Those waiting to ttc... (slightly pointless thread)

(1000 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 15-Oct-12 17:58:10

We're ttc #2 in dec and I know it's a really silly thing to get excited about, but just started taking folic acid and feeling very excited about it!

Sorry for the pointless thread.

Mythreeknights Wed 12-Dec-12 13:47:26

Thanks Leafmould - that's made it a lot clearer - but one more thing (can you believe I have 2 children and I don't know all this) - can you get pregnant in your luteal phase? For instance, if you've already ovulated and the egg is just hanging on in there, then bish bash bosh enter ten gazillion sperm, it can get fertilised right?
Sorry - totally clueless.
Good luck winterpansy xx

Leafmould Wed 12-Dec-12 14:08:42

3 knights The general idea is that you Dtd the day BEFORE ovulation and the day of ovulation. This is why people use opk (ovulation predictor kits) because you are more likely to get pg if the sperm is waiting for the egg.

Or that is what I have gathered off mums net, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I also think your cervix changes during your cycle, so it's open immediately before ovulation, and the it's closed after ovulation. Some people examine their cervix to get further confirmation of their cycle.

Which would offer a physiological reason why it is harder to get pg during the luteal phase.

I didn't know any of this fascinating stuff until recently either, so don't feel uninformed!

Leafmould Wed 12-Dec-12 14:09:52

winter pansy are you in the pub yet? Celebrating I hope!

Leafmould Wed 12-Dec-12 14:15:10

moomin like yes ther are a few of us waiting for the outdoor shagging season to start! (goodness I am being a bit crude it must be the brandy fumes wafting round the house while the Xmas cake is baking!)

My girls are 6 and 8. They have been going on about having another baby for AGES and I had to explain to them about periods because of not wanting to go to the swimming pool, and the last time I told her I had my period she said "AGAIN!, why don't you just have another baby mummy!"

KateBeckett Wed 12-Dec-12 17:07:27

Wow thanks for the list update leaf smile

How is everyone doing? I have a stonking cough/cold combo and am feeling utterly rotten. Took a day off work as couldn't stop coughing yesterday, but feeling a bit guilty as we only have 1 more week before the christmas holidays! Ah well, the day was well spent buying prezzies on Amazon and catching up on Neighbours!!

Aww your girls sound very cute leaf !

Moomin I'm the same, wish we could start ttc now, but at least I'm not alone in waiting! We need to wait until I know what will be going on with my job - am currently on a temporary year contract, so waiting to find out if there will be a job for me next year, or if I need to apply for a new job. Hoping to have a permanent job before ttc, so we have to wait til easter-ish as that is when most of the teaching jobs for September will be advertised. Not sure about maternity benefits actually, I should probably research those, hoping it won't mean waiting longer to ttc though!

loveyou you have to keep us updated so we can live vicariously through you!!!

moominlike Wed 12-Dec-12 17:58:35

leaf is it ever warm enough in this country for outdoor shagging?! So are you hoping for a boy next or not fussed either way? My partner says he wants two girls and a boy...so demanding!

Got the dreaded lurgy here too Kate and not long shifted the last lot sad hoping it goes asap as I go on hols next week. Sounds like a sensible plan on the job front, things are going to be a bit uncertain for me in that dept too till at least April. Need to wait until then for the all clear after some hospital treatment anyway so it's not the end of the world, just keeping fingers crossed it all pans out ok!

On the plus side following my bfn I can have an irresponsible Christmas and holiday doing, eating and drinking whatever I fancy grin

Leafmould Wed 12-Dec-12 18:17:04

Hi Kate,

Sorry to hear you are not well. It's miserable.

Are you aiming to get a permanent position within the same school? Or move? I think this may influence you benefits, as once you are made permanent, your length of service is backdated to when you started working for that employer. I think.

So I would try to check this out, just so you know what the implications are of your options come spring.

Moomin: have you reminded dp that is is actually his job to determine the gender of his children? He needs to start talking to his Testes.

Mine was really keen for a boy 8 years ago, but says he is not bothered now. I would like a boy for a bit of gender balance in the family, but I would also like another girl cos they are great! So I am happy to say that I don't mind!

Hope you are declared fit and healthy soon.

KateBeckett Wed 12-Dec-12 19:53:43

Thanks moonin, hope you feel better soon too!

