Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

sebsmummy1 Tue 24-Sep-13 09:07:26

Ha ha I love the strike through text, makes me chuckle grin

eggsnbeans I have never managed to get a positive on the strip tests so don't worry too much. Even the day I got the surge positive on clear blue my internet cheapies said nope!!

I'm a bit cross today as I had one CB opks left that I wanted to do this morn in the hope of no smiley face so I could think I had a short sweet surge and maybe my egg would stand a chance of implanting before my period, but of course Sod's law, the test screws up and gives me an error message, so who knows! My cervix is still high and open which makes me think I either haven't ovulated yet or else my body is trying, so in my mind I think I'm out this month.

SCD I think I expected to feel like you re. the possibility of ending bfing but actually now we are down to 2 feeds a day and he spends most of that time wriggling and booting me in the stomach (and this is using the best position that seems to keep him the most settled). I feel pretty calm about him self-weaning in the future. I guess I might feel differently if he was going to be my last one, but as I know I will hopefully be feeding another one in the future I'm ok with it, I've totally one the best I could for him through times that other mummies might have decided to quit.

Happy birthday tomorrow winecake

SoulCakeDuck Tue 24-Sep-13 18:51:02

Thank you both for the wine and cake, going to be a busy few days with a few wines, might as well get them in while I can!

Getting her on to cows milk in the day was actually surprisingly easy. She already had it in her cereal so was used to the taste, and I think the really hot weather we had helped as she was so thirsty she would drink anything. I also made a point of offering before she was actually looking for milk so I wasn't dealing with her getting frantic trying to get to my boobs while I tried to give her a bottle and falling out over it.

We only did two feeds last night too, one at 8pm and one at 4am so that's one less than normal. She also slept from 8pm to 4am without waking up, the longest she has ever gone! Not sure tonight will be quite as good though as I've just had to put her down for a nap, she fought it all afternoon and went down in the middle of her tea...As long as she is well behaved while the Bake Off is on.

sebsmummy1 Tue 24-Sep-13 20:01:32

How old is your daughter SCD?

I find that seb doesn't ask for boob in the day at all. He eats three large! meals a day with water from a cup and has a feed in waking and a feed host before bed. He has never had bottles or sippy cups so to be honest I wouldn't even know how to administer milk to him once he is fully weaned. I would assume I need to get a sippy cup? I find I always feel like I'm doing it wrong when I read/hear how other people are feeding their children confused

SoulCakeDuck Tue 24-Sep-13 21:32:44

She is almost 14 months, she doesn't ask for milk in the day at all now. Not until after her bath time as she knows that's when she gets the good stuff!

She is a very good eater too and will eat three large meals and a cup of milk in the afternoon. She has had bottles of expressed milk in the past but just takes water and milk from a sippy cup now. We've got a Tommy Tipee one with a rubbery mouth piece that you have to squeeze for anything to come out. Limits damage when she starts throwing it around. If he takes water from a normal cup then I would just go with that, though not so easy to take out and about, dd often has a drink while we hike around in the pram, dog to walk and horse to check up on so we do quite a bit of walking and a sippy cup probably is better for that.

She's just gone down for the night now so I'm off the clean up the carnage she left behind, she has emptied all her things out of the cupboard, toybox and generally ransacked the living room. Baked some banana and white chocolate muffins earlier so might have one of those to help me on my way. DH still away tonight so just me, dd and the dog. Think I'll be tucked up in bed by 10! (If I get the dishes done...) Toddler group in the morning then got to pack everybody's things for our little trip to FIL's birthday gathering.

BlackberrySeason Wed 25-Sep-13 00:12:30

Yay for the smile seb - it can take a while for cycles to settle down, can't it, so maybe this is the start of things getting back to normal for you!

Cake, happy birthday for tomorrow!! cake I totally get what you mean about how it can feel that reducing bf to TTC is selfish. I felt really bad and actually rang one of the bf lines to discuss it - the woman was really kind and understanding. I try to remember that it is in ds's own interest to have a sibling. I just need to get swi and make it happen grin good luck with your swi this week!

