TTC for the first time

(786 Posts)
bluefreckles Thu 17-Jan-13 18:50:24

Hello ladies

I would like to start a thread/bus/merry-go-round to meet, get support and share with ladies in the same boat as me:

TTC baby no 1!

Will you join me and see it through to the BFP?!

A bit about me - I'm 29, DP is 35. This will be our first child.

Bartlet4America Wed 13-Mar-13 17:21:06

Getting sick of seeing BFNs now! Still no period sad am carrying on DTD regardless, I figure if my body is as crazy as this, then I may just DTD all month round!!

good luck gilly, hope it goes quickly for you and that you get a BFP!

Lozcat86 Wed 13-Mar-13 17:23:38

thank you everyone! so so happy and excited right now... Im feeling a few twinges here and there and had some back ache yesterday also quite nauseus around 5/6 pm the last couple of days, and you know what? I love it! Im so glad to be having 'pregnant' things happening! xxx

SmokedRavioli Wed 13-Mar-13 21:32:41

Hi all, can I join? I've been stalking following MN for a while.
DH & I are 28, and will hopefully start our ttc journey from next month.
DH works away a lot so time together is fairly limited. Added to that I suffer from PCOS & I'm pretty sure Endo too, although that is undiagnosed.
I'll start folic acid ASAP. Exciting times grin

sairwa99 Thu 14-Mar-13 11:08:25

Lozcat_ congrats, fab news!

Bartlet_ keep trying! The bfp will arrive soon!

Smoked_ hi its nice to get out of the stalking shadows isnt it! Ha! This thread is good, its lovely having other people in the same boat!

AF is almost gone, cant wait to get trying, and be on the 2ww! It will be my 1st official 2ww! grin

WakeyCakey Thu 14-Mar-13 11:29:47

AF is gone so starting opk's again tomorrow. Going to try to DTD a lot more this month! The su. Us out and I'm in a much better mood!

Holly1977 Fri 15-Mar-13 06:55:53

Hi, 1st time poster. Lying in bed now, af (or sfp, stupid fuc**ng period) has just arrived :-(

been trying since August last year. Dtd every other day for 7 days starting at day 14 on doctor's orders. Can I get other people's points of view on when and how often we should be doing it? keep reading different things. Sfp always comes every 28-31 days. And really fu**cking hurts so as well as being bitterly disappointed, I'm in agony.

And feeling very sorry for myself. Almost everyone I know is pregnant or has kids. And they all caught on quickly. I'm 35, oh is 34. Really hope it happens soon. Before I totally lose the plot or send my poor oh crazy!

sairwa99 Fri 15-Mar-13 13:10:58

Hi Holly. Sorry to hear you are in pain, I get either bad cramping or a 3 day headache! It sucks doesnt it, but at least it means everything is working and its all part of the baby making process, without AF there would be nothing to fertilise! Hard to be positive when it hurts I know! Im stuck at work, AF is gone but headache is lingering! At least its friday!
Are you using any online or phone app calendar to work out when you are ovulating?

TheSlug Fri 15-Mar-13 14:21:03

Hi all, can i just ask a quick question? Does anyone refrain from drinking on the 2ww? I'm not quite there yet, I am due to ovulate on Sunday, just wondering. I only drink very little anyway, a glass of wine at the weekend. thanks xx

sairwa99 Fri 15-Mar-13 14:58:06

Slug_ I drank on holiday, I was sat drinking the all inclusive cocktails googling ' what if I drink before finding out im pregnant' there were lots of stories that reassured me it was fine. I hardly ever drink so not really an issue for me but while away I enjoyed a couple gin fizz's! Enjoy ur wine!grin

roofio87 Fri 15-Mar-13 15:06:49

just popping back in, interestingly I asked my midwife about drinking before you know you're pregnant, she said that many women do it and she's never known it cause a problem, in those first few weeks before you get ur bfp your little poppy seed sized bean hasn't formed its placenta yet and isn't getting any nutrients (or alcohol) from you until about 5 weeks. so while u wouldn't if u knew for sure and should stop as soon as u find out it won't course harm if you do!! hope that helps!!xx

IamKuma Fri 15-Mar-13 15:08:13

I don't think having the odd drink is a problem during the 2ww. As implantation is around 10 dpo I can't see much chance of the alcohol having any influence on the egg as it would not have any link with your bloodstream. (disclaimer - this is not based on any scientific information just IMHO wink!)

TheSlug Fri 15-Mar-13 15:19:08

thank you!! good to know smile

Bartlet4America Sat 16-Mar-13 11:46:20

Still no AF!! And still BFNs. If I've not started AF by next Friday, I'm going back to the doctors to talk about Clomid because with cycles like this, I'll never manage it!

Good luck everyone, really want to see some more BFPs on this thread soon!!

123234345 Sat 16-Mar-13 12:50:31

That is very useful information, thank you! I'd been avoiding drinking completely during 2ww and everyone has been getting terribly suspicious (not too suspicious however, because I've been doing it for a year now which would be a very long gestation period).

