Anyone else had to have MMR?

(7 Posts)
Leonas Mon 03-Dec-12 19:37:32

We have been TTC for over a year and during the initial tests at the GP they discovered I wasn't immune to MMR despite getting the vaccine as a child.
I have had the first of 2 vaccines which mean that we can't try for a baby for 4 months as it is a live virus which is so frustrating! In the meantime, 2 more friends have announced their pregnancies - bleurgh sad

redstrawberry Tue 04-Dec-12 21:17:42

Hi leonas didn't want this to go unanswered but I am waiting on my blood tests for rubella too. Hoping I have that immunity otherwise we might get asked to do MMR too.

But DH and I have decided to keep trying and post pone MMR of we have to. I have done some research and found that rubella is very rare and there were only 6 cases in all of England Scotland Wales in 2011. So chances of catching it are very rare.

We are thinking of taking a break in the new year and thought we might get the jab then if I need to.

ZombieTipple Tue 04-Dec-12 22:12:19

That's odd - I'm due to have mine and the surgery is aware that I am on fertility drugs but didn't say anything. I best check before I go have it!

quickdowntonson Wed 12-Dec-12 10:06:49

Redstrawberry - Er, there is a reason that rubella is very rare in the UK, guess what, IMMUNISATION!!! Sorry, but my bf cousin died of measles when he was a baby (not immunised), so laissez-faire attitudes towards immunisations are really not acceptable. Immunity only works in a community if there is 'herd immunity', i.e over 90% of the population have been immunised.

butterflyhopes82 Thu 13-Dec-12 11:04:57

Hi leonas,

I also have to have the MMR - it is odd as I was immune to rubella less than a year ago (had to have a blood test for my occupational health part at my work) - but now I need the immunisation.

It is exceptionally dangerous if you get rubella whilst pregnant (for the fetus) which is why they check for it, so although it is rare, it is safest to get immunised.

As it happens, my occupational health dept did identify that I wasn't immune to mumps and wanted me to get the MMR about a year ago, but I postponed it as was TTC...a year on and I'm now having to postpone taking clomid after 2 years of subfertility as I have to go and get it done now for the rubella part! I know hindsight is 20:20 but I wish now that I'd just bitten the bullet and got it done then...I know it's frustrating to have to wait but it is the safest option and I'm sure you'll be glad of doing it in the long-term.

Good luck x x

Leonas Wed 02-Jan-13 23:51:01

Thanks for your comments folks - good to know it isn't just us! I didn't want to leave it as my friends brother is deaf as his mum came into contact with someone with measles while pregnant and the nurse said this is best case scenario and we decided it wasn't worth the risk.

littleducks Wed 02-Jan-13 23:57:45

I'm not ttc but thought I would post (hope thats ok?)

I was immune to rubella but not mumps or measles (occupational health check) so had to had to have the MMR jab recently, and then in ligh of that they decided to check my TB immunity and I'm now having to have my BCG done AGAIN sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now