I'm hoping to stay in the same school leaf, but I'm not sure if there will be a job for me to stay in or not :/ I love the school so keeping my fingers crossed!!

dollydaydream26 Wed 12-Dec-12 20:41:11

Thanks for the list update feel officially part of the ttc gang now !
My DP is obsessed with having a boy so chances are we will have a girl ha ha ! Not that I mind at all and he doesn't really we are just both desperate to have a baby together smile.
It's nice to know we are all in the same boat and for me not to be secretly obsessing alone about when I am goin to ttc. I don't really like to share it with friends family etc as I feel it would tempt fate and I would be getting a bit ahead of myself.
Have realised after this months period I have only 2 more to go until I can ttc woohoooo! X

Onemoreforgoodmeasure Wed 12-Dec-12 20:49:09

3Knights my understanding is that the egg lasts for about 24 hours so the window for the egg is actually pretty narrow. This is why some poeple say to dtd every day or every other day, because sperm can live for something like 5 days. The opks show the hormonal surge that happens when the egg is about to be released. So you want to dtd before and during that time at least. But also after, you also need to keep an eye on opks after that initial surge because opks only pick up on the surge, it doesn't mean you definitely will ovulate, and it can happen later, you might get a surge later that actually precedes ovulation. Amazing that there isn't anything more accurate to test for ovulation! You also might not ovulate every cyce. Hope that wasn't too confusing!

winterpansy Wed 12-Dec-12 21:17:25

Hello everyone!
Thanks for all your comments and good wishes today...I got the result back.
My bullying and harrassment grievance (with 17 examples of unacceptable behaviour) against the CEO has been upheld in full grin.

They will let me know by the end of the week what the outcome is for him so I'm guessing they are trying to buy him off with a compromise agreement as his behaviour amounts to gross misconduct. So, it's not a done deal yet but round one has definitely won by me. Can't believe it, for once the 'little guy' has won! I'm not popping the champagne corks just yet but there is a bottle chilling in the fridge to hopefully be drank at the weekend.

Yeehaa! Hope everyone else is doing good today!

Leafmould Wed 12-Dec-12 21:31:31

Brilliant news, winter pansy!

So pleased that your grievance has been recognized as valid. I do hope that what they then decide to do about it is the right thing.

Kate: I do hope a job comes up for you. My dd's teacher who she loves is leaving after Xmas because she's moving to a permanent position sad .
I guess schools have a hard time predicting how many staff they need from one year to the next. But I wish the senior management understood how tough it is for the staff to be on fixed term and temporary contracts. I suspect many of them have never had that experience.

HorseyGirl1 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:46:34

Nearly due to start another pill packet and it struck me that I only have 4 more packets to go before I start TTC! Can't wait but need to get lots of stuff done businesswise (also had C section in May this year) before we get going. Want to start now but know I must be sensible and wait for just a little while. Just know that if I did chuck them out now that I would get preggo straight away because I don't want to be just yet. So hard to wait though... how is everyone else fighting the TTC impatientness?

moominlike Wed 12-Dec-12 21:58:16

Yes leaf I certainly have!! I suppose ideally I'd like one of each, but tbh I would just be over the moon to have a healthy baby, whatever the sex. I don't know why but a part of me (clearly the very pessimistic part!) worries that I'll have difficulties ttc. My belief in sod's law is probably to blame!

dolly that time will go quick too with Christmas etc, it'll be time to start before you know it smile will keep everything crossed for you, and all the other ttcers in the new year!

Hope the work stuff works out kate and congratulations winterpansy must feel good to have what you've been through recognised - all too often that doesn't happen. Hope it continues to go the right way.

All pressies wrapped and cards written now (whilst enjoying a Baileys and some cheesy christmas choons!) - feels good! Hope everyone is having a good week and managing to keep warm x

literaryone Thu 13-Dec-12 12:28:32

Leafmould, thanks for adding me to the list! It feels "official" now! I don't know what it says about me that it didn't feel "official" with frolic acid. Hehehehe. Think you've put me down as January, not February, but no matter. Your little girl's comment is hialrious but also -- oh, the pressure!

Kate, sorry to hear you're feeling ill... hope it's better soon. The job thing is tricky to work out too, good luck.

moomin, here's to an irresponsible Christmas for you! wine biscuit

dolly, you and me both! Two more periods till TTC (that is actually if I have good thyroid reports at the end of January. Think I just rained on my own parade!).

winterpansy, congratulations, that's wonderful news! Am so glad for you, it must be such a relief to know you have been taken seriously and listened to.

Horsey, I don't think we've met -- hello!

winterpansy Thu 13-Dec-12 14:04:59

Thanks literary, moomin and leaf!
I am delighted that the evil man complete wanker has finally been found out for what he is! He's conducted 8 years of bullying, sexual discrimination and harrassment to all female staff - the staff turnover is ridiculous for such a small organisation.