Hi Cake, am on AF now actually - started on Monday, but actually quite pleased as it means we can finally get on with properly TTC smile very impressed with your plans for withstanding testing - fingers crossed for good news for you this month! You asked about drinking milk - DS wasn't interested for ages but I just kept offering it as a choice. Gave it in a little tt cheap sippy cup. Very recently and now we are down to nighttime bf only he has got really into cow's milk all of a sudden and asks for it all the times. Only since he was 2. Calcium-wise I have read they don't need animal milks as long as they are still taking 3-4 bfs a day.

Am reading taking charge of your fertility and wondering abut starting yo chart cervix position - any tips anyone? Is it affected by bf?

BlackberrySeason Wed 25-Sep-13 00:13:57

Where I say Hi Cake I'm on AF now I mean hi Eggs sorry blush

Very sleepy so will go off to sleep now!!

sebsmummy1 Wed 25-Sep-13 10:01:11

So I wrote an email to Clearblue customer services re. the screwed up last test and I've got to send it to them for them to evaluate whether it was their fault or user error. Seems weird that I managed to do it fine on the first nine but not on the last one, we'll see what they say. If I get a bfn this cycle I'll definitely buy them again for next month as it was really reassuring to know when I was fertile and obviously I'm hopeful that my luteal phase may lengthen, I'm taking B6 every day in the hope that might have a positive effect.

Otherwise I'm calling today 3dpo, it would be silly to try and symptom spot so I'll just say tired and hopeful wink

Seb's been sleeping through the last 5 days. I decided to stick to a consistent bf routine and actually it's worked rather well. Previously I was giving him a feed early afternoon then a dreamfeed at 10am and then he would wake me up at 5 something or 6 something.

Now I lay down and feed him just before bed and on waking and he is managing 7.30-6.30 ish. Pleased with that, although when his teeth are hurting him or he has a snotty nose all of this goes out the window and I am up 3 times in the night.

Blackberry wishing you lots of luck this cycle. I have been check my cervix the last two months but I'm not an expert at all. In fact yesterday I read that since I have had a child already my cervix will always feel open, so I needn't have thought that was a negative thing yesterday at all. What I know is that it will be high and soft feeling when you are most fertile, and low and hard feeling just before AF. If you are pregnant it lifts high again which can be a sign of early pregnancy, but with all these things it is very dependant in the individual and some say cervix position is a terrible way to predict fertility/ pregnancy.

sebsmummy1 Wed 25-Sep-13 10:04:10

10pm -correction

BlackberrySeason Fri 27-Sep-13 00:34:17

Seb, thanks very much for the info about cervix position. I feel a bit of a wuss for not having done it up to now - May try it this cycle! Good luck for a positive end to your 2ww either for a bfp (best) or a longer LP this time! Hope cb respond positively to your message.

Spoke to a v good friend today - she is TTC but not bf as it would be dc1 for them. She's feeling quite disheartened sad as they have been trying to get pg since the start if the year but without success and she's worried about her age - I suggested she start charting as her cycles are so irregular. Hope she gets a bfp soon and we all do too!!

catellington Fri 27-Sep-13 13:08:04

Hi everyone, can I join you? I'm bf my 7 mo DD, ebf other than introduction of solids. Bottle refuser, learning to use cup slowly.

Would like to get on with having more babies grin but am hopefully a way off weaning DD. I had first AF at 6m then second started today making the first cycle 36 days long. I have been watching this thread and kellymom etc but admit it is all a mystery to me how I know what's really going on! Should I just test with ovulation tests? I am used to charting using cm as I used this for contraception before dd but not sure how accurate this is now!?

I work full time so bf before at 7am, then once during day usually 12, then from when I pick her up 4.30 on demand ( so sometimes a lot overnight but not always ). Wonder if it will be possible to conceive on this schedule although I expect to cut the lunchtime feed over next 2 months or so as solids more established.
Any tips gratefully received!

