what happens if...??

(8 Posts)
Mytwobeautifulgirls Wed 09-Jan-13 06:33:37

you fall pregnant whilst on mat leave? would you still be entitle to mat leave/pay with the next one?

Happilymarried155 Wed 09-Jan-13 09:31:21

Yes you are!

Chopsypie Wed 09-Jan-13 09:34:27

Yes definately.
Although telling them during your return to work meeting may not go down well, and may lead to your boss havign a severe case of mouthlikeacatsbumitis. <experience speaking>
Good luck!

Mytwobeautifulgirls Wed 09-Jan-13 10:16:18

mmmm interesting thanks ladies. I will defo keep in mind about return to practice. smile

highlove Wed 09-Jan-13 10:22:37

Not sure that's right. You generally have to have a minimum amount of service prior to that specific pregnancy - where I work it's nine months. So I've got a lady working for me who got pg v soon after coming back who won't meet the service requirement therefore won't get mat pay - not sure if she will qualify for SMP but she definitely won't get the additional entitlement our employer offers.. And we are public sector so likely to have more generous policies than elsewhere.

So I guess worth checking for sure what your employer offers.

highlove is right. See www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/parents-and-carers/rights-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/faq/what-happens-if-i-become-pregnant-on-maternity-leave

You are allowed to have another 52 weeks of leave. However, SMP is worked out from your salary at week 18-25. And for the new pregnancy this is worked out anew. Ie this will be your salary while on your maternity leave. Do you earn enough when you are 18-25 week pregnant? See this for the SMP

www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/parents-and-carers/rights-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/statutory-maternity-pay-smp

Mytwobeautifulgirls Wed 09-Jan-13 10:36:36

really highlove. thanks for that I'm a public sector worker to so will take a look at ny guidelines.

Mytwobeautifulgirls Wed 09-Jan-13 10:44:04

oh I c so if you are on smp and not mat pay they will calculate what you earn throughout that year. I need to work this out and c what ny options are thanks again ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now