Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

sebsmummy1 Mon 21-Oct-13 08:58:40

Ekk0 I am definitely not an expert here but it sounds as though you are doing everything right to try and get AF back. Night weaning is definitely the first step, trying to get a good block if sleep (at least 6 hours) is apparently a really good way to reignite fertility.

They also say try to reduce endless sleepy suckling as that makes your body produce more hormone. If you can keep the feeds short but effective. There is info out there about compressing the breast while baby is feeding to maximise the amount they take in the shortest time.

Have you considered allowing a bottle to drop a bf?

Blackberry is very good with advice re the don't refuse don't offer business. My little one is much more of a fish pie monster so he doesn't ask and I now feed him twice a day and he mainly sleeps through. This is the first month my cycle has been pretty normal with ovulation today at cd 16.

BlackberrySeason Mon 21-Oct-13 18:45:33

Thanks so much for the nice messages everyone - I'm feeling ready for AF now - just really disappointing when it seemed so clear! Spoke to my dm about it and she said I need to try to put TTC completely out of my mind in the 2ww as it could easily be a year from now that we get a bfp with dc2. I'm going to try to do this a bit more next time.
DSis and 2 bf are both TTC too - so there is a lot of TTC chat going on in RL as well grin

Hi Eko - do you have any signs at all of AF coming back - ewcm, cramps, increased discharge, headaches? I charted just my ewcm before I got my AF back and so we really could have caught the first egg if luck had been with us! A really good friend got pg without ever having AF after bf, catching her first egg. Definitely can happen!!

sebsmummy1 Mon 21-Oct-13 20:07:34

Blackberry, it's easier said than done though with the 2ww. Every twinge feels like an early pregnancy symptom, i know as I've felt pregnant three month running!!! I am now starting to think the month I do get a clear BFP I will feel no symptoms at all.

I'm just waiting for FF to give me a cross hatch and then ill plunge into the dreaded 2ww myself.

Lots of love xxx

KokoLoko Tue 22-Oct-13 12:33:59

Hi everyone. A really quick question for those in the know, when do you check for ewcm? Is it when you're aroused or is it just there when you're oving?
I picked up some cheapo opk on Amazon and so far they've all been completely blank. Yesterday I got a really faint line! I know it means nothing in terms of oving but hopefully it means something is going on smile Can't wait to poas again today, fingers xed the line gets darker!
Koko

sebsmummy1 Tue 22-Oct-13 12:44:35

Koko for me I tend to get it a day or two before ovulation and it is egg white consistency mucus that is evident on the tissue as you wipe.

This month I had 5 days of EWCM, then a dry day, then ovulated and there was wet and a small amount of EWCM. Today I don't know yet.

If you google Fertility Friend videos you will see three really good videos that give you fab advice and part of it covers your fertile window including cervical mucus.

BlackberrySeason Tue 22-Oct-13 19:01:40

Do you see ov confirmed on ff yet, sebs? Will keep fingers crossed for you on this 2ww.

Koko, just look normally when you are about to use the loo or on tissue after. Usually when you have ewcm pre ov it is quite obvious once you compare with the pics and charting lessons free on ff.

ekk0 Tue 22-Oct-13 19:18:43

thanks for the advice it is so good to read of others on bf and ttc journeys.dd def feeds for comfort - if she is tired, hurts herself, her sister annoys her etc.i've been making an effort to distract/give a cup of cows milk to try and decrease sucking time. I feel kind of bad and wonder, if we we're not able to conceive again for whatever reason am I going to regret encouraging her to rely less on the bf relationship.

as for signs of AF returning, I keep thinking so.have had cramping, more discharge over the last couple of months but doesn't amount to anything.having only had about 2 af in the last 4 years it is hard to remember what i might feel like! i also keep thinking I have ewcm but then it seems quite frequent so I guess I'm not recognising it right.in terms of logistics (!) do you feel 'up there' or is it just when wiping? also has anyone had success with temping despite being woken quite frequently in the night?

thanks!

sebsmummy1 Tue 22-Oct-13 20:43:11

I think FF likes consecutive higher readings after a dip to plot ovulation. So if tomorrow I am still high I have a feeling it might give me an O line where I dipped, but I'll have to wait and see. I am counting today as dpo 1.

Ekk0 there were months where I just couldn't temp chart as I was up and down all night. Now though he pretty much sleeps through so I am usually taking my temp at about 6.30 each morn.

sebsmummy1 Wed 23-Oct-13 21:47:52

Oooh, I have EWCM again today so we are going to attempt to BD!! I am still sure I Oed on Monday but you just can't be sure about these things.

I googled and have found posts if people saying that stretchy mucous can show up post O. Will have to see what FF says tomorrow.

sebsmummy1 Thu 24-Oct-13 07:46:30

I am now confirmed as 3dpo today as FF finally cross haired my chart. It certainly looks positive, it's just that lovely crappy waiting game now.

