TTC or pregnancy on prednisolone or similar part 10

(1000 Posts)
roseandroli Thu 14-Feb-13 10:17:57

We are now on part 10 of this thread! I hope you can all find this. This is a positive thread for all those diagnosed with High or Very High NK Cells and looking to start TTC or already pregnant on Prednisolone and/or Intralipid treatment.

Newcomers very much welcome!

Links to earlier threads:

Part 9: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/a1552980-TTC-or-pregnancy-on-prednisolone-or-similar-part-9

Part 8: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/a1492407-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-8#33842381

Part 7 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1452035-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-7

Part 6 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1419032-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-6

Part 5 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1391787-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-5

Part 4 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1366323-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-4

Part 3 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1348773-TTC-pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-3

Part 2 here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1323594-TTC-pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-2

Part 1 here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1236324-TTC-pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar

freelancegirl Thu 18-Apr-13 15:58:49

Ahh Mollie. Tentative congratulations from those of us who understand what you are going through. It's good that you are on a high dose. Are you also having intralipids? I know Mr S doesn't always recommend them for everyone. You are not alone, we have all been there one way or the other. Time drags though I know. Just take it day by day. I too get pregnant ever time (so far) and hey, it only takes one good one plus a shit load of drugs right?

We are here for hand holding! So please don't feel lonely. When is your scan?

mollieboo Thu 18-Apr-13 16:25:35

Thanks free, I'm really glad you said you get pregnant v quick too as it worked out for you and at around the same age I think (I'm 36), I used to love getting upduffed so quick but now it makes me panic but one egg has to be good at some point (or sperm?!). Yes I'm on intralipids until 32 weeks if I get there, don't care as long as it all works. Also on clexane, hydroxy & the usual stuff. It says to wean off pred at 9 weeks, that seems really early, was it the same for you? I'll worry about that if I get there, just getting through each day at mo, yes it drags soooo much esp before the first scan!

lemonsherbet Thu 18-Apr-13 16:41:19

Mollie congrats on the BFP. I think you just need to keep to the old saying PUPO (pregnant until proven otherwise.) Just take it one day at a time and hope this one is a sticky one for you.

Congrats to Buster and Kittens to

mollieboo Thu 18-Apr-13 16:47:45

Thanks Lemon, my hubby says pupo all the time now since I told him the term, it does help for some reason!

lemonsherbet Thu 18-Apr-13 16:53:14

Should point out we are always here for virtual handholding

roseandroli Fri 19-Apr-13 11:54:45

Dear Mollie, congratulations on the BFP, that's wonderful. I can understand how you feel, the days and weeks seem endless at the beginning. But hopefully you have a sticky little bean in there.

We had our 20 week scan yesterday, and in keeping with others, we're having a little boy. There must be some correlation between the steroids and gender, though buster you seemed to have bucked the trend!

mollieboo Fri 19-Apr-13 12:46:41

rose huge congrats on finding out you're having a little boy, how exciting! Yes there are definitely more boys than girls being born on here, hmm maybe it is the steroids, never thought of that. So glad everything is going well for you x

Thank you for the congrats, gosh I hope its a sticky one but only time will tell as we all know on here. Got my first scan on 6 May at 6w3d if I get there, hope its not too early to see anything. I've only ever had one good scan out of 9 pregnancies so will obviously be terrified but you just have to go with it don't you. I'm away on the weekend and feel desperate for a bottle of wine!

Waves to all, hope everyone is doing good x

freelancegirl Fri 19-Apr-13 13:28:54

Rose that's great news and congratulations on finding out it's a boy. Yes maybe there's something in the theory! I'm trying to remember who had had girls on here. Mind you, all my nct friends have boys too. Hope you manage to relax over the weekend mollie. Yes shame about the wine!

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Fri 19-Apr-13 13:58:18

Congratulations mollieboo I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good first scan.
Wow Rose a boy, how wonderful. Are you feeling excited?

No news for me yet. I'm 9DPO and feeling some mild nausea but DH just phoned to say he has a stomach bug so that will explain the nausea then.

We are going to Italy for three weeks tomorrow. If I get my BFP I'll need to book a quick trip to London from Pisa to have the Intralipids. Sounds very flash but I'm not a good flyer, so would not enjoy it.

I had a great 40th birthday last week. Passing the 40 mark makes me suddenly feel there is even less chance for us which is stupid as I'm sure there are other factors involved not just the big 4oh.

mollieboo Fri 19-Apr-13 15:25:57

Thanks accidental, really hope your nausea is due to bfp, even if it means the mad dash to get intralipids, the things we have to do! I hate flying too but love exotic hols so needs must, just don't feel very safe up in the air! Glad u had a great 40th. A man in work's wife had her second child last year under Mr S at 43. Have a great hol, 3 weeks in Italy sounds amazing!

