Extended Bfers- when you finally got your cycles back, were they irregular

(7 Posts)
ByHecuba Tue 16-Jul-13 10:43:56

Thanks Beeble; I worried that I would be like that, but I am almost certain I ovulated this cycle and cycles came back slightly earlier than average. I think I read that it can be about duration rather than no. of feeds, so if your DS is still having long feeds, even if not very many, then it might be enough to suppress ovulation?
I have seen that thread Corpore, thank you, though didn't want to join as not actively TTC for a few months! Congratulations on your bfp. Hoping everything goes well for yousmile

CorporeSarnie Mon 15-Jul-13 21:32:40

There is a ttc whilst bfing thread (on phone so no idea how to link), there are many graduates. The average time to start getting periods if you bf is about 14m, iirc, and it can take a while to settle down. My af returned at 14m exactly, consecutive cycles went from 42d to 23d, 6m later have just had vfp, am nervously hoping am having an implantation bleed vs. chemical pg atm. So time is probably the best answer. Still bfing 20mo DD morning & bedtime.

Beeblebear Mon 15-Jul-13 06:53:00

My DS is 9m. Still no AF despite Ds sleeping through since 8 Weeks and starting solids at 6 months. I have a feeling that I will be one of those who don't ovulate until entirely stopping breast feeding.

ByHecuba Thu 11-Jul-13 08:35:32

Thank you both for that; that's really reassuring to hear.
11-12 weeks ShowofHands! Bet you were thrilledwink I am hoping this is just a few months of weirdness too, before things get back to normal.

MrsHoarder-When I really think about it, DD's feeds can sometimes be quite erratic. Do need to start properly noticing the number of feeds.
Am just going to keep charting (we use NFP) and see how things pan out. Still no AF today though- day 37!

ShowOfHands Wed 10-Jul-13 11:39:43

It's normal for it to take a few months to settle down. Where you're at in a couple of months time will bear little resemblance to where you are now. And if you're still not fully fertile in a few months then you might find that something like dropping a night feed will help so there are options which can help. You might find night feeds are naturally lost too. You don't have to soldier on and wait and see, there are ways of encouraging normal fertility and time will definitely help.

When my periods came back after dd was born, they came back at 11/12 weeks and while I was ovulating, I wasn't fertile as my luteal phase was very, very short. It took months to get back to fertility but dd was feeding 2 hourly day and night.

With ds, he was 11 or 12 months when my periods returned and I had a few months of weirdness, anovulatory cycles and random long/short cycles and then clicked back to a predictable cycle all of a sudden.

MrsHoarder Wed 10-Jul-13 11:38:49

My periods came back a bit earlier (DS also 14mo night-weaned himself very young) and were like that for 4-5 cycles before settling down. He's on 2-4 feeds a day now and I'm back to standard 27 day cycles again.

I suspect that as your DD's feeds drop down to 2-3/24 hours your cycle will sort itself out, and its possible to conceive even with irregular cycles of course.

ByHecuba Wed 10-Jul-13 11:29:57

and did you ovulate?

I've had 2 cycles since I got my periods back at 11 1/2ish months
DD is now14 months.
The first (anovulatory) cycles were 32 and 29 days.
Am currently on Day 36 of cycle, with no sign of AF.
Taken two pregnancy tests, just to be sure- negative.
Fertility Friend chart is confusing.

DD still feeds a few times during the day and a couple of times at night.
Had hoped to TTC later this year, but I am thinking this might be optimistic if my cycles are shot.
Can anyone help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now