This means I'm more than likely getting back on the ttc train for definite! In fact DH made a comment last night about getting cracking so we may be starting sooner rather than later (although with my stupid irregular cycles I don't think I'll be ovulating until mid Jan but sure it'll be good fun getting the practice in) wink

moomin I'm jealous you have all your cards and wrapping done. I haven't done any! I am waiting on a MASSIVE Amazon delivery so I can get started!

Anyone got anything nice planned for the weekend? DH is working again but I am sure DS and I will do something nice and Christmassy. I've a nice dinner out with a good friend and her sil tomorrow night so that will be lovely.

HorseyGirl1 Thu 13-Dec-12 19:43:18

Hi, I joined ages ago but never post, just read the last couple of pages every few weeks. Just felt suddenly happy and excited about the prospect of TTC again! Could I just say best wishes to Winter Pansy - you sound like you have had a pretty rough time at your work - at least it is getting resolved at last. See you all again in a few weeks. xx

jazzcat28 Thu 13-Dec-12 19:48:49

Hi all, yet again I've been rubbish at keeping up the pace with this thread, but did notice loveyouforever has had a BFP so congrats!

Had another talk with DH about when to start... after previously thinking May was the right time we we unfortunate to hear of a sudden death over the weekend. Thankfully nobody close but close enough to make us re-think why it was we were waiting.

So the upshot of it all is that I'm going to stop taking my pill in January at somepoint, wait for first period to arrive and then jump on it! Literally smile

We did think about waiting to avoid march for the whole christmas birthday thing but in the end thought that was a silly reason to hang around.

So fingers crossed!

winterpansy Thu 13-Dec-12 20:42:32

Thanks so much horsey. Hope you pop in again soon and say hello!

Oooh Jazz that is good news - though I am sorry to hear of the reason for you starting ttc sooner rather than later. Good luck for the jumping on!

Tricycletops Fri 14-Dec-12 15:47:32

Can I join you guys? I've just made an appointment to have my implant removed and am slightly shitting myself but also very excited! The plan is to take a few months to get my head round my cycle (have been implanted for 4.5 years!) and then get on it while we're on holiday at the end of March...

dollydaydream26 Fri 14-Dec-12 17:57:48

Hi tricycletops welcome ! Looks like we have our ttc planned for the same time sure you are just as excited as I am! smile
I've turned down a job offer today that would have started feb it involved a lot of travelling being away from home and would definitely not be ideal if we wanted to start a family ....made it sink in how seriously I am taking this and how much I must actually want it !

winterpansy Fri 14-Dec-12 21:33:10

Hi tricycle and welcome! Sounds like a good plan to figure your cycles out and then start the ttc in a few months. Good luck!

Dolly Nice to have a job offer these days but you're just right to turn it down if circumstances don't feel right. Eeeekk...it is all getting serious for you but in a good way.

Roll on the BFPs [fgin]

I'm back on a downer tonight...things didn't go to plan with work. I'll not bore everyone as I am very self obsessed about this at the minute but if you want to know the gory details they are here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/employment_issues/1636930-Grievance-upheld-against-serial-bully-mediation?msgid=36005910#36005910

I'm determined not to let this spoil Christmas though and I have another job interview on Monday.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Friday night.

Leafmould Sat 15-Dec-12 19:52:48

Oh winter pansy I am so sorry to hear that they are not sacking him! What a nightmare. I do hope you can get some good advice and support from RL.

Hi tricycle tops, welcome. Nice idea to start ttc on holiday. Hmmm perhaps we can plan a may holiday . . . . Still seems like a long way away though!

Dp has told me he thinks I can stop Xmas shopping for the kids now! I've not got them a lot of stuff, really. I think he's probably right, but I still need to get them chocolate coins, and some little bits and pieces!

winterpansy Sun 16-Dec-12 14:56:44

Thanks leaf I'm proper gutted. Need to pick myself up though and remain positive for DS. Something will come along and in the meantime at least I never have to see evil boss again...except it court perhaps!

It's so hard to stop shopping for kiddies! We've spent a fortune on DS but I still see loads I want to buy him. Have to restrain myself!

KateBeckett Sun 16-Dec-12 15:54:07

winterpansy sorry to hear about work, had a quick look at your thread and it all sounds rubbish. Hope you can find something better soon!

Just a quick check in as I'm stuck in assessment marking hell ATM and need to stop procrastinating!

DP and I went to see the hobbit last night as it was fab smile anyone else seen it??

This thread is not accepting new messages.