Sorry I've been absent. Had a holiday followed by a 2 week late af but all tests neg. af arrived on Monday. gutted doesn't begin to describe it.

Think it was caused by ds stomach bug causing him to revert to ebf even though he's nearly 2 followed by a week away from him. My system was all messed up.

We're now strictly back to one feed a day and af is coming to an end so back on the merry go round from today onwards.

sebsmummy1 Fri 27-Sep-13 16:15:48

Really sorry cakes. The only good thing about AF arriving is it is the start of a new cycle and hopefully it will prove to be a lucky one for you thanks. I don't know if a sudden change of breast feeding habits marks a sudden change to our hormones? I saw it as more of a gradual thing but I have no idea either way.

Hi cattellington. Wow good for you trying for no. 2 whilst working full time and nursing a 7 month old! I am in the process of telling work I won't be going back. I am absolutely gutted but it just isn't financially viable once you factor in petrol and child are costs. Would be different if I had parents who could help.

I have to say that I found internet cheapies a nightmare and couldn't get a positive with them leading me to think I wasn't ovulating. But last month I used clear blue digital and got a smiley face on cd17. So I am going to assume I ovulated even though I know it is possible to have a LH surge and not release an egg. I plan on doing them again next cycle just to see if I get a smiley face around the same time and my EWCM is also around that time. If so I will probably chart temps and CM and just make sure we BD every other day around that week.

catellington Fri 27-Sep-13 18:45:34

Thanks sebsmummy, I should say I work for myself from home so at least no commute and am in control of my day! (Hence how I can go to bf at lunchtimes). I am in the last few days of my notice period with my employer - didn't much like handing in my notice but was relief afterwards ! So good luck with that.

eggsnbeans Sat 28-Sep-13 09:33:52

Hi all and welcome catellington smile Did you ever do any charting when you were ttc? if not have a look at it to start with, I found it so much more accurate than OPKs! I think there's heaps of info on the fertility friend website IIRC. I know it helped heaps with my really irregular cycles when i was ttc DD smile

Blueberry, I have been checking cervical position too (not daily, just when I think fertile period is approaching). Cervix is different to pre-DD for sure blush but still can feel it softer and more open around ov. And is quite useful in the months when I haven't had as much EWCM or to decide if fertile period is over smile I can't really perceive difference in 'height' but that's probably just due to the 'rearrangement' thanks to DD blush

spotting for past 2 days but no real AF yet. Crampy though so probably today sad Milk has plumetted too, always a sign AF is about to hit! DD is so miserable at the moment with a cough and teething, she is just asking for milk all the time and I just don't have any sad poor thing, I feel so guilty. Anyway, we'll see what happens!

BlackberrySeason Sun 29-Sep-13 20:28:36

Cake, I am so sorry about your AF sad temporarily increasing bf definitely can cause changes to ov from what I've read. Hopefully the cycle really will be your lucky one. Sending you some thanks in the meantime.

Welcome, Cate - from what I understand you have been earlier than average in your AF returning which is great news for TTC and the most important variable is whether you are ov or not. Even if someone isn't ov when their AF first starts ov will return naturally as their baby drops feeds over time. Many people manage to get a bfp feeding quite a bit still. Lots of graduates from this thread if you read back!! Hopefully opk will show you are ov. I know opk don't work for me as I have pcos and I charted last cycle (my first after having DS in 2011) which showed I was ov due to the temp shift - another option for you to check what is happening. My last day of ewcm was my ov day according to temps, though I seemed to have patches of ewcm throughout the first part of my cycle. Sorry if tmi blush

Eggs, sorry to hear about AF maybe coming and that dd has been fed up and asking for more milk. Hopefully she will feel better when AF comes to an end. Thanks v much for the info on cervix position - I need to get to it next cycle!

