Fertility Monitors - do they work for irregular cycles?

(5 Posts)
Tinyflutterby Fri 25-Jan-13 14:58:30

Hi there, have just had a look at these monitors as I have a wildly erratic cycle and hoped it would help me predict ovulation a bit better. Was a bit shocked at the price of them however - do you think they're worth the money and do they work if your cycle is irregular? Thanks.

Would avoid such monitors completely if your cycle is irregular in nature; they simply do not work in such circumstances and you'd be wasting your cash. With irregular cycles as well, you are less likely to be ovulating regularly so it is better to find out exactly why the cycle is so irregular.

Irregular periods are often caused by hormonal imbalances; two common culprits are problems with the thyroid gland or a condition called polycystic ovaries. Both should be checked for via blood tests and these can be done via your GP.

Soph80 Sun 27-Jan-13 07:32:12

My CBFM worked brilliantly for several cycles and then kept missing ovulation, causing us to bd at the wrong time. Not sure if I'd stopped ovulating or anything but I gave up and went back to OPKs!

JanieLovesHerThreeLeggedCat Sun 27-Jan-13 13:44:24

hi tiny i also have uber irregular cycles... 50 days per cycle, although last one was 45 days - AF arrived yesterday but now has gone again which is v strange for me as normally my period lasts about 6 days. I bought some really cheap opk sticks on ebay and have found them pretty good at letting me know when i ovulate. i also have looked into taking agnus castus but i have read really good and but also really bad things about it - can be v dangerous to take after ovulation if you do manage to get pg, so i might try to speak with my dr to see what they can recommend.

Tinyflutterby Wed 30-Jan-13 14:34:03

Thanks all. Janie I saw a Medical Herbalist first time round ttc and whether it was that or just co-oincidence but I found out I was pregnant about a month after starting to take the herbs. The good thing was she was qualified so knew what was safe to take. It was expensive though which is why I havn't gone back. Just bought some opk to try that as was looking at cm but completely lost now, don't know whether I've ovulated or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now