Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

Wildwaterfalls Sun 23-Jun-13 21:55:13

Oh that does sound like a tricky departure from your routine Harriet. It's so annoying how everything affects the next thing isn't it - late nap means late to bed, which might mean not enough sleep, usual nap routine doesn't work the next day etc etc. Hope things are back on track. It sounds like it is actually going really well do with your DH doing the naps: 9 times sounds like a great achievement.

I am feeling really proud of myself for not POAS since Friday morning. AF hasn't arrived yet and the longer it stays away the better as at least it means good things for the luteal phase. I don't know when I ov though - need to start tracking this again.

Just a positive thought about bf: DD was unwell last night, almost 39 degrees fever, and it was so nice to be able to comfort her with nn. She fed a lot during the night, but it was lovely that it seemed to make her feel better.

Wildwaterfalls Sun 23-Jun-13 21:56:37

Comfort her with bm that should say, not nn!

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 24-Jun-13 07:54:34

Hi Wild, yes bf when they are ill is definitely one of the many many benefits smile I also love the snuggling and the fact that it helps DS doze off so fast!! Fx for you and well done for not poas - definitely good news for your lp if nothing else.

Things are getting a bit better here - DH did manage to do the nap yesterday and I think he now gets why we have to try and get my AF back. The average person takes 9 months plus to get a bfp at 39 and as I only ov every other month (v long cycle) theoretically that means 18 months for us shock

Wildwaterfalls Tue 25-Jun-13 07:55:16

BFN this morning but still no AF...

Maybe my cycles are still all over the place hmm

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 25-Jun-13 08:52:23

sad but maybe it's just too early? Or cycles are still gearing up, I guess?

Wildwaterfalls Tue 25-Jun-13 09:26:38

Yes... Maybe. It's cd31 today, but I had a feeling I might be ovulating last Monday so I may only be 8dpo, in which case it is good I guess that AF isn't here yet.

Good news by the way that your DH is on board with the importance of it all. Mine always seems to think there's less of a rush than I do, and wasn't as disappointed as I was this morning...

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 25-Jun-13 13:32:35

Snap Wild!! I think my DH has only agreed to help because he knows it's important to me. The other say he actually said we didn't need to be in a huge rush - I actually said - DH I'm 39! 39! Not young!!

Hopefully you may still get some good news than if its only 8dpo! smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 26-Jun-13 00:40:52

Quick update from Harriet Towers, the land of no AF smile

It is day 3 of our no bf down to nap policy and so far it seems to be working! DS has gone down without bm for DH absolutely fine without any upset at all for three days running.

So currently we are down to maybe 3 feeds - one feed before bed and whatever he has at night, which currently seems to be one feed around 11.30 and one at 5 am. Although as we co-sleep I'm not actually 100% sure grin

No sign of AF still, though. If nothing by mid July when DS turns 2 I am going to get DH to do all the night time routines to cut out the bf before bed. Really don't want to do that, but I do need my AF back!

How is everyone else doing?

eggsnbeans Wed 26-Jun-13 03:54:50

Sounds like a good plan Harriet smile I remember my NCT lady talking about when AF came back... she said her 3rd child it didn't come back until 2 months after she stopped BF (he was 2yrs), then her 4th child AF came back at 3m! Most things I've read say that sudden changes in feeding often trigger it, so hopefully it'll work for you smile

FX Wild, looking promising so far!

Still no sign of ovulation here (CD21) so just keeping the SWI going and hoping it happens some time soon! DD is also cutting 2 more teeth and has generally been grumpy all week too, so I guess the increased feedings probably aren't helping much. I also used to regularly have 60d cycles Harriet so know how frustrating they are when you are ttc. Did you ever get diagnosed with a cause for yours? My dr didn't even seem to think that having terribly irregular periods was a problem. hmm Typical male!

Wildwaterfalls Wed 26-Jun-13 07:44:16

That is really excellent news re naps Harriet. And no tears/upset either - fantastic! I really hope it will translate into AF coming back soon. Do you feel AF or ov type symptoms sometimes? Looking back I think that's what I had in the month leading up to AF, discharge etc (tmi).

And eggs good for you for keeping going with the SWI! I know exactly how you feel - no idea when I actually ov-ed so just felt we had better keep going smile. Not that it's a chore I guess, but with DD still waking up so regularly at night we were very tired so had to make a specific effort. Are you using a fertility monitor or OPK?

Well, AF arrived here today - I know I'm lucky to have it so won't complain too much. But if I ov-ed when I think (fear) I did, that means a luteal phase of 9 days. That's really short isn't it? Does anyone know if this improved with reduced bf? Not that we're actually managing any reduction at the moment - we're staying at my DPs and DD is eating less well here for some reason, so bf lots at night.