KokoLoko Thu 24-Oct-13 15:26:15

Good luck sebsmummy! Nothing came of the faint line on my opk so I'm hoping maybe I oved before I started testing. I've just realised today I feel a bit crampy so maybe something is going on and AF really does reappear at 14 months smile

Poor DS2 had his MMR yesterday so has been even more suckle-y than usual, bless him. It's the ultimate soothing device and I feel so lucky to be able to do it though

sebsmummy1 Thu 24-Oct-13 15:48:38

Awe koko, you know I miss that feeling as we are only feeding twice a day now for a short time and I don't think it's enough anymore to give me that love bubble. I used to cry at the drop of a hat and get oxytocin waves whilst he was feeding. Now I just feel like me again. I know this is probably good for TTC but I envy you girls who still gave that amazing feeding connection with your LOs xxxxxxxxxxx

sebsmummy1 Fri 25-Oct-13 10:56:28

4dpo and cm is now opaque and stretchy though not like EWCM. Can't remember getting it last month but last month feel quite a long time ago now and I wasn't charting so comprehensively.

Fingers crossed xx

BlackberrySeason Fri 25-Oct-13 19:18:35

Koko, yes it's so handy when they are ill!

Sebs, keeping my fx for you on your 2ww!!

Tonight DS had a bit of a toddler meltdown but milk and cuddles have cheered him up again and I was singing to him at bedtime. He was coming off to join in the chorus grin only bf a toddler could you have that experience!

I am on my AF so this month we are going to be much more systematic - swi every other day from the end of AF and every day I have ewcm and around 3 days before I expect to ov and until I have the definite thermal shift so know I have ov. Very determined to do our best to get there this time!!

sebsmummy1 Fri 25-Oct-13 20:33:38

Bloody hell blackberry that sounds like a lot of sex lol. Good for you!!

I have started to feel less hopeful. No more CM and nothing else to report. I know it's still early but as each day passes and nothing new happens then I find myself feeling pretty pessimistic.

catellington Fri 25-Oct-13 21:20:14

Hi all checking in. No AF yet but not holding out any hope at all as don't think I ovulated. Have signed up for the ff app and gone and got my thermometer and recorded two days of temps. Think I'm just going to chart until after .christmas to get to know my cycle and then start properly trying after that.

Dd is really exhausting me at the moment anyway, so frankly the thought of pregnancy is terrifying! ESP as she simply won't sleep all night in her cot, I have visions of her kicking my bump all night sometime in the future!

Blackberry you sound like a woman on a mission best of luck and enjoy!

Sebs I am sure you will get that BFP soon !

sebsmummy1 Sat 26-Oct-13 19:24:42

Cat that sounds like a really good idea re. getting to know your cycle and getting a few charts in place before you do it properly. My LO sleeps through but me and my partner are often awake at 5am. Totally ridiculous!!!

Well I have some more hopeful signals. Mild cramping tonight and my CM has gone back to EWCM consistency! Not as plentiful but enough to see a slimy stretchy coating on the toilet tissue.

I am holding out some hope of seeing a bit of blood or pink on the tissue when I wipe. Then I really will get my hopes up!!!!

BlackberrySeason Sun 27-Oct-13 07:30:53

Sounds great with the charting, Cat - it should really help!

Sebs, all sounds good - hoping you see those implantation signs soon!

Only a few days to go until operation extreme swi starts smile

sebsmummy1 Sun 27-Oct-13 09:09:06

Aaahh blackberry, loads of baby dust for you this month xxxxxxx

sebsmummy1 Mon 28-Oct-13 07:46:16

7 dpo, creamy CM still, I can see a coating when I wipe but it's not stretchy. Cervix is high, firm and closed.

Argh, if I did get ovulation cramps at 5dpo I wonder when the earliest time would be to test. I'm thinking I0 dpo?

BlackberrySeason Mon 28-Oct-13 11:57:58

I wouldn't test earlier than 7 days after you think you ov. Even that is pushing it but exactly what I would do and in fact I have tested on 5dpo before

BlackberrySeason Mon 28-Oct-13 11:59:11

Thanks for baby dust - I will conceive (to the tune of I will survive!!)

Big wave all - how is everyone doing?

sebsmummy1 Mon 28-Oct-13 13:37:59

Thanks blackberry, I swing from some hope to no hope.

We will do this you know! When our bodies are ready they will let us conceive. I feel so much more fertile this month than the last and know if I don't fall this month I stand a really good chance next xxx

BlackberrySeason Mon 28-Oct-13 19:00:17

Everyone on this thread will get there, sebs, I agree smile

BlackberrySeason Mon 28-Oct-13 19:03:58

How is charting going now, cat? Are you still in the 2ww?

Hope ds2 is feeling better, Koko? Where are you in your cycle now?

Ekko, do you think you've spotted
any ewcm at all now? It seems to be a reliable indicator of AF returning - was for me and hopefully you will be posting soon to say AF is here.

Cd 5 here and counting...

This thread is not accepting new messages.