Brown discharge/spotting before period?

(58 Posts)
Littleraysofsunshine Wed 13-Mar-13 18:35:20

Anyone?? What is this?

Liquoriceallsort Wed 20-Mar-13 20:22:43

Sorry for your loss sad I really hope you get everything you want very soon.

It is very preoccupying, I am only on cycle 3 but ever since I came off the pill 2 years ago I have had spotting before af and always had a feeling this would be a barrier hmm

maybemyrtle Wed 20-Mar-13 21:06:02

Thanks Liquorice - you too flowers

It may not be your prog levels though, have you had the blood tests done? Fingers crossed for good news soon.

Liquoriceallsort Wed 20-Mar-13 22:16:35

No it has never really bothered me until ttc and as I'm only on cycle 3 I thought I should wait and see. I should get it checked out though. Blooming hormones!!

Littleraysofsunshine Thu 21-Mar-13 10:59:17

It's really annoying me! I'm breastfeeding but never been a problem before. I mean I'm not complaining as periods aren't exactly nice are they! But I'd like to know the reasoning!

Littleraysofsunshine Thu 21-Mar-13 16:41:05

Dr was really unhelpful. Just said it may be breastfeeding. I have never had this whilst feeding......

And to test next week.

I don't see it being pregnancy as we have only dtd a few times and using withdrawal.... Small chance but I think very small chance

Littleraysofsunshine Fri 22-Mar-13 13:42:14

Negative still. Must be another reason than pregnant then hmmmm but what?? hmm

jazzcat28 Fri 22-Mar-13 14:33:31

Watching with interest. Been on pill 10 years. Took last one 1st March. Had light brown discharge since Monday. Was hoping AF would make an appearance but so far nothing.

No idea what my cycles are as this is first 3 weeks off the pill.

DH and I are keen to start trying but not sure what the brown stuff means! I had hoped to have at least one proper AF before my BFP - presume it'd help with working out dates?

Littleraysofsunshine Sat 23-Mar-13 09:41:07

Negative again.

Safe to say I'm not pregnant. But had on and off spotting since the 10th now.

hmm

Littleraysofsunshine Sun 24-Mar-13 22:48:21

On off spotting since 10th now.

And it's just brown discharge. When I wipe there's nothing , yet when I've been sat on the loo for a while (making the most of five mins peace lol) it will be red mucousy blood? As if its pressure sitting down for a wee/poo pushes blood out?

But nothing in my liner again. I thought af arrived this morning. But nothing throughout the day

Littleraysofsunshine Tue 26-Mar-13 09:19:33

Update..

So since 10/03/13, I've had on off spotting/brown discharge.
I know this may be tmi, but only when I'm sat on the loo for a while, or opening bowels, or just sat on the loo enjoying five mins peace lol when I wipe, I have mucousy blood.

But only brown discharge in my liner?

Dr had no answers for me, and just said, oh it may just be hormones. Yeah this MAY be the case, but it also may not. This has never happened to me before, and it's happening now after three usual cycles since my dd.

So still none the wiser!

Littleraysofsunshine Mon 08-Apr-13 22:10:46

Dr said to have blood tests for hormone levels and PSOC

Littleraysofsunshine Mon 08-Apr-13 22:11:38

*PCOS

BangOffTrend Fri 07-Jun-13 10:21:15

Just come to this very late but wanted to add my bit for future readers, not that I have any answers sadly.

We had 3 DC in rapid succession but since the last one 3 years ago have had 4 MC in 2 years and now no BFP for nearly a year.

I've had brown dry-ish spotting for 4 days before a period on and off for about 2 years but is getting more frequent. Once the spotting preceded a BFP which MC.

I've done many tests at the RMC clinic and all tickety boo but should we get a BFP we will need hormone injections to support growth. now waiting to be referred to fertility Clinic. Had AF - 7 days and 1-5 days test and progesterone levels as expected.

I am over 40 so thought it might have something to do with that but some of you are clearly younger so maybe not?

I remain convinced that early spotting is an indication of something being amiss and will report back here after our appointment.

tryingforsolong Fri 07-Jun-13 11:54:45

I'm sorry about your MC's.

