TTC #1 share your stories, anxieties and excitement

(8 Posts)
MrsDsquared Fri 25-Jan-13 01:52:09

So me and my husband currently ttc for our first child for ten months now! Share share share

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 14:09:33

I'm guessing you're frightened? That you're worries there might be a problem? All very natural ... we try and avoid pregnancy for so many years, then when we actually intend to become pg, it often takes ages.

Or what's really grating is that you learn that all your mates conceive within 1 minute of their blokes just taking their trousers off

It took 9 months for DH and I to conceive DD1 naturally; 2 years and 6 cycles of Clomid to conceive DD2. We were diagnosed as 'Unexplained Infertility'. But I'm not going to dwell on that, because we made her in the end!!

How old are you? Do either of you have children already? My advice would be not to nip to see your GP a soon as you've been trying for 12 months - I had no idea how invasive infertility tests are for the woman and I wasn't at all prepared. Worth it now, like, but quite daunting.

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 14:22:01

Oh, realised that I haven't shared the 'excitement' about my pregnancies! Well, with DD1, 9 months felt like it ha taken 9 years - I was elated to be pregnant! I had a very easy pregnancy with her; the 12 week scan was magical because it actually proved (to me) I was pg!

Then with DD2, I didn't think I was of because I'd been having cramps and spotting (all period symptoms for me). I was so brow-beaten, I didn't think I could possibly be pregnant - just another tricky Clomid side-effect. I did a pregnancy test just to rule it out ... and those two pink lines showed straight away! Turns out I'd Ben having implantation cramps and spotting grin.

Just the best thing!

I look back to those times and I know that they are amongst the best times I'll ever have in my life smile Pregnancy is magical; babies and children are precious and I'm thankful to God, or science, or whatever that we have our precious, much longed-for daughters. I sincerely wish the same for you x

One last thing, stop 'trying'. Just have sex and enjoy it. If we decide we might like another baby in the future, I want an accident next time wink

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 14:23:36

Oh, realised that I haven't shared the 'excitement' about my pregnancies! Well, with DD1, 9 months felt like it ha taken 9 years - I was elated to be pregnant! I had a very easy pregnancy with her; the 12 week scan was magical because it actually proved (to me) I was pg!

Then with DD2, I didn't think I was of because I'd been having cramps and spotting (all period symptoms for me). I was so brow-beaten, I didn't think I could possibly be pregnant - just another tricky Clomid side-effect. I did a pregnancy test just to rule it out ... and those two pink lines showed straight away! Turns out I'd Ben having implantation cramps and spotting grin.

Just the best thing!

I look back to those times and I know that they are amongst the best times I'll ever have in my life smile Pregnancy is magical; babies and children are precious and I'm thankful to God, or science, or whatever that we have our precious, much longed-for daughters. I sincerely wish the same for you x

One last thing, stop 'trying'. Just have sex and enjoy it. If we decide we might like another baby in the future, I want an accident next time wink

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 14:24:19

Whoops, posted twice blush

gollygosh123 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:07:20

what do the infertility tests involve?

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 17:44:47

Golly mine involved a trans-vaginal ultrasound scan to check I had no problems with my ovaries and also a regular smear test for the usual checks. Then a HSG (Hysterosalpinogram, I think it's called) to check for blockages in my fallopian tubes and uterus. A radio-opaque dye is inserted and you're x-rayed. I found this the most invasive test.

It had a wonderfully positive outcome but in hindsight, I struggled for the last year of TTC our DD2. I would say that ingot depressed; I darted to drink a lot and cut myself off from lots of my friends. I think if I was to go through this again, I'd give myself a break, stop putting a brave face on it and take full advantage of any counselling services on offer. But that's just me. I'm quite sensitive and overthink.

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 17:46:37

'started to', even

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now