forgot my pill...

(17 Posts)
Archetype Sat 25-May-13 10:53:50

Right so I forgot to take my pill on the 2nd of my and we dtd on the 1st. what's the likely hood of being pregnant? cos Im on the pill I have no idea of cycles or when after would be due but I've been lightly bleeding since then (about 2 weeks)

Archetype Sat 25-May-13 10:55:26

Sorry 2nd of May and due af.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Sat 25-May-13 13:02:43

It is possible. Only one way to find out. POAS.

attilascupcakes Sat 25-May-13 15:14:14

Its highly unlikely that you would get pregnant from missing one pill. Not saying that it has never happened, but its unlikely. POAS and put your mind at rest.

blueamber Sat 25-May-13 16:48:25

As other said, it's unlikely but it could happen. Missing a pill in the first week means you should use contraception for a week.

blueamber Sat 25-May-13 16:48:49

As other said, it's unlikely but it could happen. Missing a pill in the first week means you should use contraception for a week.

blueamber Sat 25-May-13 16:49:12

sorry for the repeat

K8eee Sat 25-May-13 17:42:45

Archetype I did the same as you and no bump or baby appeared. I even went to a family planning clinic as I was petrified but I think it's quite unlikely. Poas and see or wait but don't worry too much thanks

Archetype Sat 25-May-13 22:07:45

thanks all, felt really sick his morn so poas and bfn smile happy as Im getting married next year and baby would have been due on dd1s 2nd birthday haha.

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Sat 25-May-13 22:09:52

It's all about which pill you miss. First 7 or last 7 of the pack is a risk, middle 7 and you don't need to take extra precautions.

Archetype Sat 25-May-13 23:25:06

grin that's for that didn't know. was middle of the pack.

Archetype Sun 26-May-13 13:10:25

just for peace of mind...how many weeks into pregnancy would you start getting a negative result? I know hcg drops in urine at some point but not when, very paranoid that Im quite far on...

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Sun 26-May-13 13:53:37

If you think about it, each month you 'miss' 7 pills when you have your week off between packs. You have breakthrough bleeding and you are still protected from pregnancy even though you've had quite a big gap between pills.

The risk of missing first 7 or last 7 is because it effectively extends the pill free period beyond what is safe to prevent pregnancy. If you miss one of the middle 7, enough hormones are in your system that there is no dip in protection.

As another example, if you missed the last pill in your packet, an easy way to deal with it is to simply treat that as the first day of your seven days off and start the new pack after a seven day gap. You'd have a new start day for your new packet, but because you'd just had the standard 7 pill free days, you'd be fine.

It is really just convention to mimic a natural cycle that we take pills at 21 then 7 days off. For example, they could easily be manufactured as 35 pills and then 7 days off.

I've only heard of negative results in late pregnancy. The hcg drops as the placenta takes over, so you are talking quite far along. I think by the time there was any risk of a false negative there would be quite a number of other external signs of the pregnancy IYSWIM.

Archetype Sun 26-May-13 14:00:00

Im quite over weight tho. and Im on a pill you take continuously its called desorex. so I don't usually have any bleeding.

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Sun 26-May-13 14:38:36

Is that a mini pill? Don't know about that I'm afraid.

The stuff about the negative results should be the same though.

Archetype Sun 26-May-13 15:26:33

its the pop.

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Sun 26-May-13 15:39:27

Ah, yes, also known as the mini pill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now