Best multivits to take for conception?

(17 Posts)
kd83 Mon 07-Jan-13 10:26:46

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the best Multivits to take for conceiving?

I have been taking the Sanatogen multivit + folic acid since Nov but it gives me a bit of heartburn.

what has your experience been? any recommendations? any to avoid?

what about getting OH on them?

thanks

Irishmammybread Mon 07-Jan-13 14:15:27

Hi, I'm not an expert but as far as I know Pregnacare is the only brand that does a tablet specifically to support your fertility while trying to conceive ,I'm on Pregnacare Conception.
It's recommended to take them with a meal,I've had no side effects apart from yellow urine a few hours after taking the tablet!
My DH isnt into taking supplements but there is a Wellman Conception tablet available too.

ControlGeek Mon 07-Jan-13 19:27:48

Hi kd8, I take the morrisons multi-vitamins with iron, and separate folic acid supplements. Unless your diet is really appalling, or you know you are deficient in something or having specific issues conceiving, this should be all you need.

ControlGeek Mon 07-Jan-13 19:28:53

^should have said kd83 blush

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 07-Jan-13 19:32:01

Ideally it should be a pregnancy/conception specific multivitamin because they don't contain vitamin A - it can be harmful to a foetus. Tesco do ont which is reasonably priced. However, I just took folic acid on its own and switched to sanatogen when I got pregnant.

ControlGeek Mon 07-Jan-13 21:14:57

It depends if you are talking megavitamins or simply standard recommended daily allowances - vitamin A is safe unless taken in excess (>2500 micrograms/day) and is necessary for good fertility. That said, a good balanced diet should provide all the nutrients needed. Folic acid is the crucial one, then as faith says, when you get a positive test result go for a pregnancy cocktail.

ControlGeek Mon 07-Jan-13 21:16:05

sorry faith, misquoted - sanatogen or the like

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 07-Jan-13 21:25:52

No problem control!

I chose sanatogen for two reasons - 1. It had less iron than pregnacare (which I was keen to have less of due to lots of constipation) and 2. It was on offer! smile

ouryve Mon 07-Jan-13 21:27:25

I never knew you could get pregnant by taking a multivitamin.

Hypermutley Mon 07-Jan-13 21:31:56

I'm taking the normal welwoman, having checked it doesnt have retinol....is this not good?

mummycooper Mon 07-Jan-13 21:35:06

hey i was taking boots own brand of conception plus vitamins (best my far), exactly the same as pregnacare and a little cheaper and i thought they were great and def think they have helped me to conceive as im 6 weeks pregnant now with my 2nd baby. when i was trying for my first i conceived quickly enough 5-6 months but wasent taking a supplement just enjoyin the tryin and nature taking its course, this time round i decided to take one as believe the benefits are great and i conceived 3-4 months after trying. good luck and hope ya get the results ya one smile

Rache1S Mon 07-Jan-13 21:35:55

I have never spotted between periods until starting Pregnacare Conception. I spotted around CD24 which gave me a small heart attack as I thought it was implantation bleeding! If you search back on previous threads or Google I seem to remember other ladies saying the same. I stopped taking it and just went on folic acid until I got my BFP as I eat a healthy balanced diet anyway.

CunningPlan Mon 07-Jan-13 21:37:43

All I know is don't take the Superdrug ones. To be fair I didn't always take them with food as suggested, but a couple of times my stomach violently rejected them about 20 minutes after taking them.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 07-Jan-13 21:40:10

ouryve they won't get you pregnant, only spern can do that! But it's advisable to ensure you have the right intake of vitamins and particularly folic acid prior to conceiving.

TWinklyLittleStar Mon 07-Jan-13 22:04:26

The problem I find is that all the pregnancy/conception ones.contain shed loads of iron, which makes me vomit. I've given up and just take tesco multivitamins without minerals, and zinc on its own.

CunningPlan Tue 08-Jan-13 17:12:24

Ohhhh, is that what it is, the iron? I think I will stick to the ordinary folic acid.

kd83 Tue 08-Jan-13 18:28:06

Thanks all. It's investing to hear all the different experiences. I think I might stick with the sanatogen for conception and pregnancy but I'm going to check out some of the other options too.

Good luck to everyone. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now