Acupuncture -does it work?

(9 Posts)
CaipirinhasAllRound Fri 11-Jan-13 15:29:31

I've been trying for 3 years and started acupuncture last March/April time when I was on clomid but nothing happened
We started IVF in Nov and I was still seeing her but I had to stop the IVF due to complications and haven't arranged to see her again yet

I liked it from the point of view that it was me time when I could talk about what was going on and not have to feel like I was boring anyone, it was relaxing and she taught me more about what actually goes on during the cycle than any doctor.

But, I remain sceptical that it did any good and it did cost a lot... (there is no was I am adding it up)

greenlizard Thu 10-Jan-13 21:43:46

Thanks so much for your replies.

I have made an appointment next week with a local acupuncturist so hopefully it will will be both enjoyable and do the trick in helping me get the bfp that has so far eluded me.....grin

Seabright Wed 09-Jan-13 18:59:53

I took Floradix too! My acupuncturist told me it absorbed better as a liquid than as iron tablets

ScarlettInSpace England Wed 09-Jan-13 16:21:43

Hmm I am divided on this, and I have Acu [and spent a fortune on it during my first IVF] but overall I do think it has made a difference for me...

Pros: It makes me feel I'm doing something, I am regaining some control, it gives me an hour to concentrate on and talk about me without feeling like I'm 'going on about it' with someone who really understands, I leave Acu sessions feeling positive & relaxed, when I did IVF my womb lining was 'beautiful & perfect' apparently [it was my ovaries that didn't show up at the party hmm ]

Cons: Umm, the only one I can think of is that I have no idea whether or not the 'beautiful & perfect' womb lining was down to my body getting something right or the Acu, but I'm not going to chance it don't trust this stupid body and will be having Acu to support my next round.

JBrd Wed 09-Jan-13 14:57:52

I have not tried acupuncture for ttc (yet), but years ago, I gave it a go because I was suffering from migraines. I think I had a course of 5-6 treatments, and the migraines have never come back!

Sonics Wed 09-Jan-13 13:56:30

We have now been trying for 2 years and its something I've looked into but not done. I have a friend who tried for years for her 1st. She swears that acupuncture is what did it in the end. I'm quite sceptical but getting to the point where I'll try anything!

bluebeanie Wed 09-Jan-13 12:30:26

Hello, I have hovered for months on MN, but I think I definitely need to actually start contributing! I am convinced it helped. I am slim, but have PCOS - sometimes my cycle was 10 weeks. When you are TTC it is disheartening to 'fail' each month and then on top of that have to wait ages to even try again.

Looked up a Zita West trained acunpturist in my area (go to her website and you can search for ones in your area). She advised me on nutrition at certain times of the month as well (Floridix and red meat pre-ovulation/ potatoes, sweet potatoes etc afterwards. One session a week (not that cheap at £37 an hour), but I did it for 5 weeks and poof! I am pregnant. smile

I charted - it really helps, but you do go a bit mad with all the detail! I highly recommend the book, 'Taking charge of your fertility' - don't be put off by the size! It was my bible. Also that month we DTD in good old missionary, legs up in the air for 20 mins, Pre-Seed (a god-send) and I cut back on high impact exercise after ovulation.

I am now doing it about once a fortnight to 'maintain' the pregnancy/ relax/ ease morning sickness (so far so good).

I am 29 and conceived cycle 3. I hopes this helps. x

Seabright Tue 08-Jan-13 20:12:14

I had it and I conceived. I can't say that it was the acupuncture that did it, bier it did help me feel more positive about myself and the situation. I used a local acupuncturist.

greenlizard Tue 08-Jan-13 11:34:23

Hi

I am interested in people's experiences of acupuncture as a way of assisting in conceiving. Have you tried it? Did it work? How do I find an acupuncturist (is that even a word smile....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now