TTC for the first time in 2013 - advice please!

(10 Posts)
sparkle9 Thu 27-Dec-12 10:56:22

DP and I will be TTC in the new year. This will be the first time. I'm coming off the pill after 10 years on it. I've used a variety over the years and had 2 years on the depo injection about 7 years ago. For the past 2-3 years I've been on Millinette and before that Cilest (I believe the Millinette is just a cheaper, generic version of Cilest?).

So aside from stopping taking the pill and having lots of sex.... What else should we do?

Also how long does it take to conceive after the pill? How long is a piece of string??? Do I need to wait for a 'proper' period before we start TTC?

chocoloulou33 Thu 27-Dec-12 11:53:21

Hi sparkle. Yes you need to wait for a 'proper' period before you start smile that's what doctor advised me after coming off pill. You need to take folic acid too. You can conceive anytime after coming off the pill I think, sometimes it just may saty in your system but not sure x

sparkle9 Thu 27-Dec-12 13:45:17

Should I start taking frolic acid now then?

FrankelcenseAndMyhrr Thu 27-Dec-12 13:58:39

Start taking folic acid now, that way you will be certain that you have it in your system from the moment you conceive.

In an ideal world you would spend a couple of months getting yourself in as healthy a place as possible before actually TTC. For example, stopping smoking, cutting back on alcohol/caffeine, losing weight (if you need to). Bear in mind that sperm take around 90 days to be manufactured from start to finish so any dietary changes your DP makes now will not have an effect for 3 months.

When you come off the Pill it can take a while for your cycle to regulate itself. Do not worry if it seems to take longer than you expected and bear in mind that doctors don't generally want to know about cycle irregularities unless they have been going on for more than 6 months.

The general advice is to have sex 2 or 3 times a week throughout your cycle, but of course more often is not a bad thing.

It may well happen quickly for you, but don't stress/panic if it doesn't. It can take up to a year for a perfectly healthy couple to conceive, so try to take a relaxed view of things at least to begin with.

Finally, get to know your cycle. Don't start out with things like ovulation sticks/fertility monitors etc this early on, but learning to chart your temperature will help you to understand your cycle and when your fertile days are. Websites like Fertility Friend and books like Taking Charge of Your Fertility will help.

Good luck!

jazzcat28 Thu 27-Dec-12 14:47:05

Ooh marking my place, we're starting this year too. Need to lose some weight first and clear a few debts and then we shall be on it!

I've sort of persuaded DH to join me in taking pregnacare vitamins (the dad ones obviously) - are they worth it?

FrankelcenseAndMyhrr Thu 27-Dec-12 15:53:08

The male version vitamins can't do any harm, except to your wallet! Just remember, as I posted above, it takes 3 months before any changes to diet have an effect on sperm.

Bodice Thu 27-Dec-12 15:57:08

I got pregnant before a proper period after coming off the pill ( I had my withdrawl bleed). I then unfortunately miscarried. It was probably nothing to do with coming off the pill but it was enough to make me feel extremely guilty. I did look into it quite a lot and was reasonably satisfied that it is pretty safe (people get pregnant for missing the odd pill or being sick on the pill so they say) so I really don't think it is that much of a risk. It is just harder to date. Would I do it again? I am not sure to be honest. For the sake of a month perhaps it is best to wait.
As someone twice who has got pregnant twice (MC twice to but trying again now)
My tips are:
Put fella on wellman - if you are doing supplements so can he.
get a cycle tracke app to work out your mosr fetile time.
Have sex every day/ every other day - I varied this as there is conflicting advice - before, during and a bit after your most fetile time.
Have sex regularly in all the other times too - TMI I know - but make sure they are ticking over when AF is on as to keep them fresh!! you get the picture.
Bottom on a pillow after sex and stay there for at least 20 min.

Bodice Thu 27-Dec-12 16:01:09

Sorry it's full of mistakes, I accidently posted before I proof read.

Anyway they worked for me- sort of. I am going to be third time lucky.

Happy trying smile

sparkle9 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:27:55

Thanks for replies!

sparkle9 Sun 30-Dec-12 19:01:49

We had a chat about when exactly I would stop taking the pill. It feels like a big decision to actually stop taking it. I will take the last one in my pack tomorrow - last day of the year! So I've decided that must be a sign! Fingers crossed I'm actually brave enough to not take the pill again after the usual 7 day break. It just seems like a huge decision even though we have been thinking and talking about it for ages. We have just moved house and finances worry me. We are comfortable income-wise just now but a baby (namely the drop to maternty pay and then childcare costs!) will make things a lot tighter. I suppose there's never a 'perfect' time though, is there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now