Straw poll: do you drink during your 2ww?

(30 Posts)
HidingUnderMyDuvet Wed 24-Apr-13 19:21:29

Just wondering really, whether you drink during your 2ww?

Or do you wait for AF then indulge? wink

Kazmog Fri 17-May-13 17:29:04

thanks that has made me feel better smile) x

Pudgy2011 Fri 17-May-13 17:27:01

I'm with monkeyfacegrace - I'm currently on my 2ww and still drinking.

Out with some girlfriends tonight and I'll be damned if I don't drink given that if I am pregnant, in about 2 weeks time the smell of wine will send me heading for the nearest toilet for the next 4 months.

Until you get that positive pee stick, don't feel guilty about enjoying a few bevvies.

Kazmog Fri 17-May-13 16:34:09

So pleased to read this thread. I have been so worried over the past two days. I am currently in Japan on business and going to dinners everynight and being quite careful with food and booze but still having a glass of wine. I was due yesterday and I got cramps, light bleeding etc. and assumed it was my period so I went out and had a 3-4 small glasses of wine not really thinking about it as I thought it was my period. But now the bleeding has stopped and I have been worried about any damage I could have done. I would be 4 weeks pregnant. I went to 4 pharmacies today and could not find any pregnancy kits! Obvs I have stopped drinking now - really hope I haven't done any harm sad(( I had a stillborn son 2 years ago and I am completely paranoid.

WannaBeAMommy Mon 13-May-13 01:38:37

Happy to see this thread. Feeling guilty about getting drunk on a hen weekend and period now overdue but negative wee test sad

Champagnebubble Sun 28-Apr-13 19:30:01

Thanks CaptainMoll and twinklestar for your comments. I haven't really thought about it and made an opinion, like you say, gotta get the BFP first - but I'm that annoying kind that over thinks everything so was just interested in others views on it! grin

twinklestar2 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:28:52

Champagnebubbles - it's taking me so long to get my BFP that when it does finally happen I wont risk it so I'll abstain completely.

CaptainMoll Sat 27-Apr-13 12:23:01

Champagnebubbles - if I ever get my BFP I will stop drinking certainly for the first trimester, when's things are at their most vulnerable. I don't know about after that - i'll find out when/if I get there.

I drank during my 2ww - my logic was that the developing embryo was sustained by the yolk sac and not getting any nutrients / booze from my blood stream, as it wasn't tapping into it yet. That happens from implantation, around day 7-10 past ovulation. As for boozing affecting your fertility, if you are ovulating ok, and it's early days ttc, I wouldn't worry x x

jazzcat28 Sat 27-Apr-13 11:22:20

I think I will avoid drink for the sake of it (e.g. At home) and have one or two drinks here and there for birthdays, evenings out etc. I am loving Cadbury highlights caramel hot choc at the mo so that's my treat drink at home

Thinking of those also in 2ww!

Champagnebubble Sat 27-Apr-13 09:56:27

I do drink during 2ww - I figure that it could take a while and I'm not gonna live like a hermit! BUT, I try not to go mad, and try and limit intake if that makes sense - I'm a lot more careful. My mum told me that as soon as she was pregnant with me though she went off the taste and smell of alcohol so hope that is an inherited thing! grin. I haven't gone off it yet and I'm in my 2ww though - all I wanted is a glass of wine last night after the week I have had! hmm

On another debate will you all stop drinking when you get your BFP? Of course by that, do any of you intend to have the occasional unit that is deemed 'ok' during pregnancy? I of course don't mean drinking a bottle of wine every night grin

Im starting to TTC this month.
I drink every night.
I'll be buggered if Im giving it up for potentially my last month just for the 2ww!!
Carry on as normal until you get that BFP I say.
<disclaimer, non medical, non scientific, non researched, but Im a bit of a 'day by day' girl>

jazzcat28 Sat 27-Apr-13 08:26:56

So glad someone else has asked this question! Am starting my 2ww today and have a girls night tonight and a birthday party next Saturday to get through - I can't not drink as my friends will be highly hmm but after reading this maybe I'll drink but take it slowly and alternate with water/diet coke and not get rat arsed in usual style

Thingymajigs Sat 27-Apr-13 07:58:56

DP drinks about once a year and I try to avoid alcohol as much as I can for health reasons so I figure if I'm going to drink once a month then it might as well be on my period. This is definitely not set in stone though. As others have said it can be difficult if ttc is taking a long time so you have to relax a little and not be too strict on yourself.

HidingUnderMyDuvet Sat 27-Apr-13 07:56:24

Moggle, do you know what the NHS guidelines are?

MistressofPemberley Sat 27-Apr-13 07:04:15

I drank but tried to take it easy. Apart from the day I was due on. Drank 3 fairly hefty glasses of wine as I was miserable and crampy. AF never turned up...

BlindKitty Fri 26-Apr-13 22:17:36

ah what a refreshing thread! I've been trying to abstain / have <2 glasses per week and after 24 months of ttc ITS DOING MY HEAD IN!!!

moggle Thu 25-Apr-13 23:06:33

I went for a fertility appointment this week and the Dr said that staying within the NHS guidelines while you are TTC shouldn't affect fertility, and that goes for men and women. But there's not a ton of research on it. I don't go out or drink much these days, so maybe once a week I'll have a couple of drinks, but equally I might go best part of a month without anything. But I don't particularly avoid drinking at any time of the month. I haven't got properly drunk in ages but if I had plans to I'd try and time it while I was on my period! After 16m TTC I'd go mad if I couldn't have a glass of wine when I wanted one.

HidingUnderMyDuvet Thu 25-Apr-13 21:31:24

Thanks for your responses!
I'm relatively new to this TTC malarkey. I'm not a heavy drinker but I do enjoy a glass of wine or a g&t (or two) on the weekend.
I think that I shouldn't deny myself these small things, but can't help but feel a little guilty... I'm pretty sure i understand that the foetus wouldn't be effected that early, but i cant help wondering if its it affecting my fertility?!

MrsBri Thu 25-Apr-13 20:49:11

When I was TTC I generally didn't drink that much, until the cycle I got pregnant when I drank on the day of conception, got steaming drunk 5 days later on my hen do, then (after a negative test) got fairly drunk the day before my BFP!

My GP said that there's no need to abstain totally as why be miserable. I'm not sure she meant drink that much though, but it was the timing which meant I wasn't going to not drink!

Bearface Thu 25-Apr-13 19:15:09

Yes, but only one or two small glasses of wine (125ml) about once a week.

Brodicea Thu 25-Apr-13 18:46:42

One or two, no more than that

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 18:31:14

No way

EuroShaggleton Thu 25-Apr-13 18:24:51

Yes, I drink lightly throughout (cut down in the early days of ttc).

babyrose Thu 25-Apr-13 18:18:28

Yes but not a lot, couple of glasses of wine and maybe a beer oh then that's me pissed!blush

TobyLerone Thu 25-Apr-13 08:55:03

God, yes. After months of TTC, I'd go insane if I denied myself some wine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now