How long did it take to conceive DC2?

(47 Posts)
argylesocks Sun 28-Apr-13 16:54:25

I know obvs everyone is different but I just don't know what to expect this time around. DS was a 'surprise' so I've never TTC before.

We're now trying for #2 and I really thought it would happen right away. It's only been 5 months but I'm just curious how long is common to TTC before success.

I shouldn't get impatient just yet but I just want it to happen already!

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:27:28

apparently within 6-12 months is average.

DS1 - pg with 6 months of getting married (wasn't using contraception, not TTC either)

DS4 - I decide it's time TTC and got pg that month

DS2, DS3 and DS5 were conceived with one go

DD - same as DS4, took only 3 nights in a row SWI

Geckoandthemonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 19:29:59

Dc1 - 6 months

Dc2 - didn't ttc, so a nice surprise

2.5 year age gap.

CorrieDale Sun 28-Apr-13 19:32:51

Took over a year to conceive DS (history of m/cs). With DD we decided to give it a try and if I m/c-ed again we'd just be grateful that we had DS and give up. Got pregnant first time and despite a scare, pregnancy was fine.

lollypopsicle Sun 28-Apr-13 20:09:32

DC1 3 cycles
DC2 7 cycles with a chemical pg on cycle 4

bonzo77 Sun 28-Apr-13 20:18:46

DC1 1 cycle.
DC2 15 months including a mc at 12 weeks.

Still trying - been 2.5 years...

ItsYoniYappy Sun 28-Apr-13 20:23:17

DS1 - 5 year then 1 laparoscopy and 1 cycle and voila!

DC2 - 2 cycles -

DS2 - 6 cycles after miscarriage of DC2

argylesocks Sun 28-Apr-13 20:48:13

Great, thank you for the replies. I guess we should have started trying sooner, I didn't know 6-12 months was average!

Maybe next month will be the one smile

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 21:07:58

argylesocks - best chance of getting pg is from 3 days before till 3 days after ovulation, roughly.

you probably know this already, but learn to identify & look out for EWCM, when it appears that is really the best time TTC.

since DD I had 3 AFs, and can tell each time when I ovulate by the dull pain on the side that an egg is released. (cue DH avoiding me like the plague, while I'm broody as hell)
The EWCM appears within 24-48 hrs, followed by period like pains.
[so now I have period pains twice a month, excellent (!)]

I hope this helps - anyone the same btw?

argylesocks Sun 28-Apr-13 22:14:10

thanks. I just started using the ovulation predictor kit last month, we tried like hell smile the day before, and the two days after I got the ovulation 'smiley' face but nothing.

I definitely get that pain on one side but it seems like that came after I got the positive ovulation test. They didn't seem to match up. Are those ever wrong?

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 22:35:32

no idea about the test kit.

IMO your body knows better, especially the EWCM bit.

probably TMI but I'm so broody, I think I have double the amount as ever before.
as if my body was begging me to get pg. weird

omama Sun 28-Apr-13 22:58:03

Ds - cycle 3

Currently ttc dc#2 & on cycle 14
Undergoing fertility testing now. If i'd known it'd take so long i'd have started much sooner. Ds is now 2.8.

argyl You usually get a positive opk 12-24 hrs before you actually ovulate, so the ovulation pain should come later.

argylesocks Sun 28-Apr-13 23:18:22

omama I know how you feel, I was afraid of ttc too soon because I thought it would happen right away. Now I wish we started earlier!

Startail Sun 28-Apr-13 23:23:53

DD1 took 18 months, DD2 took 3

MoreBoober Sun 28-Apr-13 23:30:25

DS took 8+ months, a lap and dye + the threat of clomid.
Currently ttc no 2, on cycle 4 now and in the 2ww

argylesocks Sun 28-Apr-13 23:57:26

What's a lap and dye? Is there any point in going to a dr until its been less than a year?

omama Mon 29-Apr-13 00:08:01

How old are you? Nhs guidelines are try for 1 year before visiting gp if you are under 35, 6 months if you are over 35. Assuming no obvious problems that would warrant an appointment sooner.

Fx'd we will get our bfp's soon!

argylesocks Mon 29-Apr-13 00:30:48

I'm only 29 so I wouldn't expect any problems yet, hopefully. Thanks for all the help. And yes, fx smile

We conceived DS on cycle 3 and currently ttc #2 - we have been trying since may 2012 and had a miscarriage in Feb hmm so back trying again - currently on cycle 2.

I wish we had started trying sooner but I was convinced we would conceive quickly as we did with DS - DS is 4 now and desperate for a sibling.

Good luck everyone xxx

Mutley77 Mon 29-Apr-13 10:38:36

My DC 1 was conceived without really trying - month 1 both times (although unfortunately the first time ended in a mc sad )

DC 2 took nearly a year - that was really stressful.

DC 3 - a surprise (thought we were taking a risk at the wrong time of the month!)

Therefore I would not ttc if I were you - much as I read up on in and became an expert in all the signs of ovulation etc I have come to the conclusion that we were probably not trying at the right time of the month. I had got to the stage where I didn't want to dtd early in the month for fear of deteriorating sperm quality!!!!

Easy to say but try to relax and ignore ttc if you can.

MolotovCocktail Mon 29-Apr-13 10:49:20

DD1 - 9 months
DD2 - 2 years, including 6 cycles of Clomid.

3.2yr age gap.

I agree about not 'trying' to conceive. The nearer to a year it took to conceive DD1 was streasful and I feel that TTC DD2 actually made me depressed. Huge strain.

She was worth the wait, though grin

If we were to have any more children, I wantsurveyor accident next time!

MolotovCocktail Mon 29-Apr-13 10:49:56

I'm 30 now; was 26 when dd1 was born and 29 with dd2.

MolotovCocktail Mon 29-Apr-13 10:51:33

'wantsurveyor' wtf?!

'I want a', that should be! blush

argylesocks Mon 29-Apr-13 15:23:57

Argh! I just feel silly for it not occurring to me that it would be difficult, because DS was a surprise. He's turning 2 next month so I know it's not a huge time crunch but it seems like absolutely everyone around me is pregnant or has a newborn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now