Advice re OPK please-very early smiley face

(998 Posts)
StrawberryMojito Sun 02-Jun-13 09:49:54

This is my second month using an OPK (clearblue digital that tells you when you are both high and peak fertility). Last month I didn't get a high fertility sign at all (flashing smiley face), it just went straight to peak fertility (fixed smiley face). This was on day 12 which was a couple of days earlier than expected but still seemed normal.

I only finished my period a couple of days ago but started using the opk straight away as my cycles vary a bit (26-30 days). Today (day 8) I got a high fertlity sign. Surely this is too early?

So, we had sex last night just for fun rather than baby making but now I'm thinking should we do it again tonight as I got the high (but not peak) fertility sign or shall we just start doing it every other day until I get the peak fertility smiley face. I don't want to exhaust DH and his swimmers but don't want to miss the window either.

Bambi27 Sun 09-Jun-13 14:00:29

Oh that's good for you! How longs your cycle? Yeah I'm hoping I should get it tomorrow maybe? We shall see!!!

BNmum Sun 09-Jun-13 19:41:38

My cycle is pretty irregular I use 32days as a rough guide but it can be up to 60 days.

So far my body isn't showing signs of ovulation other than spots appearing on my face and chest, I'm had no ov pain which I sometimes get and no visible increase in cm.

I'll just continue to dtd over the next few days and see what happens.

Bambi27 Sun 09-Jun-13 19:48:46

Oh well it's encouraging that you got your peak I would just do as you said and dtd as much as possible and hope for the best! I really hope you get your bfp this month!!!

Bambi27 Sun 09-Jun-13 20:22:31

Also I don't really know what my body does during ovulation! I must be so out of tune!!

Bambi27 Mon 10-Jun-13 07:10:47

Oh day four of flashing smiley sad really thought today was going to be fixed??! Today is day app on phone says I 'ovulate' but maybe that's a good thing as not been using opks so far and maybe that's why we've not been catching as I ovulate late??!! We shall have to see!!! shock

BNmum Mon 10-Jun-13 08:00:34

I definately would have missed my window if id just used the ov calculators.

Outvof interest, I tested yesterday with a normal cb digi and got -ve, tested again this morning and got a +ve so i think others have been right in saying the advance kit gives you more warning.

Keep testing bambi and good luck!

Bambi27 Mon 10-Jun-13 08:14:02

I will keep testing thanks! And like I said maybe its a good thing as could explain why we haven't caught so far! Only got two sticks left so hoping happens tomo or wed or will be buying more sticks sad sad

BNmum Mon 10-Jun-13 08:18:28

Agh! I can happen, I got my peak with 1 to spare.

Bambi27 Mon 10-Jun-13 08:30:03

Ha ha thanks bnmum you are keeping me sane!! I'm debating getting the tests today ready but sanely know I should just wait until wed!! Ha ha!! No reason to not like I live nowhere near shops!! Just don't like the lonely two sticks staring at me and the stupid blinking face!! I know it's a good thing as been dtd every other day with them so it will be good if fixed smiley comes soon just frustrating!! Especially as first time I've used any opks!!

StrawberryMojito Mon 10-Jun-13 20:21:26

Hiya, great news on your CD24 peak fertility sign BN, very costly though! If I don't get pregnant this month I'm going to buy some Internet cheapies next month now I've got a better idea of when I ovulate. I can't afford CB much longer.

Fingers crossed Bambi that you get your peak sign before the packet runs out. I'm in the 2ww now. I have a big week coming up socially - a wedding and 2 birthday functions...and we have a babysitter for all 3, I'm so excited, just typical that I have stay pretty much sober without even knowing whether there's a good reason to.

Bambi27 Mon 10-Jun-13 20:23:53

Thanks strawberrymoito!! I hope so to!! I know a lot of people would disagree but I don't think it would hurt to much if you want to drink? I thought that until about 4-5 weeks baby only feeds off sack thing not you so should be okay as a one off?? Xx

StrawberryMojito Mon 10-Jun-13 21:05:17

I think you're right and I do plan on having a the odd glass of wine, will just have to be a lot more restrained than I thought I would be for what is a big bday for DH.