I get this too and have been told its nothing to worry about and quite normal etc. Deep down I've always wondered if there's something not quite right - have been TTC for 4 years sad. Please report back and I hope you get some positive news soon.

Buddleia4 Tue 30-Jul-13 16:07:08

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has received any answers about the brown discharge yet?

We've been ttc #2 for 12 months (conceived #1 very quickly) and I've had this for the past 3 cycles. Generally it starts 4-5 days before AF but the last couple it's been all over the place. My cycle is normally 28 to 30 days but because of this last month it was 37. I'm currently on day 24 and it's started already. It's so cruel because I am tricked every time into thinking it's implantation bleeding. It's accompanied with back ache.

Been to the GP twice - the first time I was told that "the menstrual cycle is an inefficient process" and the second that "periods change over time."

I have never had anything like this before and I am really worried. Could it be low progesterone?

GladitsnotJustMe Thu 01-Aug-13 11:32:54

This has just happened to me - spotting 5 days before AF for the first time ever. I was convinced it must be implantation bleeding, until AF showed up for real today sad

I did have a couple of 'day 21' tests that came back on the low side, but they weren't on the right day, so I just assumed we'd missed my peak progesterone level. Might need to re test that after this month's experience.

Would be interested to hear anyone else's experience

Buddleia4 Thu 01-Aug-13 11:43:30

I'd be interested as well. This is still happening to me - it started on day 24, I'm now on day 27 and it's still there - and my back is really sore.

I've tested and it's BFN yet again. I'm now booked in to see a fertility consultant and I've requested my medical records as the GP never actually tells me what the results are (last time she had to look up on google if the result was okay or not!). I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

GladitsnotJustMe - I feel for you. It's horrible and you feel like you're being tricked. These last few days I've swung from being really hopeful that maybe, just maybe I'm pregnant, to crying my eyes out because deep down I know I'm not. I think you can buy natural progesterone creams but I have no idea how safe they are.

Best of luck xx

RaRaZ Thu 01-Aug-13 11:53:38

I've found this really interesting as I had implantation bleeding with the one I mc, but not with the pg that was ok. I too wonder if it's a sign that something's not right. Re progesterone levels, I should get my results tomorrow. Eeek.

GladitsnotJustMe Thu 01-Aug-13 12:45:34

This thread has convinced me to go and get another day 21 test done.

Buddleia I did get my hopes up this month, actually allowed myself to believe I was pregnant. Crap isn't it.

Good luck with the fertility consultant
xx

Buddleia4 Thu 01-Aug-13 13:12:35

Thanks!

I did have an implantation bleed with my DS which is why I am always so hopeful, but it was literally a bit of brown blood for half a day then nothing.

If it's any use, from trawling the Internet I've found the following all suggested as possible reasons for this. In the slightly less worrisome category is: old blood, stress and low progesterone. Then in the more worrying category there is: fibroids, endometriosis, pcos and perimenopausal. My GP is completely unconcerned that this is happening which is both a relief and a concern.

If I get any joy out of the fertility consultant ill let you know. Xx

Buddleia4 Thu 01-Aug-13 13:13:45

Ps RaRaZ good luck with the results. Let us know how you get on. Xx

GladitsnotJustMe Thu 01-Aug-13 13:25:06

Just found this old thread on the same subject:
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1372140-Do-you-get-spotting-before-AF-period-Come-and-talk-to-me-here

Some interesting experiences and advice there, and a few BFPs....

thistlelicker Thu 01-Aug-13 13:28:32

I wish I knew!!! I'm cd33 and on days 23 / 25 had spotting and nothing since! I've had a uti so urine been dipped and showed blood! Also bfn!!!!! I had mmc in December and af seemed to sort herself out and now she is being stupid!!!!

Af needs a biscuit and a head wobble!!

thistlelicker Thu 01-Aug-13 13:34:16

Low progesterone .... What does hat mean?

blueamber Thu 01-Aug-13 13:42:56

if the spotting is 10 days or more after ovulation it shouldn't be a problem, but as it could be the uterine lining shedding and it starts earlier in the cycle, it could make conception more difficult. Could be low progesterone... this means that after you ovulate there's not enough progesterone to sustain the lining.

My book says if spotting consistently lasts longer than a few days see a gp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now