talk to me about relaxation.

(10 Posts)
qazxc Fri 17-May-13 15:11:27

Have been ttc for about a year and a half (2mc last year). People around me tell me that it's because i am too stressed. I do have a very stressful job , that unfortunately i can't afford to leave. Has anybody tried yoga or accupuncture or any other relaxation methods? What worked for you?

If you have been ttc for that long then there could well be a subfertility problem with either one or both of you equally. I would go to the GP and ask for a referral to a hospital's subfertility unit.

EuroShaggleton Fri 17-May-13 15:22:23

Someone on here posted a while ago a link to a study showing that stress has no effect on the ability to conceive.

That said, it might be good to decrease stress in your life for other reasons. I've tried yoga and acu. Neither has helped me get preggo, but I do enjoy the "me time".

HadALittleFaithBaby Fri 17-May-13 15:37:45

Hello. First of all I'm sorry for your losses. People will try to reason things out but please don't take on board these comments - they are basically implying its your fault for being stressed! I wonder if any of them TTC'd for over a year (I doubt it). Of course it's stressful!

I found a variety of things helped me. Running was great - I got fitter and slimmer and it gave me head space. Reflexology is brilliant and I enjoyed massage too.

Massage is good in a relationship too. It creates skin to skin contact, it's relaxing and it often leads to sex! We used to do massage with the condition it wasn't automatically a pre-cursor to sex but it could be an opener.

I think Atilla is right - you should be starting investigations if you haven't already.

TWinklyLittleStar Fri 17-May-13 15:40:05

I find it relaxing to shout "fuck off, you've no idea what you're talking about dickhead!" at these 'just relax' idiots.

Also acupunture and any sort of outdoors exercise.

LJH23 Fri 17-May-13 18:33:01

My best mate had reflexology after her first mc and whilst ttc and she got pg, so perhaps something to try? I went for some last weekend in the hope it may also work for us! Good luck!

qazxc Fri 17-May-13 18:44:54

twink i like your idea! but maybe telling MIL to eff off when she presents me with articles like "i learned to relax, now i have children!" (title from this weeks article) might not go down to well. wink

twinklestar2 Sun 19-May-13 00:49:22

My consultant says that stress only affects ttc if you're too stressed to dtd.

So sorry you're still ttc qazxc, I remember you from the monthly threads (used to be winkle2).

EuroShaggleton Sun 19-May-13 08:21:44

Was that in the BMJ or a more authoritativeness source like Take a Break?

Search through the old threads on here - there is an actual study indicating it makes no difference.

isitsnowingyet Sun 19-May-13 08:37:01

Aromatherapy massage. It's lovely and even if it doesn't work, you are definitely very relaxed after. I took two and a half years to conceive first time, and was due to have first appointment with fertility nurse the month I fell pregnant. I don't know if the aromatherapy thing helped in those final 6 months of TTC but it was nice. (Three kids now and no problems after with conceiving although have had a miscarriage as well). Best wishes for you and hope it happens soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now