Advice re OPK please-very early smiley face

(995 Posts)
StrawberryMojito Sun 02-Jun-13 09:49:54

This is my second month using an OPK (clearblue digital that tells you when you are both high and peak fertility). Last month I didn't get a high fertility sign at all (flashing smiley face), it just went straight to peak fertility (fixed smiley face). This was on day 12 which was a couple of days earlier than expected but still seemed normal.

I only finished my period a couple of days ago but started using the opk straight away as my cycles vary a bit (26-30 days). Today (day 8) I got a high fertlity sign. Surely this is too early?

So, we had sex last night just for fun rather than baby making but now I'm thinking should we do it again tonight as I got the high (but not peak) fertility sign or shall we just start doing it every other day until I get the peak fertility smiley face. I don't want to exhaust DH and his swimmers but don't want to miss the window either.

kabgab Thu 26-Sep-13 15:40:00

HI Ladies! I'm on CD13 now and stopped using my cheapie OPKs (what is it with me and OPKs? )...basically I've been testing since CD8 and I think I'm struggling with the appearance of the lines...they're so small and the colors are so similiar and faint that it's really hard to decipher if they're Positive or Negative OPK results...annoying. What a waste of $$.....Question for the thread: Going back to the Clearblue Advanced Digital stick...did any of you ever have the blank circle for a few days before the flashing smiley appeared? I ask this because before I invest in that thing again, I'd like to be sure it just doesn't automatically go from blank circle on the first use, to that flashing smiley face automatically for everyone on the second urine (i.e., second time it's used)...I understand it flashes until it detects the LH surge, but I'm more curious about the blank circle to flash face process...Is this "high fertility pre- LH surge" just slick advertising or is there real science to it? I'm at a point where part of me wants to not ever use OPKs again, and just DTD every other day during what I think my "window" is, every month, and call it a day.

Hey kabgab, I have been using clear blue digital for two months, I start just a couple of days before app tells me I should ovulate as I've been ovulating earlier than expected, it first went from o o o to solid smile, then stayed that way for two day, then this month, had I'd again then flash then solid smoke for two days, the only thing with them is I've been googling it and some say you cannot re use the test, but can re use the test sticks, as it has a memory, I've been happy with it so far though, I'm af less today!!! But a negative test!!! Frustrating as hell!! X x

kabgab Thu 26-Sep-13 21:21:00

Thanks MissV. I just hate dumping $$ on these things anymore (OPKs) as they tend to frustrate me a little...I think I may give Mr Smiley one (just one) more shot next cycle. Re: no AF but Negative tests, I hear you...so frustrating. Either the hormone isn't strong enough yet to pick up a positive result, or your cycle has decided to take it's sweet time for whatever reason...are you typically the same number of days each cycle (i.e., like every 28 days or every 30 days to a T)? I tend to cascade between 24 days to every 36 days so I never know this past year. xx

No regular as clockwork by 1/2 days so it's very frustrating, I totally agree with the while opk thing, I've got a new box ready for next month, so if af arrived I'll use it I think I'll have a good idea then of how my cycle is, although u had to ring clear blue 2 weeks ago as I had another LH surge a week and a half later, out of curiosity I did the whole month, kinda glad I did but then I was so confused as to why I had a second LH surge, she said it had either mal functioned, as it's only 99% accurate, or that I'm pregnant it if bit I should see a doctor as to why I'm having two, it might be that I geared up to ovulate but actually didn't, in just glad we ttc at that time. Still a mystery though. So onwards and upwards this month for you then?? Jumping back on it full force?? No pun intended lol x x

kabgab Sat 28-Sep-13 00:05:33

Aw, that is very frustrating Miss...especially since you're a clock work cycle person..this is a new experience for you, and that makes it all the more annoying (delayed AF but negative test)...how'd it go today for you? Well as for me, I'm basically TTC even though I know / believe this cycle is a flop (leftover follicles)..I still want to TTC just in case. I threw the rest of my OPKs out yesterday though, wasn't worth it for me since every day those lines looked the same (ish)...I just couldn't be bothered with it.