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 26-Jun-13 08:58:33

Eggs and Wild thanks so much for the support - very much appreciated. Can't talk about my AF to just anyone grin

Eggs, how frustrating, but maybe ov is just about to happen so all your swi will catch the egg smile I have pcos and an underactive thyroid, which probably account for the infrequent ov!

Wild, sorry to hear AF arrived but now at least you have another chance to go for it. I personally wouldn't worry unduly about that lp because I've known people to get pg despite a short lp and I also would have thought it will lengthen naturally over time. I think ten days is usually thought of as ok, so it just needs to lengthen by one day to put you in that ok bracket.

It's funny you mention discharge, because I keep feeling I'm starting AF then going to the loo to find its just that blush I felt quite pmt ish and emotional this week - just keeping fingers so firmly crossed! Also had a slightly unhappy tummy which is usually an AF symptom for me.

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 27-Jun-13 21:44:37

Eggs, any sigh of ov yet?

How are things, Wild?

Day 6 of the first unbroken run of DH getting DS down at lunchtime!! So, now down to bedtime and night feeding only.

Wildwaterfalls Fri 28-Jun-13 09:03:59

Wow, bedtime and night feeding only - AF can't be far away now. The symptoms you describe below sound very promising, much like I felt before AF turned up. When/how did you drop the first thing in the morning feed by the way? We still have that one, plus bedtime and night.

Things here are fine, except DD still wakes to feed at least twice at night. As we don't co-sleep that means getting up, and waking up properly, twice for me. I think we need to decrease that, for TTC but also for me going back to work. The silly thing is, although she adores her dad during the day, at night if he goes to pick her up she becomes hysterical! How do you guys find DH/DP helping with night wakings working? We even tried putting my t-shirt on him to see if it was a smell thing, but she wasn't fooled!

eggsnbeans Sun 30-Jun-13 03:22:41

Wild, my DH is really good about helping with night wakings (lucky I know!) Although sometimes he tries to be just a bit tooo quick and DD ends up getting more upset and it takes twice as long confused He started doing a bit when she was about 5m and started waking up a lot screaming... if he went in she was fine with a bit of reassurance, but if it was me I had to pick her up and she would be awake for over an hour!

Good work on the feeding reduction Harriet! We seem to be increasing feeds at the moment now rather than dropping. confused DD still eats next to nothing solids wise, so no idea how we're going to cope with me going back to work soon. Seems pointless to switch her to formula for the daytime, then onto cows milk at 12 months. I've just keep hoping that one day she'll just start eating properly!

Don't know what's going on this month still! No EWCM, but some cramps and sore nipples for a couple of days, so perhaps it sneaked up on me??? Will find out in a week or so I guess when AF arrives! I think this is probably an anovulatory cycle for me though sad

Wildwaterfalls Mon 01-Jul-13 14:07:42

Ooh eggs that sounds quite promising with sore nipples etc. Any more symptoms? When is AF due? Fingers crossed for you!

We had another go at DH settling DD during the night last night and it went better than usual: no hysterical screaming. She did calm down and go back to sleep but kept waking, so in the end I fed her anyway. But some progress!

We're gearing up for another month of SWI at this end... AF finished. Thinking of investing in one of those OPK stick sets this month, but we are abroad at the moment staying with DPs so not sure if they sell them here too.

How is it going with the naps Harriet? And remember when AF arrives we want to be the first to know grin

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 02-Jul-13 09:22:38

grin Wild - you will all be the first to know!!

You asked about dropping the morning feed - I got out a musical toy DS absolutely loves and when he woke up in the morning and wanted to latch on I started up the toy, which distracted him. This worked really well and now he no longer expects to feed when he wakes up. He was around 22 months when I dropped that one iirc.

Eggs, with solids I wouldn't worry unduly - I think all of a sudden they often just 'click' with solids and start eating more. The bf then gradually reduce alongside them eating more. I always tried to remember 'food is for fun until you're one' when DS was this age when I was wondering about quantity of solids. He now eats solids like a little horse and was perfect weight for height at his one year check. I expressed a bit when I first went back - he was one - and it was absolutely fine. The bf has been so handy and comforting for him during toddler illnesses, so I'm glad we didn't switch to ff.

Things are definitely going better here - DH has done very nap from last Sunday on, so we are on day 10 of no feeding between 5 am and 7.30 pm. Surely AF can't be far away now?! smile I had a horrific migraine yesterday and have read that can happen when you get your AF back after bf, so am trying not to get too excited!!

eggsnbeans Thu 04-Jul-13 06:31:49

Thanks Harriet smile I think she must actually have started eating a bit more as we only do 4 feeds a day now, will hardly even accept a 5th feed if offered! I think I get worried as most of my NCT group are doing purees and one of the babies that is 7.5m is eating 5 large tablespoons three times a day! Although I will also say that this baby has gone from chubby to extremely fat in the past 6w since I last saw her!

