Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

Some advice please (had blood tests yesterday)

(6 Posts)
Nottalotta Sat 25-May-13 14:46:35

Hello, i feel hopelessly out of my depth with all pregnancy/TTC talk. Was on depo for 6yrs, last jab sept 12, and should have had one dec 6th 2012 but didn't. Am 35. No kids. No AF while on depo or since coming off. Had some spotting and pmt like symptoms in first couple months off jab but these seem to have gone. Had Very sore boobs but this too has subsided. Felt much more 'emotional' than usual so guess hormones are playing their part somewhere. So, at docs yesterday due to sinus infection and mentioned lack of AF. He said not to worry, six months off depo and no af is not unusual, and something should happen within 3 months. But also sent me for blood tests to chevk for 'hormone problems' what might this be? What happens if there are problems? Any other help/advice? Thank you.

Nottalotta Sat 25-May-13 21:17:11

Anyone??

blondieminx Sat 25-May-13 21:28:57

Hiya, my periods didn't come back after being on the Pill. For 10 months! It turned out that my thyroid was underactive so my cycle had ground to a halt.

I would guess the GP will have tested you for this but when the results come back ask for the TSH numbers - it should be UNDER 2.0 in women of childbearing age. The "normal range" for the general population is 0.5 - 4.5 btw.

He may also have run checks on other hormones. There's a really helpful poster called atillathemeercat who is more knowledgeable than me, if you have a spare free few mins run an advanced search using her username smile

Nottalotta Sat 25-May-13 21:50:19

Thank you, I'll do that. I just have no idea what the test is for and what happens next if there is a problem. Thanks.

blondieminx Sun 26-May-13 22:36:30

On Tuesday call to make a follow up appt to discuss blood test results and next steps. smile

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Mon 27-May-13 00:06:14

I imagine they are going to test your oestrogen levels to begin with. They are also likely to test your LH and FSH levels to see if there are any unusually high/low levels.

I came off the Pill in May 2010 and my periods took 8 months to return. After 6 months I was sent for blood tests which did not show anything abnormal. However, I then had an ultrasound which showed Polycystic ovaries.

At this stage a blood test is pretty routine so try not to stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now