pcos hormone levels

(7 Posts)
Januarymadness Sun 24-Mar-13 22:21:38

whoa never heard of that one and I thought I was fairly well read.

I am an exception to the rule. I present with a High BMI, one or 2 stray hairs, acne, several small cysts on both ovaries and very irregular periods. (I sound like a monster but it isnt THAT bad)

However all my bloods have always been normal, my overies arent enlarged, and the stray hairs arent that many at present and I cant really claim my being overweight is purely hormonal and I have a little girl who, in the circumstances was concieved miraculously quickly.

Gwlondon Sun 24-Mar-13 21:54:14

There is also something called sex hormone binding globulin SHBG. Sometimes that is outside the normal range and has a knock on effect to other hormones.

Januarymadness Sun 24-Mar-13 21:44:47

Do you happen to know what the normal testosterone levels are?

JM

Blood test should ideally be done around day 2 rather than later on day 5.

Also such levels should always be compared against each other, blood test results can be misleading otherwise because individually the levels can look within normal ranges.

Its possible to have PCOS and not have truly excessive LH levels to that of FSH. Its also a fine line between polycystic ovaries and the full blown syndrome. You also need to bear in mind as well that PCOS is a very individualistic disorder and affects each woman with it very differently; the commonality throughout though is the cystic follicles on the ovaries.

Januarymadness Sun 24-Mar-13 10:54:31

Thanks. My consultant said regardless of my bloods all othey symptoms match including both ovaries being polycystic. I just cant figure out that if my hormanes are ok why my periods are still soooo irregular. I have never had a blood test that has shown my hormone levels being anything other than normal.

EuroShaggleton Sun 24-Mar-13 02:55:11

Usually for pcos the lh level is way higher than the fsh level earlier on the cycle. They should be similar. So yours are not indicative of pcos. You might still have pco though, if you have rows of cysts on your ovaries.

Have a look at the forum on the verity pcos site if you want more info.

Januarymadness Sun 24-Mar-13 01:36:52

I know I am posting in the wrong section but I didn't know where else would be appropriate.

We are not ttc just yet but I have had a diagnosis of PCOS.

My last round of bloods say they are in the normal range but doesn't get more specific. Having just had a diagnosis I would like to know what everything actually means and dr Google is not overly helpful.

Can anyone help me find out what the normal ranges are?

day 5

FSH 6.7 u/l
LH 4.2 u/l
oestradiol 105 pmol/l
testosterone 0.8 nmol/l

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now