Today I had a letter from the NHS Choose and Book service because my GP has referred me to the fertility clinic. It is a very cryptic letter saying that my appointment has been cancelled but they can't tell me why and I need to contact the person who referred me. Since they hadn't contacted me and therefore I hadn't booked an appointment in the first place, it's quite cryptic. The mysteries of NHS admin! Will keep you all posted.

PistachioTruffle Sat 16-Mar-13 13:26:09

123, I hope you get to the bottom of the appointment mystery soon, very strange!

I think I'm due to ovulate next week, while I'm on night shifts. Working around that should be interesting! DoeS anyone know if night shifts would interrupt/delay ovulation at all?

Another two pg announcements from acquaintances this week, surely it's our turn soon ladies?!

Blondie276 Sat 16-Mar-13 14:22:58

Hi pistachio,
I work shifts and night shifts ( actually just finished 7 horrific nights) and I have found that I've ovulated pretty much as I would expect to have done. Not sure the OH was massively impressed with waking him up at all hours though just to dtd at the right time! ;)
Sure it's overall pretty bad for us but I don't think it directly affects cycles too much.

I'm now 5dpo and feel totally normal. Does anyone know when any symptoms would start? I'm guessing once implantation has happened?
Welcome everyones views! Almost desperately making up in my head a twinge here and there or waves of nausea!

If any of our OHs were on here I'd think we have all lost the plot!!!

SmokedRavioli Sat 16-Mar-13 16:14:59

Bought my 1st tub of folic acid today!
Is folic acid enough or are you all taking multivitamins too?
My ttc journey starts officially in 2 weeks ( after af)
smile

ticktock1979 Sat 16-Mar-13 19:24:38

AF due any day now so am trying to ignore her & hope she'll pass me by!

Any time before when I have convinced myself of the slightest pregnancy symptom & trawled through endless videos on the Internet, they always go for the 'missed period' route - sometimes it's hard to wait that long!

Good luck everyone. I'm going to have a 🍷 whilst keeping everything crossed that AF stays the away! 😺

ticktock1979 Sat 16-Mar-13 19:26:20

Ooh! Doesn't like my pics! Having a wine. This led to a smile! xx

PistachioTruffle Sun 17-Mar-13 12:30:06

Thanks Blondie, I did wonder if it would make any difference, hopefully not!
I do wonder when I will temp if I'm on shifts though. i'll have to get the book back out and look it up smile

TheSlug Mon 18-Mar-13 09:49:01

according to my cycle calculator, I Ovulated yesterday, and am due on in 13 days, so it's my first ever 2ww! exciting! X

BoomBaby Mon 18-Mar-13 10:12:42

Hello ladies

I'd like to join you please. I'm 35 and ttc #1. This is our first month of trying and I am currently cd16.

I got a positive opk on Saturday so have estimated that I am 2dpo and in my first 2ww smile

We have been dtd frequently over the last 10 days but unfortunately didn't manage to dtd on sunday which i think is the day i actually ovulated sad but my cycles have been fairly regular (i've been tracking them for the last 9 months) so have estimated af is due 30/31st March so will test 1st April if no af and keep my fingers tightly crossed for a bfp!!

Holly1977 Mon 18-Mar-13 19:35:06

Thanks Sairwa. I've been avoiding mumsnet since sfp arrived! I've had a busy weekend which hasn't given me time to think about it or be sad. That arrived today :-( We've been trying for what feels like forever but is only (!) 7 months. I've come to the conclusion that when it doesn't happen, I need to just let myself be sad (and disappointed, and jealous and angry) for however long it takes, then dust myself off and start again!

I'm 99.9% sure I was pregnant very briefly earlier this year; 5 days late, bfp, bleeding, bfp, more bleeding, bfn. So I'm holding onto that, at least it means it's possible for us.

Am more determined than ever to do it right this time and I'm getting conflicting advice about when and how often to do it. So I'd be grateful if anyone could give me their personal opinions. When and how often should we dtd? There's so much info out there online but what better than asking actual people?!

I know that silicon lube is bad but also read that spit is too. Is that true?!! We've got some special baby lube but OH isn't too keen on it.

Does lying flat on your back afterwards, doing headstands etc actually make a difference? If so, how long should you do it for? Thanks.

Good luck to everyone else out there who's ttc and massive congrats to those of you've who've been successful. Can't wait to get there so I can finally start knitting again! I've always knitted stuff for friends' kids in the past but haven't been able to face it in my state of obsessional broodiness!

ticktock1979 Mon 18-Mar-13 20:15:25

AF arrived yesterday - bang on schedule sad

I think on the positive side, this means that I can confidently say that they are back to normal after around 16 years on the pill (on & off).
I was just wondering if its enough to just count days to figure out when you are ovulating or if I should be using opks if I want to be serious in TTC? My SiL is due end of May/early June & I'm worried that I might not cope if I'm not pregnant by then!

Madratlady Tue 19-Mar-13 00:17:45

I'm on CD11 and I'm having crampy feelings on one side of my tummy. Could they be ovulation pains?

Ticktock I'm not using OPKs because as I see it they won't make any difference to what I do (how often we dtd) and will just be something to obsess over. I plan to try them if we aren't successful in a few months though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now