Clear Blue - accurate before period?

(13 Posts)
HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 16-Nov-12 11:38:19

<waves to boo and gen>

I got two fuzzy lines in cheapies then ran out to buy First Response Early Response which came up as a really clear instant BFP.

Princessishavingababyboo Fri 16-Nov-12 09:27:08

I did exactly the same as Gen Sparks and Faith, used the amazon cheap tests and when they showed up a line, I checked the result on a cbd (also from amazon, much cheaper)

<waves to all>

agree that CB (non digi) are awful for false positives!!! I remember mine all too clearly!!!!

second Generics suggestion of getting on amazon, they're sensitive but can be a little faint, I only used a more expensive test once the amazon cheapie showed a ghost of a line.

The super market cheapies are quite good too, try Asda own brand!!

YesThisTime Fri 16-Nov-12 08:09:33

Yep, I agree that I definitely need to stop testing. I'm going a little insane. AF due tomorrow and I'm seriously pre-menstrual so that, coupled with the clear blue BFNs, makes me think I'm this isn't going to be the cycle.

I was like this when ttc DS too. It only took three cycles but I was obsessed. I need to relax a bit I think.

Clearblues are also really prone to false positives (the non digital versions) - have had several in recent cycles. Usually in the form of a pencil thin line, but it's still disappointing all the same. Have sworn off them now and only use the Internet cheapies and back up with a FRER (First Response) if I see anything.

Clearblue Plus are actually very sensitive though and for me have been known to show a line (thick) before the Internet cheapies, but after all the false positives I can't be bothered any more for the sake of maybe 12 hours headstart on knowing about a BFP!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 15-Nov-12 18:48:59

Seriously, I know you can get carried away but you have to stop testing! I got a BFP on the amazon cheapies but not til two days before AF was due. Those were the longest 2 days of our lives, holding our breaths to see if it would stick! I agree a clear blue is really not sensitive and best left until after AF is due.
I'd suggest you order some cheapies off amazon and don't test again until they arrive. You're more likely to get a clear result after that time. Good luck! smile

You will be amazed how many you can get for the price of one test in the 'normal' shops!

YesThisTime Thu 15-Nov-12 15:42:04

Thank you GenericDietCola, I didn't know amazon sold them (although should've guessed really). Will look into them.

Please stop lining the pockets of Clear Blue and buy some cheapies from Amazon - you can get about 25 sensitive tests for 4 quid or something and then POAS to your heart's content from 10 or 11 dpo if you like. I'm pretty sure the Clear Blue ones are amongst the least sensitive ones, so there's not much point testing beore AF is even due.

Good luck TTC.

YesThisTime Thu 15-Nov-12 12:47:51

Thanks. Sounds like there's a huge variation so I won't give up hope for a BFP this month just yet. DS (17mo) was mithering at the boob yesterday, which made me excited that I could be pg. Could also just be his rotten cold too though I guess.

<hides keys to stop self from running off to co-op to buy yet more tests>

TinkyPeet Thu 15-Nov-12 12:40:31

Oh, haven't used standard cb this time round but I did last time and it showed bfp on day af was due but it was a strong line and I didn't try before that x

TinkyPeet Thu 15-Nov-12 12:39:27

Hi Hun, I only got bfp on cbd two days after af was due, I got faint lines on co op's own brand at 3.99 for two, both the day before af was due and on the day, and last 2 pregnancies were the same, frers have never given me a bfp, ever. Have heard the sainsburys own are good too x

YesThisTime Thu 15-Nov-12 11:54:46

Just wondering how accurate the bog standard (non digi) clear blue tests are before the day AF is due? We're trying to conceive dc2 and I'm going a little crazy testing the week before AF is due - all BFN so far. The most recent was this morning, AF is due on saturday. They make all sort of accurancy percentage claims on the box but given that I only got a very very faint line even after my period was due when pregnant with DS, I wonder if its just cynical marketing to sell more tests. It is costing me a fortune.

Can someone please tell me if it's pointless and if i am literally pissing away pound notes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now