TTC for the first time

(786 Posts)
bluefreckles Thu 17-Jan-13 18:50:24

Hello ladies

I would like to start a thread/bus/merry-go-round to meet, get support and share with ladies in the same boat as me:

TTC baby no 1!

Will you join me and see it through to the BFP?!

A bit about me - I'm 29, DP is 35. This will be our first child.

TheSlug Wed 06-Mar-13 13:45:05

Great! So here's a bit about me. I'm 25, DH is 29, got married 2.5 months ago and originally were going to wait but decided to hell with it! it's our secret at the moment and I've told DH that I feel pretty strongly about no on else knowing just yet. I'm already thinking about when I'm going to test etc, but am being realistic about the fact that we may not catch straight away! Just want to wish you all good luck!

Bartlet4America Wed 06-Mar-13 14:32:26

Awh so this is a really exciting time for you, theslug! Newlyweds!! Wishing you lots of good luck!! When are you due to test?

TheSlug Wed 06-Mar-13 16:12:46

AF is still here Bartlet so not for another whole 26 days! But can't hurt to be prepared, right?? Here's hoping! Thank you! Where are you at?

Juhannus Wed 06-Mar-13 17:04:34

Hi I'm new to this thread. I've been trying to conceive since January.

I'm getting really confused with the mumsnet ovulation calculator. Feeling a bit stupid. I wonder if anyone can enlighten me.

For the last three months, Dec, Jan, Feb I've put in the date of my period. Each time I put it in I get different dates for around ovulation. It doesn't make sense to me.

Please can someone suggest how I use this tool properly. At the moment I don't trust it cos it gives different dates depending on the date I enter being either of dec, jan, feb. ???

Juhannus Wed 06-Mar-13 17:07:31

Just to add my cycle is quite regular 29 days and I just put 14 for luteal phase as I don't know.

WakeyCakey Wed 06-Mar-13 18:56:57

juhannas Welcome.
You most likely ovulate 14 days before your period starts.
It may be easier to write down all your periods so you know when your cycles start and finish.
I have an app on my phone which works out your ovulation AF etc based on hat dates you put in
It still isn't totally accurate so I've been using ovulation sticks to track it as well!

Bartlet how are you holding up? I have so many make believe symptoms now I can't keep track

Juhannus Wed 06-Mar-13 20:14:25

Thanks for the welcome and advice WakeyCakey

What's the name of the app?

So what about the ovulation calculator on mumsnet?

WakeyCakey Wed 06-Mar-13 20:29:25

Juhannas There are loads. My Cycle is apparantly very good, I think it is gilly86 that bigs it up smile
I have PD tracker, I bought it for £1.49, there is a free version of it too.
If you type into App Store (assuming iPhone) period tracker then loads come up!

Bartlet4America Wed 06-Mar-13 21:07:10

wakey I've been out and got some Superdrug early tests, as I've read on here that they are the best. Apparently I'm due on Monday - when do you think I should test. I'm thinking Saturday. When are you going to?

WakeyCakey Wed 06-Mar-13 21:17:01

bartlet if I go by when u got my smiley face on the opk then 2 weeks from that is Tuesday.
Not sure when I actually ovulated though as I thought it was on the day you get the smiley face but I've since read its a couple of days after that.
And no clue when AF is due as I've been so irregular since coming off the pill.
Probably test on Tuesday morning if I can hold off until then.
Absolutely no signs of AF which is a bonus! It will mean I'm testing on CD37. Last cycle was only 19 days and one before was only 13 days!

WakeyCakey Wed 06-Mar-13 21:18:01

I don't want to test too early as I hate getting BFNs

Bartlet4America Wed 06-Mar-13 21:24:19

How weird - Monday will be cycle day 37 for me! I'm really irregular too due to PCOS so god knows. I am getting dull pains so I'm thinking perhaps AF will come... We shall see!!

WakeyCakey Wed 06-Mar-13 21:33:09

Watching one born every minute alone with preg tests upstairs is driving me mad!!!

Bartlet4America Wed 06-Mar-13 21:33:56

Haha I'm watching it too!! Don't do it!! Hold out for a little longer!!

WakeyCakey Wed 06-Mar-13 21:44:36

Unfortunately my imagination is running away with me. Planned my birth before the BFP, that's never a good idea haha

Juhannus Wed 06-Mar-13 21:45:10

Thanks WakeyCakey

I will have a look, I have an android phone. I will look for My Cycle and noticed My days has lots of good reviews too smile

WakeyCakey Wed 06-Mar-13 21:49:52

Juhannas I like the one I use as on the home screen it tells you how many days until AF and if you pass it how many days late you are.
It just gives me somewhere to track everything down to moods, symptoms and everything I need.
It's just about finding one that suits you and you can turn to

I use fertility friend (the free one) and because I'm sad and have to back everything up even though they have their own backups, I also use woman log. I'm on android. FF lets you log opks as well as temps and loads of other stuff.

Madratlady Wed 06-Mar-13 23:41:07

Still waiting for AF, now on CD42. Been feeling a bit like AF is going to arrive for a couple of days but no sign yet. Since I'm definitely not pregnant I just want this cycle to end so we can try again next cycle!

Madratlady Wed 06-Mar-13 23:42:46

If my periods carry on being this erratic I may have to try those ovulation stick thingys. Are they easy to use?

123234345 Thu 07-Mar-13 10:00:04

Madratlady - you're in the most difficult time, waiting for a late period. Hope it (or a bfp) arrives very soon. I've been using cheapie ovulation tests from the internet and they're pretty easy to use - you just wee into a cup, dip the test in for 10 seconds and wait for 5 minutes.

I'm on day 28 now. My nipples are feeling sensitive which hasn't happened before so I really am wondering whether this will be my month. I've not told my husband though as I want to at least have a late period to back up my suspicions. Now I need to decide when to test: my last two periods were 25 and 44 days, but the ovulation stick only tested positive a week ago so I think it'll be best to wait until day 35 before testing. I know you will all help me to stay strong for the next week!

PistachioTruffle Thu 07-Mar-13 10:50:30

The Taking Charge book seems really good, easy to follow and dip back into if you need to (I just skipped the section on using it for contraceptive purposes!). Unfortunately the thermometer I ordered hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't been able to start with temperatures yet. I used the Mydays app, free and really easy to use and record different signs. I do ignore the ovulation calendar on there though as they just seem to be based on average 28 day cycles, as mine is 36ish.

Bartlet4America Thu 07-Mar-13 10:52:19

madratlady I'm with you on the erratic cycles. I hope AF or BFP turns up for you soon. I may try ovulation sticks next month if this isn't my month (which I suspect it isn't)

123 fx this is your month!! Exciting stuff!!

Bartlet4America Thu 07-Mar-13 10:54:18

pistachio am def going to order that then. My shortest ever cycle was last month and 38 days or something, so I just ignore most ovulation calendars as they kindly tell me "the dates you entered indicate you're not ovulating" THANKS! ha

SarahMargaret Thu 07-Mar-13 11:39:50

Gutted OPK gave a positive result this morning, but hubby isn't going to be home until around 9 tomorrow night does anyone know how long after positive OPK ovulation actually happen or for how long afterwards could conception happen? I hope we haven't missed another month x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now