Iggi101 Sat 20-Apr-13 07:13:54

Happy to see some more bfps on here smile I think they seem to come in cycles!
Accidental, I was pg with what was to be mc2 on my 40th birthday, but since turning 40 I've gone on to have two other unsuccessful pgs, and one very successful one. You are not finished yet!

Abney Sun 21-Apr-13 10:00:01

Buster a huge congratulations on the birth of your baby girl. Really good news. Mollie congrats on your BFP. I have also got pg easily. Remember an egg is an egg. The more you get pg the more chance you have. You could just be waiting for that lucky one. I have been pg 11 times, 1 DS and another DS due in 3 weeks time. As Dr S said to me you have had more than your share of bad luck. I will keep everything crossed for you. Accidental my first DS was born when I was 41.5 years old with the 2nd one (due in 3 weeks time at 45) so you don't have to worry too much. Rose congrats on your 20 weeks scan. Another hurdle over and done with.

Good luck to all ttc's. The sun is shining let's hope some of it shines on you and that more BFP's are announced soon.

ChoccyPud Sun 21-Apr-13 15:51:22

Hi all. Well done Mollie - fingers crossed for you.

Apologies in advance for what will be a bit of a me-rant...

I've always got pg the first or second month or trying, not that that's done me any good, obv, aside from leading to me and dh joking that we can turn round a pg in 3 months from ttc to mc. Not any more it seems - AF arrived today with a vengeance and cramping worse than a mc, which is most unusual for me. Normally I'm 28 days, regular as clockwork and don't get painful periods. Had a positive ov stick last month, but no smiley ov stick this month. After 7 mc's, the bleeding of the last of which lasted for over a month, and cycles of 29, 27, and 25(!) days the last three months, I'm beginning to wonder what's changed...

I'm aware this will sound insensitive to those who have difficulty getting off the starting line, but irregular periods and possibly not ovulating is a whole new experience for me. I'm left wondering if all the drugs and failed pg's have left a mark, or nature is breaking something gently to me. I'm also aware that although this is different for me, it's by no means unusual to take six-plus months to conceive so its not like there's anything "legitimate" to worry about yet. And there is a good dose of pmt grr, hopelessness and frustration mixed in today as you can imagine!

On the upside I'm opening a guilt-free can of Guinness when I've typed this (plenty of iron you know, and tastier than Floradix). If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, I'd be grateful. This can include shouts of "pull yourself together woman before I hit you with a wet fish"!

Waves to all smile

duggs1976 Sun 21-Apr-13 17:54:37

Hey choccy! Totally natural to feel this way. I always got pregnant within the first 3 to 6 cycles before all the steroid treatment. Now I havent been naturally pregnant for 15 mths. Then bfp and chemical in jan after stopping treatment for a while. The issue now seems to be my thyroid levels which have obviously been affected by all the drugs I've been on. Can't really win. I don't consider pred or dr s plan as having been any use for me personally and I've managed to find the main issue with DH, but I think we all know this for the bunch of us (his v unlucky 15% of women he sees who are mainly on the SO thread) that we have had to keep investigating. For you though choccy it sounds hormonal more than anything else. When was the last time you just had a normal hormone test? You aren't old enough for anything else to be going and you are also probably just now responding like a "normal" mid 30's female. What drugs r u on right now?

ChoccyPud Sun 21-Apr-13 20:18:07

Hey Duggs. How you doing?

I'm on Pred (and Omeprazole) from ov to AF (and continue @25 on BFP - he advised no point upping to 40mg as its obv not the defining factor for me), I take Hydroxy all the time (non stop since early October I think this time round), plus the usual multi vits, omega 3, 75mg aspirin, 50ug Vit D3, 500mg resveratrol. And drink 3 or so cups of decaf green tea a day. I also have acupuncture every week and reflexology most weeks.

It's just I haven't changed any of my drugs/acupuncture routine, so confused about what other variables there are that might explain these differences. It's hormones probably isn't it?! <sigh>

duggs1976 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:08:22

Yup! Sounds hormonal (such medical professionals that we've all become wink) so what is dr s theory with you then if pred isn't the defining factor ( easy to see) and hydroxy hasn't made any difference what is he suggesting is the issue if in fact he has a theory at all? I'm sure you did say a while back but can't remember ...

Arianrhod Mon 22-Apr-13 08:23:36

choccy Just my tuppence worth .. how long now have you been doing the pred from ov to AF routine, continuous months I mean? I'm no expert, obviously, but I still believe that pred messed with my cycles - they've been perfectly normal since about 2 months after I stopped taking them. Also I did a bit of research (you're surprised, right?) and it's well known in the body-building world that taking steroids can put a complete stop to a woman's fertility. Now perhaps they're talking about higher doses, I'm not sure - but certainly steroids are indicated in fertility issues amongst female body-builders (including completely stopping ovulation). They're advised to come off the steroids completely for a period of time (I forget how long) before wanting to start trying for a baby.