Hey kabgab, opk's are such a frustrating thing, is it isn't it?? Then combined with body watching. Still no af for me, haven't tested today though, it's my birthday so took the morning off, I'll test again Monday, have you had any more updates on the left over follicle?? X x

kabgab Sat 28-Sep-13 20:32:41

Im such a dork, I wished you a Happy Birthday a few days back..my mistake smile Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoyed the morning off. No news re: follicles until my next scan (which would be next CD2 of AF's arrival). xx

It's my fault as, it was my hubby's birthday then, mine today, lol, thank you though, we went to alton towers, 28 and acting like a big kid, but it's been nice to switch off from everything. A lovely family day!!
So there going to keep a close eye in you then?? I hope so. You definitely need to know what's happening!!
I've been feeling cramps all day for the past couple of days, on and off throughout. Much less painful than af but more annoying. I don't know whether it's significant or not, boobs are painful. But these bfn's are throwing my judgment out the window!!!

businessadmin Sun 29-Sep-13 21:13:46

Hi BNmum thanks x Hopefully sometime this week, i will ave my next IUI, im 9dpo now x

Hi kabgab , I prefer to use cheapie OPKs, it gives me better results than the CB tests. The the colour for postive is a darker line like the control line, vs negative line is lighter. Ive realised the second urine is best to test. The CB advanced digital confused me, flashing smileys for days and giving me mis-readings. At least with the Asda cheapie i know when im ovulating with the dark lines.

What brand of pregnancy tests are you all using?? I've been using tesco's ien, bought a couple if clear blue today, 5/6 days late, still no signs of af's arrival!!!
Good luck with your next iui business!!

Finding it very hard today to bit symptom spot and google!!!

kabgab Mon 30-Sep-13 00:09:42

Hi Business - How exciting, best of luck with IUI...xxxxxx thanks for the thoughts re: OPKs...I also was very annoyed with that flashing smiley (had it for days all the way until the last stick, of course - could be I wasn't ovulating..but when you see that flashing smile after 10 rounds it gets grating and you start losing hope!

Hi Miss - I use EPT and CB.. But with your case here, is there any way you can get a blood pregnancy test from your GP? Just to put your mind at ease and see what's going on? xx

charleylarlie Tue 01-Oct-13 13:08:49

Hi guys, I’m finally back in the land of the living! The move went smoothly enough, although 2.4 year old DS has been super clingy since which isn’t like him at all. Hoping he settles down soon, as keep thinking I don’t know how I’ll cope if I get pregnant.

How is the ms now, BNmum? Has it gone yet? Hope you’re well otherwise.

And Tea as well - I expect you are busy with work now that the new school year has started.

Good luck Business, keep us posted.

Any news, MissV? It’s so hard not to symptom spot, isn’t it? Hope you had a nice birthday.

How are you, Kabgab? How long ‘til your next scan? I noticed that you were asking about the blank circles on the cb opks a few days ago. The first month I used it, I went from blank circle on day one to solid smiley on day two. But another month I got 2 days of blank circles before going to the flashing, then a solid several days later. I think they must be very sensitive, especially the for the flashing smiley.

How’s it going, Blamber? Do you think you ovulated yet? Like BNmum says, it’s possible that flying could delay ov. Glad you had a nice trip though, even if it was a quick visit.

Are you in the 2ww now, Strawberry? Have you heard back from the GP yet? It’s good that they are being proactive and you’ve got the ball rolling just in case.

I hope I haven’t missed anyone! I wonder how Bambi is doing?

I’m now on cd4 as AF arrived on Saturday. It was a 28 day cycle this time, which I was surprised about as they seem to have been getting shorter and shorter, with the month before a record breaking (for me) 21 days, which was a bit disappointing (I’d wondered at the time why I was starting to get ewcm before AF had finished properly). Anyway, hope to start dtd in the next few days. I’m not using opks this month as I can’t afford the cb digis and I find the cheap ones a hassle. I’m not going to temp this month either, but if no bfp then I’ll probably start again next month.

Phew, that was a long post! It's good to be back! X

kabgab Wed 02-Oct-13 20:57:05

Hi Charley! Good to hear from you...This thread has gone very quiet...guessing not much new going on? Nothing new to report from me, and thanks for the information re: CB Digi....Today is my CD18 and I figure AF will rear her head in approx 10 to 12 days (this cycle was most likely a throw away cycle for me)...and while you never know, I'm not raising my hopes...I know what you mean about finding it stange when the cycles shorten up like you state above, it's just another thing we don't want to have to worry about, you know? But from everything I've read, it seems like it's normal once in awhile to either fall short or go a bit long...it's when the oddities occur consistently and there isn't really much to consider "normal cycle", is when they'll label us as "Irregular"... Fingers crossed for you.

Miss V - Any news?

Hope all the other ladies are doing well xx

blamber Thu 03-Oct-13 10:20:34

Hello! Charley good news your cycle is back to 28 days!

OV still hasn't happened for me, cervix has been SHOW for a couple of days now, but no LH surge... No idea what's keeping it. It's now been almost 6 months since stopping the pill, so I will see the GP soon, because I would have expected my cycles to be a lot more regular by now. Sigh...

blamber Fri 04-Oct-13 17:35:55

I saw the GP today about my mad cycles and he said to wait until after Christmas and then we'll see again. I told him I had expected my cycles to improve, but he said that after stopping the pill cycles can get better, then worse and then better again. I'm okay with waiting another couple of months though.

