Losing weight and TTC

(11 Posts)
cardiffmummy Tue 12-Feb-13 08:15:05

Hi just wondered if anyone had any experience with losing weight whilst TTC either now or with a previous pregnancy? I'm overweight - 3 stone heavier than I was when I got pregnant with DS (age 3). I've been doing the 5:2 diet for the past month, which has worked brilliantly as I've lost a stone already. My plan had been to continue with this until I got my weight down and then start TTC. But we've now decided just to get on with it!!! I wouldn't be happy doing 5:2 anymore as I think the days of 500cals may potentially not be good for the fetus, but would like to continue to try and lose weight as long as possible, but in a sensible way! It could take months to conceive anyway. So I'm thinking I should try and eat really healthily and count my calories, perhaps aiming to reduce calorie intake by 15-20% or so. Does that sound sensible??

QTPie Tue 12-Feb-13 08:58:01

Something like Weight Watchers? Think that is supposed to be healthy for TTC and pregnancy and you can get some support.

Good luck with everything smile

cardiffmummy Tue 12-Feb-13 10:03:46

Yes I guess WW or SW might be a good idea - they're both basically about healthy eating, no fads etc. Will give it some thought. Thanks for your reply. Am excited about TTC but anxious about weight and effects of pregnancy.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 12-Feb-13 10:44:55

I'm about 3 stone overweight and I was low carbing and exercising whilst TTC. Now we had reversible fertility problems which were treated but the month I got my BMI under 30 was the month we finally conceived.

I think a less drastic weight loss plan would be safer, especially for the periods where you could be pregnant. If you want a slimming club, SW is probably a better choice because they will allow you go continue when you're pregnant (under supervision).

Good luck! smile

cardiffmummy Tue 12-Feb-13 13:36:31

Hi HavingALittleFaithBaby hope you don't mind me asking but were your fertility problems weight related? I came off the pill in November, had a normal bleed as usual, then a period just over a month later - so a little later than usual, and then another period 2 weeks after that!! Don't know whether this is due to stopping the pill, being overweight or losing weight, but no idea whether I'm actually ovulating or not! confused

MaybeAgain Tue 12-Feb-13 17:49:09

Hiya
We're hoping to start TTC #3 from April. I'm currently doing WW and have looked at possible healthy eating plans for during pregnancy. WW don't allow you to keep membership whilst pregnant, SW do. With SW you don't have small portions and are encouraged to cook most meals from scratch.

I've lost 3 stone since having my DS and joined SW when he was 6 weeks old and I was breast feeding. I really like SW but am now doing WW as I find it easier to stick with.

One of the (many) things I worry about is putting on so much weight again whilst pregnant. I know that I will gain weight, and expect to, but I just ate everything with my 2 previous pregnancies. I put on 4 stone with my DD. I have lost it both times but it's such hard work. I aim to keep up the exercise for as long as I can too.

I will not pay for a weight loss class at all when I do become pregnant, but I have lots of recipe books from SW, and I plan to eat good, homemade meals. I feel that I can't 'eat for 2' as I did previously, as my body can't take such a huge weight gain again. I hope I remember this good advice when the time comes though.

At the moment, as we're not yet TTC, I'm trying to get my weight down as much as poss. I'm just above 'healthy' BMI, and would be over the moon if I get within this before April, just need to step away from the creme eggs wink

MaybeAgain Tue 12-Feb-13 17:52:13

Meant to say, we'll done on your weight loss with the 5:2 diet. I've given it a go but I was so hungry, think I'm too much of a pig for fasting. Quite a few people in work are doing it and have found it easy, with good losses.

cardiffmummy Tue 12-Feb-13 18:10:49

Eating for 2 was my problem - but it didn't stop after DS was born!! I've found the 5:2 quite easy and it has made me understand more about why I'm eating and whether I actually need to, so I'm hoping this will help me continue to eat healthily. I have done SW but didn't have huge success mainly because of portion sizing I think. I exercise 2-3 times a week so I'm intending to keep doing this whilst TTC and once pregnant.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 12-Feb-13 21:08:07

Hi. No our fertility problems were male factor (hormone imbalance) but I think me losing weight, feeling better about myself and being healthier helped. I'm delighted to say at 30 weeks pregnant now I've only gained 9lb too, through eating small meals and being physically active at work (I'm a nurse).

cardiffmummy Tue 12-Feb-13 21:56:58

Wow I'm amazed you've only gained 9lbs! That gives me hope that I would be able to keep the pregnancy weight gain under control!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 12-Feb-13 22:08:38

Yes I'm ruddy delighted! pleased. Changing to a very physically active job at 12 weeks definitely helped smile Obviously it varies but I've kept in the mindset of eating what I fancy but not over-indulging, telling myself I only need an extra 200 calories a day rather than eating for two and it seemed to be working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now