Those waiting to ttc... (slightly pointless thread)

(1000 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 15-Oct-12 17:58:10

We're ttc #2 in dec and I know it's a really silly thing to get excited about, but just started taking folic acid and feeling very excited about it!

Sorry for the pointless thread.

winterpansy Sun 21-Oct-12 14:10:27

Definitelysometime and NoTwinkies - my DH is the same. He deals with the 'here and nows' rather than planning ahead which can be frustrating as I like to dream about the future and get everything in order. He is, however, totally 100% about going ahead with no.2. I was surprised, actually, that when I brought it up he was so easygoing about it. I expected a fight, a sulk, then a realisation it was right to plan another one wink
I've been told in no uncertain terms that it's one more only...I've always said I would like three but realise the practicalities of keeping it at two!

DS will be 19 months when we (hopefully) start TTC as I would like no more than 3 years between them.

Definitelysometime I got the sanatogen ones and they are not too big.

*LoveYouForeverMyBaby' Oooh..exciting! Good luck - fingers crossed for a BFP!

amiready Sun 21-Oct-12 17:08:17

hello everyone - I would like to join this thread. We are going to ttc after Christmas Day! I know it sounds silly but part of me wants a child who is older in the year, not the youngest. I have been waiting a looooong time though - we got married almost 4 years ago and I am in my mid 30s! But we had some career things to get out the way first. I am excited and on folic acid but part of me feels a bit scared about entering this whole new world of babies - I am not a natural maternal type and sometimes find kids quite annoying! Also am a bit of a control freak!! I think DH will be a great dad but both of us love our sleep and can easily sleep 10 hours a night! How will we do it! Came so close last night to just throwing away the condom but luckily he was more sensible than me!! It's just so weird thinking your whole life could change! Am also hoping it happens quickly - so many of my friends (almost all of them) have had troubles one way or another - it almost seems more common to have difficulties than not! Also it feels like everyone is waiting for us to announce it as most of my friends are already pregnant/mums and I know MIL is desperate for a grandchild - I'm sure they all think we are trying already.....I had a big thing about wanting to produce the first grandchild but it looks like SIL is trying now already! Oh well, it's not a race I know...

cautiouscat Sun 21-Oct-12 18:31:40

Hello everyone, can I join?
We're thinking of TTC from late January onwards - timed hopefully to fit around job changes, career and maximising maternity benefits...
DH has been great so far, since he suggested we could perhaps think about TTC, he has been very accepting of me buying pregnancy books, joining mums net and so on even though we don't have any kids yet.
amiready I know what you mean - so exciting yet scared completely especially about complications and giving birth etc!

cautiouscat Sun 21-Oct-12 18:32:54

PS I am planning to start folic acid and calcium about a month before TTC (definitely before stopping my pill), might try the likes of pregnacare but will research a bit first

SloeGinFizz Sun 21-Oct-12 18:59:00

Finally a thread I can join! I came off my pill a year ago and we're going to start trying in December. I'm hoping it'll be quick and painless!
We'll be trying for our first so I've got a lot to learn, I didn't know I was supposed to take folic acid before. Glad there are some experienced mummies on here to show me the ropes!

Good luck to you all, I don't know about you but I cannot wait!!

Part1 Sun 21-Oct-12 22:57:14

I think I have the longest wait, we will be TTC from August. I would love to try sooner but have to be practical so because of childcare issues need to wait til DS is over 3. Hopefully have a baby when he is 4 and soon to be going to school.

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 22-Oct-12 10:40:42

Hi! Can I join you too?

We are hoping to TTC around December time. Currently, we are in process of buying a house and we are putting off TTC till we have moved house. I had a miscarriage in May 2011 and I do not want to over exert myself and hence waiting till December time.

I already have a 5 year old DS smile

I will also celebrate my 39th birthday in a couple of weeks. I'm looking at the delay in TTC as a positive...... as I need to lose around 3 stones to get a healthy BMI. I'm really not expecting to lose all my excess weight but every little helps - right?

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 12:55:21

Welcome to all the other waiting to ttc-ers!

Leafmould Tue 23-Oct-12 19:14:22

Hi everyone,

How exciting loveyouforevermybaby ! Hope you get a bfp.... Have to wait a week or 2 to find out?

mrswjs hope you are doing well without your medication. How old are your dc?

I am really not certain what the recommended dosage or start time is for vitamin d I think you need to take it during pregnancy, but wondering if anyone has got some definately advice on this one?

amiready (whispers) other people's kids CAN be really annoying! I think your own children tend to be much less so! (well, that's my experience, anyway!)

child spacing there are so many conflicts about this! It's hard to get it right. Those who have spotted how expensive it is to have 2 kids in child care are way ahead of where I was when mine were small! I was appalled when I realised how big the bills were. And now I see parents struggling with babies when they are trying to get their bigger kids sorted at swimming lessons etc, and think that must be quite a challenge too.... They have such different sets of needs.