Waves to sebs mummy, any reply from CB?

DS is really sick today - poor thing is throwing up and has been since this afternoon. This is when I am very pleased that I am bf as the bm is such a comfort to him.

DH is ill again too, poor thing - maybe with a milder version of the bug DS has. I have told DH he has 7 days to get well so we can swi over the vital window grin

eggsnbeans Mon 30-Sep-13 07:56:58

I got a BFP!!! grin grin grin although still only 12 dpo so bit nervous it won't be sticky! BFN yesterday (caved and tested early as was DHs birthday and was hoping to surprise him!) But peeded about 5 million times yesterday and I remembered you saying something upthread Blackberry about feeling like you had a UTI when you got your BFP with your DS... so tested again this morning and got a faint line! Still shaking a bit now! Trying not to get my hopes up though as have been spotting all weekend and feeling like AF coming, but guess it's just implantation!!! I just can't believe it happened already after taking over 2 years to conceive DD!

Your poor DS and DH Blackberry sad better this week than next though smile I know it seems like my DD and DH have been constantly sick for about 3 months, mainly because it seems to have happened at the critical time!

Wildwaterfalls Mon 30-Sep-13 08:28:34

Oh wow eggs!!!! gringrin Massive congratulations! Fantastic news - and especially as you had not been expecting it given the (implantation!) spotting! How are you feeling? Funny that if all goes well for both of us (keeping everything crossed) we will have DDs and DC2s of about the same age.

Blackberry not good with all the bugs sad. Hopefully everyone will be in better shape soon.

sebsmummy1 Mon 30-Sep-13 08:37:36

Omg what fantastic news!!!!!! So pleased for you grin

Any symptoms that made you suspect? I had mild cramping yesterday which I thought might be a good sign, but today nothing, no CM or anything. Only really weird things is I have been boiling hot in bed and having some very vivid dreams, but I actually think that's because I'm taking my B vitamins before bed as they give me hot flashes in the day, so I think I'm just getting them in the night instead now lol

AF due in the next three days, I fully anticipate her arrival angry

BlackberrySeason Mon 30-Sep-13 09:01:26

Ooh eggs I'm soooo happy for you grin grin grin no wonder you are feeling a bit in disbelief and shocked, but what amazing news!!! It really can feel like a uti, can't it? I had that with both my bfps smile thanks for the nice words about all our lurgies!

Waves to Wild smile thanks for the sympathy with bugs! How many weeks are you now?

Morning to sebs - you never know, even though it feels AF is coming you could be our next bfp!

sebsmummy1 Mon 30-Sep-13 09:26:50

Bless you blackberry :hugs:

Least I have somewhere now to chat if I'm not lucky this cycle, makes me feel less lonely lol

BlackberrySeason Mon 30-Sep-13 09:32:37

Sebs, I feel the same - the companionship on here is lovely!! smile

Nickname, Rosie, flower, boom and Satnie, any news?

Waves to anyone else who has posted and who I've missed!

BlackberrySeason Mon 30-Sep-13 09:33:01

Sarnie, not Satnie - sorry blush

BlackberrySeason Mon 30-Sep-13 09:39:23

Still so excited for you Eggs smile

So you won't have to worry about a big age gap now!

SoulCakeDuck Mon 30-Sep-13 10:04:53

Congratulations Eggs! So excited and pleased for you, fingers crossed that everything continues to go well, you'll have a scan in time for Christmas!

We're just back after a few days away for FIL birthday, did a few OPKs before I went but didn't take them with me (didn't want to have them accidentally found as 15 of us staying and sharing limited bathrooms). Were negative on days 11, 12 and 13 and again on 16 so assuming OVd somewhere during our time away. DTD on 8, 13, 15 and 17 so think we've covered all bases and will just have to wait and see if anything comes of it. Not getting hopes up as tried for over a year with dd.

BlackberrySeason Mon 30-Sep-13 10:46:47

Soul - fingers crossed for you!! smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.