Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Is 40 too old

(30 Posts)
janji Thu 27-Dec-12 02:12:53

Turned 40 six months ago and already have ds (9) and dd (6). For the past year have longed for another baby but kept telling myself I was too old. Read in the media all sorts of celebs becoming parents in early 40's but wonder if their success is due to their ability to access better medical guidance/care. Any 40+ mums care to share their thoughts please?

resipsa Sun 30-Dec-12 14:11:15

I'll chip in. Had DD at 40. Scored higher on risk assessment given my age but had no problems in pregnancy. Was a bit naive and had no testing for defects (but wouldn't have terminated anyway so saw no point). Birth uncomplicated. Now friends with a load of late 20/early 30 year olds whose lives, frankly, are much the same as mine.
Never made to feel "old" by midwives or doctors. A lot of the negative stuff is in your own head, IME. Being slim, fit and healthy no doubt helps but I hope to have another (and I'm 42 now so you're young to me!".

Amberini Mon 14-Jan-13 10:06:13

Morning ladies, I can see no one has posted since Dec but as a 42 year old ttc and new to Mumsnet and forums generally wondered if anyone is still out there? So reassuring to read some of the posts. Feeling slightly mental as have DS of 20, 18 and 17 and probably wouldn't have had any more but as have new DP, we'd like one together. 3rd Month of ttc and am obsessed which I wasn't with first 3 as fell pg easily.

Abbicob Mon 14-Jan-13 13:31:53

I was 40 in October and TTc number 2. Been trying for 2 years now and it's proving very difficult emotionally for me. DD is 4 in May and only took 3 mths to conceive. This thread has given me hope that I am not too old just yet x

JBrd Mon 14-Jan-13 16:35:55

I'm 41, and we are ttc for number 2. I was 39 when I had DS, took us 8 months to conceive (but we weren't very clued up and for the first 4 months just dtd very randomly grin), very straightforward, uncomplicated pregnancy (birth not so much, but that had nothing to do with my age!).
I have a lot of friends who had their first/second/third babies at this age, so you are not alone!

CareerGirl01 Mon 14-Jan-13 19:17:22

I am 42 and pregnant with DC2, got pregnant with DD1 when I was 37. At no point during my first pregnancy did I feel old, this time round we've had to have a CVS when the risk of various genetic problems was thrown up because of my age. But actually I feel really healthy apart from hideous morning sickness. I'd happily have another after this if I could get pregnant again, but I do love my career and am also worried about the genetic risks age seems to bring.
I'm the fourth lady I know of in my school year (we're all 42/43) to get pregnant in the last few months.
Saying that we were only TTC for three months. I did do the whole detox thing, no alcohol, very little caffeine, lots of wholefoods and lots of exercise - but I've always gone to the gym and done lots of yoga and pilates and that helps I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now