a safe sanctuary for larger ladies who are ttc!

(89 Posts)
acsr1987 Sun 03-Feb-13 21:03:25

im starting a new thread for ladies who dont want to be judged about being a chubster, and to know the hurt it feels to be told your too fat to get pregnant, yet see heffers bigger than u with their babies. to be comfort eating because yet again your af has come. to try really hard to shift the buldge but only get a few pounds off.
im here for you ladies....
no skinny minnies or put downs please or we will squash u with our big fat arses!!!!

ScottyDoc Tue 05-Feb-13 21:00:21

Calibee Use your brain and read back through my posts. When have I been unprofessional once? You and others are severely over sensitive to the point of it being a real issue. I would rather treat a heroin addict who wants to change their life and is making a conscious effort than some obese women who continue making excuse for themselves and refuse to hear the truth. It's a sad reality but has opened my eyes even more to the facts.

CaliBee Tue 05-Feb-13 21:00:29

Blimey....so scotty have you been reading any of the actual posts on here?? The majority are from ladies already embarking upon healthier lifestyle choices. However only another overweight person would understand the challenges that this creates. Hence "support" thread. Good night and good luck to you too wink

CaliBee Tue 05-Feb-13 21:01:24

Shush now scotty....

ScottyDoc Tue 05-Feb-13 21:03:34

Happily calibee. Evening all. And I genuinely hope you think twice about TTC when being obese. X

GoSuckEggs Tue 05-Feb-13 21:24:30

of course we will scotty, just as soon as you think twice before you post knob-ish posts in future. X

gollygosh123 Tue 05-Feb-13 21:25:02

'I would rather treat a heroin addict who wants to change their life and is making a conscious effort than some obese women who continue making excuse for themselves and refuse to hear the truth

MORONIC

bugoven Tue 05-Feb-13 22:21:33

The thing about food is it's essential. Trying to give it up completely is dangerous and even meal substitutes are likely to damage your metabolism and result in regaining all of the weight lost or more. In deciding to TTC I have happily given up smoking completely and drinking alcohol completely but still have to eat! This isn't simple for me and I'm sure it isn't for any of you.
I want to be a mum so badly I would never eat again if that was the answer! Unfortunately I've gained 3 stones TTC because of my new healthy habits.

bugoven Tue 05-Feb-13 22:22:24

2 stones not 3. Stupid, fat fingers grin

hopefulgum Tue 05-Feb-13 22:44:00

I have just read this entire thread and I can't believe how judgy and nasty some posters are (thinking dog with a bone).

To categorise all overweight women as a time-bomb of health problems when ttc and pregnant is a simple and limited view. So many factors are involved and although, statistically there may be extra risks associated with pregnancy in overweight and obese women, it does not mean that being thin = no problems.

I have had three miscarriages and I recall reading, after the first one that being overweight may have been a factor. I was devastated to think I might have caused the miscarriage because I had a BMI of 30. However, my doctor was able to reassure me that it was highly unlikely that it caused my miscarriage and in fact it was a chromosomal issue related to my advanced maternal age.

I know some people consider me to be irresponsible to ttc at my age as there a risks associated with advanced maternal age, but it won't stop me. Frankly no one has the right to interfere with my decisions about my fertility, that's entirely up to me.

It has been a long hard road with the miscarriages, but I have actually reduced my BMI since the last miscarriage to about 28.3, but haven't conceived since(I last miscarried in May '12). Clearly my weight isn't contributing to fertility issues, it is my age.

If infertility is due to lack of ovulation, and that is caused by being overweight, then perhaps one has to consider weight as a factor, but if you are ovulating, then it is unlikely that weight is contributing to problems conceiving.

Good luck to everyone ttc, I hope everyone gets their longed-for babies soon. Everyone here would clearly love a baby and size makes no difference to your capacity to love a child.thanks

Mumma1989 Tue 05-Feb-13 23:13:32

At the risk of getting flamed here, I think some valid points have been made on this thread. I don't really get how a person is so bad for disagreeing with TTC whilst being at a high BMI? Surely it's common sense and rationale that you don't try to embark on a pg when you aren't in good shape?

CaliBee Tue 05-Feb-13 23:17:35

Here here gum.
Mumma...i think the point really is that as the thread title implies...its supposed to be a safe haven, somewhere for support and encouragement. That is all.

JaquelineHyde Tue 05-Feb-13 23:28:00

Oh dear the crazy doc is back... Ignore, ignore, ignore ladies, if you feed the troll you only make it stronger.

Weight can be changed for the better but sadly nasty little attitudes can't be and they tend to be far more dangerous unfortunately.

Being the heaviest woman on this thread (having already lost 8 stone) and 29 weeks pregnant, please believe me when I say it is possible to concieve and have a wonderfully healthy baby.

OK, ok it isn't perfect but quite honestly hardly any pregnancies are, do everything you can to be as healthy as you can and keep up the shagging grin

Oh and just so you know my consultant has said my pregnancy is pretty damn perfect, my latest growth scan was text book perfect and he said he hadn't seen one so spot on. No problems with blood tests, urine samples and my blood pressure (apart from on one occassion) is perfect.

Don't know about you lot but I'm more than happy to listen to a qualified consultant, who knows me and my past medical history and ignore some crazy internet loon. grin

JaquelineHyde Tue 05-Feb-13 23:35:07

Mumma there have been some very valid points made that on a thread soliciting advice and opinion on trying to conceive when over weight would have been welcomed and discussed openly.

However, this is a support thread for ladies who already know and understand the risks involved and have made the decision to continue to try and improve their health whilst trying to concieve.

It is unhelpful and down right nasty of doc to come on here telling us how selfish we all are for doing that and then making a direct link between being over weight and having a still born baby.....a really nice touch when I am due to give birth in a matter of weeks!

gollygosh123 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:14:58

bump as was helpful !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now