No news here still sad Although I have cramps, headaches and a mouth ulcer, sure signs AF must be here anyday. The B6 makes me slightly nauseous, even on a full stomach, which has my brain thinking it's MS for a couple of seconds until it remembers it's from the B6!

Did you get some OPKs Wild? I think I'll try them next cycle too. Never had much success with them when we were ttc the first time, but I probably just need to use them on more days each cycle. Would love to do the whole SMEP but don't think poor DH could cope blush! Keep joking that I should swap him for a 19yr old version grin. Ah the joys of getting old!

Wildwaterfalls Fri 05-Jul-13 21:32:14

Ah yes the SMEP, brilliant in theory but a bit hard in practice when you're ancient exhausted like DH and I! Managed to get hold of the OPKs, bought two sets of 7 so will start with then tomorrow to be certain to catch ov. Obsessed, me?

I know how you feel eggs re: other babies eating more. We're doing BLW and it seems that only recently DD has realised food is not just another toy. And some of her NCT friends are still eating loads more! But it doesn't matter at all... As long as they're healthy and growing!

Any AFs arriving? Harriet, although I know it is not very common I suppose you could actually get pg before AF arrives, especially if you are having ov symptoms. I do have one friend who had that happen. But if not hope it all starts soon.

Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing!

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 05-Jul-13 22:28:09

Hi all, still no AF despite the horrific migraine, loads of discharge - tmi blush and the ewcm earlier in the month!! Surely has to be soon now grin DS is 2 next week and I worked out today that I've only had 3 AF since Jan 2010!

Fingers crossed for both of you to get bfps soon, Wild and Eggs - I remember from last time how the swi gets a bit exhausting smile

eggsnbeans Sun 07-Jul-13 02:47:46

AF arrived on Friday sad so B6 not having any effect yet it seems sad Although this cycle has been a couple of days shorter, but considering how irregular I've always been that's probably just me!

I had been thinking the same Harriet that you might be one of the lucky ones that gets pg before AF returns. grin I have read that the later AF comes back, the more likely the cycle is to be fertile, so you should have some superduper eggs about to pop!

It's weird, my brain seems to have forgotten that I have conceived, baked, hatched and been feeding a child in the past 18 months, and not ttc! blush I keep getting the old thoughts that we have been ttc for ages and are never going to be blessed with a baby... then kick myself and remember that this is only my 4th cycle, my hormones are still a bit screwed and I have a gorgeous DD!

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 07:01:31

Eggs, sorry about AF and the short cycle thing. If you were irregular before your last pg though you are probably just going back to that, as you say.

I was talking about this with a friend as I think when you start to TTC a mental switch gets flicked so you suddenly really really want a baby immediately. You am me along for a bit, then decide to try in a relaxed way and then it becomes charting and swi with intensity pretty quickly - or maybe that is just me grin

I hope I do indeed get a bfp without AF - would be lovely - thanks for the bfp vibes both of you!

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 07:01:59

Not an me - amble - thanks phone

skylark101 Sun 07-Jul-13 20:54:34

Hi all, just checking in to say hello. The progress on naps / getting DH involved sounds good Harriet. That was also the route we went, as impossible for me to get my DD down without feeding. My pgy seems to be going ok. ;-) No sign of DD going off BF, she still goes for it 2-3 times a day, though sometimes more for comfort/to get herself to sleep if tired. Not sure ill be able to manage tandem feeding as ill be 41 when the new baby arrives. So hopefully DD will gradually cut down. But will just have to see. Sending you all good wishes to hurry up AF for Harriet and BFP for everyone.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 21:18:53

Hi skylark, good to hear your pg is going well and you are still tandem bf. hopefully bf both will go fine when the new baby is here - she will cut down naturally in her own time. Thanks for the good AF wishes!

Wildwaterfalls Sun 07-Jul-13 22:52:59

Hi all

Eggs - sorry to hear about AF. Frustrating isn't it. But 4th cycle really is very early on as you say. And you are so right to point out how lucky we are to have our DCs.

Harriet - must be quite strange in a way to have your AF so eagerly awaited by a forum of Internet friends smile. But really hope it - or that BFP - turns up soon!

Skylark - thanks got checking in and really pleased all is progressing well! Fingers crossed for a smooth bf/weaning transition as time progresses!

All well here, POAS every day now for ov checking purposes. Keep getting excited as there is always a faint second line, but that doesn't count on these type if tests. Lots of SWI anyway - the good news is DH seems on board with the serious trying! But it's almost too hot for it now...

This thread is not accepting new messages.