Obviously this may not be your issue at all. I know you have a problem with high TNFa, right? Was it ever determined why you have this problem - what's causing it - by the way? Not that that makes any difference to your dilemma now, I just wondered if the cause had been targetted. I assume you've had the LH/FSH/E2 testing done - although as duggs says, you're still very young smile

I'm sure I've not helped in the least!!, but just random thoughts.

/waves to everyone, and cautious grats to mollie smile

Iggi101 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:59:10

Has you tried agnus castar (sp?) Choccy - a low tech way of regulating cycles, so I believe. Didn't try it myself though, so can't vouch for it.

Arianrhod Mon 22-Apr-13 15:17:38

I take agnus castus iggi .. fab stuff, I swear by it.

Brennac Mon 22-Apr-13 16:36:02

Hi there

someone pointed me to this thread as somewhere that may give me a bit of reassurance. I'm under Dr S, diagnosed with high NK cells and on Letrozole and Pred. Only one my second cycle of this treatment with a BFN both times but putting all my hopes on this.

Weve been TTC for 2 years and only fallen preg once, and this resulted in a very early miscarriage. All positive success stories from anyone in the same boat and under Dr S will keep me going!

duggs1976 Mon 22-Apr-13 16:44:07

Hi brenac! There are lots of successes with dr s - they usually happen pretty quickly and some take a bit longer and then some have other issues on top so hopefully you will fall into camp one. But do be aware and vigilant dr s isn't the most extensive in this field but is the cheapest I believe so is usually first port of call for many. Best of luck there are people from all camps on here so any questions ask awaygrin

ChoccyPud Mon 22-Apr-13 19:20:12

This was month three Ari. Pred has never messed with my cycles before, but maybe the last mc, dreadful and long lasting as it was, has tweaked something. I don't know why my TNFa is raised. My parents both have/had immune issues - Dad was diabetic, mum has/had food allergies, skin allergies... That's probably landed with me I guess? But no I've not had any explanation, just "this is high". I haven't had tests for LH/FSH/E2 I don't think, unless they were part of Mr S's original tests... Will dig out the results I've got and see.

Will get some agnus castus - what's another supplement?! Thanks for the suggestion iggi.

Hi Brennac and welcome, though sorry you find yourself here obviously. You'll find a wealth of info on the previous threads but do ask any questions there's a LOT of knowledge and experience around here smile

freelancegirl Mon 22-Apr-13 19:23:18

Hello Brennac nice to hear from you - you've come to the right place for advice, support and shared experience of the not much fun business that can be recurrent mc. I really wish we still had a list going, at least of all the babies that had been born, as you would see just how many babies there have been here so far and hopefully with more to come. Granted, not everyone has yet got there but I think the success rate is aboit 85%, and when considering the people that find this treatment and some of our histories, ages etc etc that's pretty good going.

I had a further mc on the treatment and I remember feeling very unlucky to have been the only one (that I knew of back then) as everyone else seemed to have mcs, start the treatment then have a baby. But my DS was born after my second round of treatment. Following on from what Duggs said above it seems that if the problem is 'just' recurrent miscarriage then the treatment seems really to work exceptionally well. If however it turns out there are other things that need investigating such as your OH's sperm, other infections etc etc then this can cause additional problems. Of course sometimes you won't know about these things until you've tried this treatment and it hasn't worked! But I feel you have every reason to be positive.

Some of us get pregnant very easily (and then lose babies all the same) but there are people on here who haven't got pregnant easily and have still had babies on the treatment, so do take heart.

Brennac Tue 23-Apr-13 11:20:14

Hi freelancegirl, ChoccyPud and Duggs1976, thank you so much for your messages. It feels good to have found somewhere that I can get some support, see your experiences and ask questions!
It is reassuring to know that lots of you got there in the end, I just need to keep positive I think....just starting month 3 so here we go again.
Quick question, do any of you have any understanding or experience of the affect that any alcohol has on the success of this treatment? I am being 'sensible' and don't get me wrong I'm not going on any 'benders' but I do like a glass of wine or two with a meal at weekends and I'm trying to maintain some normality! I don't want to get too obsessed each month as it just makes it all the more painful but I want to also give us the best fighting chance. Thoughts???

freelancegirl Tue 23-Apr-13 12:48:17

I think I can speak for most of us here by saying eat, drink and be merry smile
I kept it down to a couple of nights a week and 'only' three drinks a night when TTC. Hey surely alcohol has a negative effect on nk cells and that can only be a good thing, but I'm not a doctor of course...

This thread is not accepting new messages.