TTC for the first time

(786 Posts)
bluefreckles Thu 17-Jan-13 18:50:24

Hello ladies

I would like to start a thread/bus/merry-go-round to meet, get support and share with ladies in the same boat as me:

TTC baby no 1!

Will you join me and see it through to the BFP?!

A bit about me - I'm 29, DP is 35. This will be our first child.

WakeyCakey Fri 01-Feb-13 21:19:39

Have a night in to myself tonight as DP has taken dsd out for some quality time (football hmm ) so unfortunately been perusing amazon and have somehow found myself bulk buying PG tests.
How am I so consumed in this already?
Must think if something other then babies otherwise I'll never last....it's only been a month

Kittykat1978 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:10:28

Thanks ladies, still in shock. Had to do another just to check...

Wakey- hope ecig works for you. Once I did the test I just didn't want one. Hope this continues! I have ecig and spray in bathroom cabinet at hand just in case!

Firsttimekat- my fingers and toes are crossed for you, lady. Keep busy and keep smiling xxx

pixie0602 Sat 02-Feb-13 23:44:48

Congrats kittysmile. Wakey... How you finding it! I'm on day 5 of no real cigs and don't really need one. Got a wicked sore throat tho so dunno if I'm coming down with somethin or whether its a side effect of the cigblush... I've bought pg and ov tests on amazon in bulk too x

ELA88 Sun 03-Feb-13 09:44:18

Hey, I'd like to join too! I'm 24 and me and my husband have just started TTC, came off mercilon at the end of December and just finished my first 2ww with disappointment! It makes me feel much better to see I'm my the only one feeling this way, hopefully more luck to everyone for next month! Xxx

Ariel21 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:55:46

Wow - lucky thread, Congrats Kitty! Maybe should hang around here more often in case it rubs off...

How's everyone else getting on? I'm in the 2ww now, does everyone keep DTD regularly post-ov? We've been trying to remember to do it every 2 or three days so far this month.

WakeyCakey Sun 03-Feb-13 13:49:25

Hey ela welcome!!!

pixie it's going ok I've had a couple of normal fags but mostly stayed away. Cut down massively so I'm chuffed to bits!

forcookssake Sun 03-Feb-13 15:36:29

Hello! I'd like to join too!
I'm 31, so is my partner, and had the implant removed in September after 10+ years of hormonal contraception. I took a really casual approach for the first few months, but have now bought a basal thermometer and some ovulation tests so we can be a bit targeted and hopefully see something happen. I have MS so don't always have lots of energy so want to be a bit better informed about when to use up my enthusiasm! grin
It felt as though I spent so long actively avoiding pregnancy , now the guards are off it'd happen 'just like that' [naive emoticon!] and clearly that has not happened, so now I'm going to don my organisational hat and see what can be done!

ELA88 Sun 03-Feb-13 18:39:41

Hi forcookssake, what you said about actively avoiding getting pregnant so long is exactly how I feel! I feel like I've spent my whole teenage years being told how easy it is to fall pregnant and take precautions that as soon as I don't use it I should be pregnant! Was very disappointed for AF this morning :-( a new month another try though! Xxx

DailySliceOfGato Mon 04-Feb-13 08:00:21

!! Congratulations kittykat! And fingers crossed for you kat.

Hello forcook and ela! I agree, if only I'd known the (rather small) statistics of conception in previous years...there would have been far less stress especially during my uni years (ugh, the number of morning after pills I took blush).

Question: Does anyone avoid 'naughty foods' (stuff you're not supposed to eat while pregnant) during the 2WW? Do you behave generally during the 2ww as if you are pregnant? I was very careful for cycle 1 but this time round got fed up and convinced myself that the cycle was a write-off, and have been occasionally e.g. rare meat shock and a mouthful (literally) of champagne.

Er...however, I just did a sensitive superdrug test with FMU and there was a shadow of a shadow of a line, so faint that I think it was an optical illusion caused by me staring at the test window very hard with blurry eyes. Will waste money and test again in a couple of days, but now am feeling a teenchy bit guilty about my gastronomic excesses!

P.S. Haven't told DH about the faint faint virtually non-existent line. Will wait until I get a definite 'pregnant/not pregnant' on a clearblue test in a few days. is that very bad?

pixie0602 Mon 04-Feb-13 12:15:15

Daily... Don't worry.. A lot of women would even know their pg.. It's only because your ttc that it crossed your mind... I wouldn't feel guilty at all smilexx. Wakey how's the cig? I fell off the wagon big time last night...not happy with myself today confused

WakeyCakey Mon 04-Feb-13 12:49:52

AF has arrived today and I'm a mess at work all hormonal and teary, god only knows why!!
Fallen off the wagon probably because I know this month hasn't come to anything

Lozcat86 Mon 04-Feb-13 15:56:20

I went to GP the other week just to say that im TTC for about 18months nothing is happening etc. First im 'too young' for any fertility testing (im nearly 27) and 2nd even if i did need help e.g. IVF i wouldnt get it as my husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage....sad
oh well guess we on our own! smile

DailySliceOfGato Mon 04-Feb-13 16:50:46

Lozcat, really sorry to hear that. I'm really surprised as I had heard rumours that if you've been trying over 12 months then they will do some tests - maybe someone on this thread can advise?