We conceived DS accidentally/carelessly when we were on holiday. Not only did I drink plenty of vino, I was also on malaria tablets and had had a yellow fever vaccination before we went (you are advised not to get pg for 3 months after having it). When I found out I was pg, I was in a right panic about what harm I could have done. So I plan to be much more careful this time. I do, however, think that we could take ages to conceive and I can't put my life on hold completely.

Bambi27 Mon 10-Jun-13 21:15:32

Yeah it's depressing enough ttc sometimes without not having a glass of wine at weekends!!! Xx

StrawberryMojito Mon 10-Jun-13 21:20:06

Too bloody right!

Bambi27 Mon 10-Jun-13 21:31:25

Ha ha!!

BNmum Tue 11-Jun-13 07:46:47

Any change this morning bambi?

Sounds like you've got a lovely time ahead of you strawberry. I would also have a few drinks and enjoy yourself as much as possible.

Bambi27 Tue 11-Jun-13 08:08:51

Eugh just done it now and bloody flashing smiley! Starting to worry now as I only usually have a 28-39 day cycle so if I don't ovulate soon surely my luteal won't be long enough?? So frustrated!!

BNmum Tue 11-Jun-13 09:42:58

I had the same thoughts about my cycle bambi. It could be a long cycle this month, maybe your body delayed ovulating for be reason or another and everything will be delayed.

Bambi27 Tue 11-Jun-13 11:46:48

I rang the helpline this morning and she thinks I have already probably ovulated?? Told me to use last stick but not bother with anymore until next month! She said sometimes it can miss the surge...either that or not ovulated but probably won't! Brilliant!! So won't bother after tomorrow's!! Xx

BNmum Tue 11-Jun-13 13:56:15

That's really annoying bambi, I hope you get your peak tomorrow. What cd are you on now?

Bambi27 Tue 11-Jun-13 14:38:45

On day 16 now, lady thinks maybe I had a wee to late in the night and that made my wee not concentrated enough in morning so may have missed my surge! Very annoying as was doing the tests to see if and when I ovulate and none the wiser so will have to try again next month if I don't get my bfp!!

BNmum Tue 11-Jun-13 18:57:56

I totally understand your frustration and really feel for you bambi. There's still tomorrow wink. Do you think you dtd enough around your estimated ov dates just in case you did miss your surge?

I'm no expert but I'm really surprised that the helpline said you missed your surge as you are still getting high fertility. High fertility means that your oestrogen levels are high which is usually indicative of pre-ovulation, the oestrogen usually triggers an increase in LH which is when you get your peak (fixed smiley). Once you ovulate your oestrogen levels drop so why would they still be registering as high?

I asked myself this question everyday when the flashing smiley (high) greeted me and this was the reason why I continued to test even though I was still getting high on cd23. I only got my fixed on cd24 which I would never have guessed.

Bambi27 Tue 11-Jun-13 19:27:06

Not sure why they said it maybe because I said I had a 28/29 day cycle?? They said it was unlikely I was going to ov now and probably missed it due to having a wee in the night??!! I did wonder why it was still saying high?? We dtd 12, 14, 15. Planning on dtd again for next few days at least every other day. She just said it wasn't worth buying any more sticks this cycle sad seems like I've wasted a whole month!! Hoping we may have caught or will catch anyway...or even if I got my smiley tomo??!!

Bambi27 Tue 11-Jun-13 19:30:28

How long is your average cycle??

BNmum Tue 11-Jun-13 20:11:24

My last cycles have been 31, 33, 60, 32, 37, 32. If I discount the 60 then it averages out at 33 days so you can see why I would be worried about not ovulating until cd24. I thought I would continue testing just incase I ovulated late and I did, my apps said I would ovulate between cd16 and cd21.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now