Still no ov though hmm

charleylarlie Fri 04-Oct-13 19:57:22

That's reassuring, I suppose, Blamber, but a bit frustrating to have to wait. Maybe you'll get your bfp before going back! Any news re: ov signs?

You never know, kabgab, but, like you I find it easier not to get my hopes up. It's cd7 now, no ewcm yet (am not temping or using opks this month). Think we're going to start dtd tomorrow.

Also, am in a quandry, because now that we've moved house those Masters courses are all starting to look appealing now that I don't have to factor a house move into the equation, but I daren't apply for anything for next academic year just in case I get my bfp. confused

businessadmin Sun 06-Oct-13 21:30:08

hi charleylarlie, kabgab & miss

I only had a 26 day cycle in sept, which is never been that normally short for me. Anyway i lost my uncle, he passed away so is been a sad few days for me. I manage to have my IUI on Friday CD 14. So fingers crossed it worked. Im on *CD16 To-day.

I notice bambi hasnt been on confused.

blamber Mon 07-Oct-13 11:09:46

business, sorry for your loss. But I hope the IUI is successful!

charley, you can always apply! You get maternity leave sort of thing when you're studying as well. Just means it'll take a bit longer to finish.

I got my LH surge this weekend! grin Now it's on to the next step... hoping my LP will be longer!

charleylarlie Mon 07-Oct-13 13:26:38

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Business. But fingers crossed for your IUI.

Yay Blamber! Good luck. Hope you managed to dtd lots and that you either get a bfp or a longer LP.

I'm toying with the idea of applying to do a course anyway but will give it a bit more thought as I don't think I've got enough experience to apply this year anyway.

I'm on cd10 now. I'm not using opks or temping this month, so won't know when/if I ovulate. We dtd yesterday and will do every 2 or 3 days for the next week or so. I'm a bit more relaxed about it this month, but will prob get obsessed by it again in a month or two if no joy.

How is everybody else?

kabgab Tue 08-Oct-13 01:37:13

Business - sorry about the loss of your uncle. I hope the family is finding strength together in loving memories. Keep us posted re: your IUI..fingers crossed. xx

Hi Charley - I agree with your approach, I did the same thing this past cycle *and half of last one as I threw my cheapie OPKs out mid cycle due to frustration trying to discern the line colors..they looked the same color every day, which is unheard of and a signal to me that the product was garbage)...anyway, same as you I tend to DTD starting around CD8, every other day and keep it going even until close to CD20 (since I tend to be irregular)...good luck to you xx

Today is my CD24 and I expect dear old AF to rear her head by the weekend..but, at least then I can go for a scan on CD2 or CD3 to ensure these stupid "leftover follicles" have vanished. they'd better or I don't know what I'll do anymore...have wasted 2 darn cycles on them.

How's everyone else?

businessadmin Tue 08-Oct-13 17:01:49

Ty blamber, charleyarlie & kabgab he hasnt had hes funeral yet, so it still gona be hard sad x

Il keep u updated on if my IUI was successful x smile

kabgab Fri 11-Oct-13 00:35:15

Business - Yes, it will be so hang in there and hoping you find love and support from loved ones. xx .. Today is my CD1 and tomorrow morning I go for a scan to see if those cysts are gone! Please cross fingers for me...I'm so sick of this nonsense already.

Hoping all of the other ladies are doing well. Any news from anyone?

kabgab Fri 11-Oct-13 18:17:16

well no good news from me! Still have the cyst...this month is another garbage cycle for me...that's 3 in a row...beyond frustrated. Most likely have to get it "drained" - so that should be fun.

charleylarlie Fri 11-Oct-13 19:47:02

Oh, I am sorry to hear that, kabgab. I had my fingers crossed for you. I hope you manage to get it sorted soon. Must be so disheartening. TTc is so stressful at the best of times. Big hugs.

Hope you're getting through the week, Business. Do let us know how you get on.

I've no news. On cd14 now, so have prob ovulated. I didn't notice much in the way of ewcm this month and haven't been temping or using opks so no clue really. Will dtd tomorrow and then maybe once more on Sun or Mon and that will be it for the month. Think will start temping next month if no joy.

blamber Sat 12-Oct-13 17:12:40

Kab, that's crap. So if the cyst is there no other egg will mature? Hopefully you can get it removed this month and then at least you know for sure it's gone.

Charley good luck!

I'm getting close to being a week after ovulation and am hoping AF stays away! The day after ovulation I got a vivid dream about this little toddler running about the house. A little girl. How nice would it be if this was a predictive dream!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now