21:15:08

It was a different feeling to being ill/drunk. For me it was literally just bouncing drink/ food

KeepTheFaithBaby Thu 11-Jul-13 21:15:25

Thinking about it I got normal pre-AF cramps but not stomach ache like TheBusker says. You know with a bug you get stomach pain as a warning. With ms it was instant nausea/sickness.

CPtart Thu 11-Jul-13 21:16:29

Indigestion? A tummy bug??
Ha! No it is far worse than that. Think a combination of travel sickness and bad hangover....constantly, like a feeling that you're slowly being poisoned, and the only respite is sleep.
Horrendous.

AuntPepita Thu 11-Jul-13 21:18:19

Like a really bad, constant hangover. Ugh.

rempy Thu 11-Jul-13 21:18:30

Constant nausea. Unable to deal with smell of pretty much anything, including your previously favourite perfume. Literally gagging on breakfast. Constant nausea (oh, said that). Vomiting when you brush your teeth. Having to leave a restaurant when the person sat next to you ordered lamb.....

ShowOfHands Thu 11-Jul-13 21:19:54

It's was almost nothing to do with my stomach at all. No stomach cramps, no churning, no need to empty it of an irritant. The urge to vomit seemed to come from somewhere around my throat and chest and the nausea/sickness just pulls up whatever happens to be available into whatever receptacle was available at the time. It isn't a relief either. Not in the way vomiting with a bug is. It's just this weird shit your body's doing unbidden and without reason.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Thu 11-Jul-13 21:46:18

From what you are all describing I think I am suffering from it now! I'm 6+2 with my first and for the last few days have had almost constant nausea. I haven't been sick yet and eating does help.

I refuse to complain though, it's taken me 3 years to get pregnant and I am conscious that plenty of others would kill to be in my position.

KeepTheFaithBaby Thu 11-Jul-13 22:06:13

Yay Frank smile not for the nausea, I'm just so pleased for you!

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Thu 11-Jul-13 22:11:15

Cheers Faith wink I didn't think it could be MS as it is literally lasting all day, but sounds like it is! A symptom at last!

Mine was exactly the same as CPtart's really puts you off getting rip roaringly drunk afterwards!

leelteloo Thu 11-Jul-13 22:17:54

I'm really struggling with it at the moment. For me it's not actual vomiting: just constant travel sick/hangover feeling accompanied by a complete inability to do anything. It's all encompassing.

SuffolkNWhat Thu 11-Jul-13 22:23:31

The never ending hell of motion sickness with vomit at least every hour at which point you hope for death than another day of the this torture.

Just me then?

Seriously though it's a travel sickness feeling that doesn't go away easily, if you have the above then it's HG and that ain't pretty.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 11-Jul-13 22:26:12

Like being seasick with a hangover. Fucking awful frankly.

And it isn't like when you have a tummy bug and you get some respite after you vomit, the nausea just carries right on!

Worth it when you look at your lovely children though smile

Yamyoid Thu 11-Jul-13 22:35:17

All the above are brilliant descriptions. I'd just like to add this: standing in front of the open fridge nearly crying because you are so hungry but the 'morning' sickness means you don't want to eat anything.
I remember taking a whole day to pack for a weekend away because I could hardly move.
It is miserable but soon ish forgotten.

Nessalina Thu 11-Jul-13 23:04:37

Wow. Sounds I'll know it when I feel it! How silly is it to hope to feel ill, eh? Symptom spotting is a nightmare, lol. I look forward to wishing it away! grin

RaRaZ Fri 12-Jul-13 07:28:12

For me, I was hardly ever sick, but had the most horrendous nausea. At it's worst, I couldn't look down - bit tricky when you have uni work to do and need to look down to write! - and survived on just roast potatoes for several days as I couldn't entertain the notion of anything else. Felt terrible all of the time and could barely cope with being in the car - journeys home from work made much worse by having to stop half-way for me to get out and get some air.

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Fri 12-Jul-13 07:37:38

I was only sick a couple of times but in my last pregnancy I felt awful, constantly nauseous and nothing helped.

I went completely off all meat and even now 5 years later can't eat ham!

internationallove985 Sun 14-Jul-13 00:05:28

God it was awful. Mine started from 7 weeks in. The only thing I could keep down was chocolate and coffee or all things. It was all day sickness for me and mine lasted right throughout my pregnancy d.d was worth it though.
I have heard that the more severe your morning sickness then it supposed to mean you're carrying a girl. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now