If it makes it any better, I have several friends (your age) who conceived their first babies after two years plus of trying and lots of people on Mumsnet have as well.

ELA88 Mon 04-Feb-13 19:01:23

daily I don't avoid naughty foods! Although on Saturday night I didn't drink because I was convinced I was pregnant! When is AF due? That's exciting about the faint line! I did a test yesterday morning because I wasn't sure when AF was due and stared at the BFP for a good 15 minutes willing another line to appear! Xx

WakeyCakey Mon 04-Feb-13 19:43:39

I'm definitely not avoiding naughty foods tonight. When AF buggers off i may be a bit careful, although going away this weekend so will most likely eat myself silly and enjoy a good few drinks

Ariel21 Mon 04-Feb-13 19:48:16

Yes I was wondering if people avoid caffeine on the 2ww? I've just started a new part-time job in a coffee shop and I can drink as much coffee as I like... Might be difficult cutting it out completely!

ELA88 Mon 04-Feb-13 19:53:21

I tried to avoid too much caffeine in the 2ww but I don't think I drink excessive amounts anyway! How much does diet affect TTC? I think I have a reasonably healthy diet anyway but not sure what I should avoid! Xx

Ariel21 Mon 04-Feb-13 22:58:45

ELA Not sure but most advice I've read just says to eat healthily, lots of fruit, veg and protein etc - common sense I suppose, but not all that easy to practice!

rachd77 Mon 04-Feb-13 23:11:35

Hello! smile Can I join you all too? I'm 35 and partner is 33. TTC for the first time and only been trying for a few weeks. Wish you all luck and hope we all have good news soon! X

PistachioTruffle Tue 05-Feb-13 08:18:02

Hello, can I join as well?
I'm mid 20s, DH early 40s, TTC first baby since September with no luck. I'm finding it quite lonely, no one knows we are TTC and I don't want to keep blabbing about it to DH and boring him silly! 3 people I know have announced pregnancies in the last month, all of whom conceived in the time we've been trying. Of course, I don't know how long those people were TTC, and 6 months isn't really that long, but it certainly feels it sometimes.

LoveLaughingLots Tue 05-Feb-13 09:29:22

Hi All,

Would love to join you!

I'm 28 DP is also 28 and TTC our first. Had Merina IUD removed in October and haven't had any luck yet.

January I decided to start using Clear Blue OPKs but they're quite tricky to get the hang of!

Now in 2ww - fingers crossed for c4!

Good luck to everyone!

LLLx

LoveLaughingLots Tue 05-Feb-13 09:42:58

PistachioTruffle

Pretty much similar circumstances, lots of people falling pg around me! But let's remain positive!

All our babies are on the way!

LLLx

LoveLaughingLots Tue 05-Feb-13 09:46:16

Re diet I've cut out alcohol and caffeine, I also intend to give up sugar and all confectionary type stuff for Lent as well (I have a high sugar diet that I have been trying to cut down without much success!). DP has stopped drinking alcohol as well...

LoveLaughingLots Tue 05-Feb-13 09:49:50

Re diet I've cut out alcohol and caffeine, I also intend to give up sugar and all confectionary type stuff for Lent as well (I have a high sugar diet that I have been trying to cut down without much success!). DP has stopped drinking alcohol as well...

DailySliceOfGato Tue 05-Feb-13 11:23:01

Hello all new people! I wonder if OP is okay as she hasn't checked in for a bit.

Thank you for reassuring me ladies. I've easily managed to resist not testing this morning as I'm scared about what it will say - I'll will try again tomorrow. I'm assuming for now that I'm NOT pregnant!

Regarding diet, according to my bible 'What to Expect...' book, too much alcohol and caffeine is linked to lowered fertility, but there's no need to cut it out completely.

We also tried to eat more green vegetables, switched some foods to organic to reduce chemical intake, and cut down on artificial sugar - things that might make a difference but wouldn't affect our daily lives too much. We have to strike a balance as we could be ages TTC-ing and we don't want to live miserable (caffeine-free) lives for the whole time!

Agree with pistachio, it is quite lonely isn't it? Unless you're the sort of person who doesn't mind sharing ups and downs with everyone (which I'm not unfortunately), all hopes and fears are just poured out on poor DH, whose ears start to bleed.

Good luck with the OPKs lovelaughing. I use a CBFM and have found that it makes our lives less stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now