ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

TTC after recent miscarriage - advice about ovulation kits - please help if you can...

(4 Posts)
BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Wed 05-Dec-12 18:51:27

Hello again (typing as DD splashes) - it is possible that you are getting a true positive on the OPK (I think I ovulated 18-ish days after I started miscarrying). I just think it is hard to be certain without a negative hpt. Do you have any other signs you are approaching ovulation? EWCM?

What about just having sex if you both fancy it tonight/tomorrow. Then if you do ovulate, great. I know you are keen to get pregnant as soon as possible, but now is also a time to be gentle on yourself.

RebeccaJames Wed 05-Dec-12 18:25:51

Ah, I didn't realise that the pregnancy hormone showed up the same as a luteinising hormone! D'oh! No, I haven't had a negative pregnancy test. The miscarriage was two weeks ago on Friday... would that account for the positive result? Darn. I was going to rely on the test to pinpoint my next ovulation, so I need to find out how long before I can trust the OPK result...

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Wed 05-Dec-12 18:10:45

Hello RebeccaJames I am very sorry to hear of your miscarriage - it is a horrible thing to go through.

I can only type a quick reply as I have to go and run DD's bath, but I just wanted to check whether you have taken a home pregnancy test since you miscarried?

Your miscarriage was very recent and, unless you have had a negative hpt, you may still have pregnancy hormone in your system.

I only raise this because OPKs can often give positive results if there is pregnancy hormone present. I would hate to think of you stressing over when to DTD if you are getting a false positive.

If you have had a negative test hpt, then I think you would be fine to have sex either tonight or tomorrow.

RebeccaJames Wed 05-Dec-12 16:33:46

Hi all. I was PG but miscarried last week at nearly 10 weeks :-(. It took 2.5 years to get pregnant after having our son, so it was a huge blow. The doc confirmed that a very fertile period follows a miscarriage, so...

I just got back last night from a trip away, and OH and I BD'd, without knowing the ovulation situation. Today I bought a fresh lot of ovulation kits, and this afternoon tested for the first time and got a positive. Now, of course, I don't know how long it's been positive, so whether I'm at the start of the surge or at the end. They say make love in the next 48 hours, but I can't decide whether to BD again tonight or leave it until tomorrow night.

Does anyone know? It might sound like a silly question, I know, but I am so anxious to get pregnant again soon (obviously... d'uh...!) that I want to make sure it's the optimum time. I don't know how long you get a positive for on the ovulation kits, it's hard to work out the optimum time. The instruction leaflet doesn't help on this score.

If you know anything, I'd be really grateful if you could reply. Thanks for any light you can throw on this...

R

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now