I am hoping that my older dc are going to be my helpers, but I realise I may be I bit optimistic about this, because regardless how much they love littler ones, time is going to be tighter.

stickthekettleon Tue 23-Oct-12 19:43:23

Join? Oomph me please, me please!

Have two dds, 3 and I and we are going to start trying again in ten days, having both been resolute that we would (obviously) be stopping at two. I was initially dead against doing it again (and DH followed that lead) but when my younger daughter turned 1 last month I had a realisation that actually I wanted a little gang of them and I remembered that once they hit 12 months it does all to start to get a bit easier again.

Have just turned 40 though so expecting difficulties. First two were quick, got pregnant first and second cycles respectively though had a MC at 9 weeks in between them.

Am having a massive "hang on a minute we are really pushing our luck here" in terms of healthy baby stuff and that's worrying me a lot. But it remains unfinished business to stop a 2 so have to go for it.

Hope this thread will run and run so we can chart people's progress!

Good luck one and all
X

Gooseysgirl Tue 23-Oct-12 19:52:03

We are also going to start TTC DC2 in January... Looks like Sept/Oct could be a busy month in maternity units if lots of us get lucky on first cycles!!! We're waiting til Jan as am not keen on having summer born baby for school. DD is only 7 mths so if we conceive straight away it will be a small gap but as I'm 37, don't want to leave it any longer. Feel v lucky to have got pregnant on 2nd cycle with DD, hoping we'll be as lucky this time!

winterpansy Tue 23-Oct-12 19:54:13

Hello to all the new ladies on the thread!

How is everyone doing? I seem to becoming more and more obssessed with TTC since I started MNing again over the past few weeks after a break for a while.
With all the work shite going on I've been just picturing next Christmas (2013) and hoping there will be another tiny person in my family!

How is the wait going for you all?

Definitelysometime Tue 23-Oct-12 20:01:42

Oh amiready you sound just like me. I'm not massively 'into' kids and love, love, love my sleep so just not sure I'm up to the job! But hoping, like leaf says, that it's totally different when they're your own! But still, SCARY!

Still, 8 months to go till we start TTC so plenty of time to get used to the idea!

TigerseyeMum Tue 23-Oct-12 20:09:05

Glad I found this thread, we plan to resume ttc in January after a 6 month break, tried unsuccessfully for 2 years prior.

I also will be 39 at the start of November and find other peoples kids annoying (shhhhhh) but my OH loves kids and I am hoping kids of your own are a different matter....

I am just starting with the folic acid again.

Good luck ladies!

winterpansy Tue 23-Oct-12 20:43:10

I was a wee bit like that with other people's kids but now I have my own DS it is totally different. Being a parent is absolutely amazing! Hard work and tiring but an incredible priviledge and pleasure. Makes my heart want to burst when I think about it (and I REALLY did not used to be a soppy person before having a LO!). In fact, it's testament to how fabulous my son is that I want another!

amiready Tue 23-Oct-12 20:55:08

oh that's really encouraging. Yes, I'm sure it must be different with your own because you know what your own particular boundaries are re discipline and fun etc. With my nephews and nieces you do feel a bit like you have to be 'on show' because I don't see them very often - even though I love them loads it can all be quite exhausting! I just can't believe that we will be trying for a baby really really soon! An actual real live baby!! I haven't really let myself think about it until now! Bit worried will be horrendously sick and my job is 12 hour days - v busy - going to be hard if there are any physical difficulties!! Still happily taking the folic acid! Hope it happens really really quick!

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Tue 23-Oct-12 22:42:19

Please can I squeeze onto this thread? (I'm also on the other preparing to ttc one) We plan to properly resume ttc in December but aren't being 100% careful while we wait.

London I am sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I can see why you want to minimise your stress and wait until after the house move. I lost a pregnancy in April and, much as I long for another BFP, I think I will be a nervous wreck if I am lucky enough to fall pregnant again.

I also have a five year old (DD), a November birthday approaching (36) and carry a bit of extra weight. Definitely going for an every little helps approach to losing it.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 24-Oct-12 09:16:28

Looks like I miscalculated, don't think I was ovulating last week when we dtd unprotected, looks like I am ov now ( have cramps and checked online calculator)...will have to be patient and wait another 2 months until all the excitement and fun of ttc can officially start - boo!

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Wed 24-Oct-12 14:02:29

LoveYouForever is there any reason you have to wait until December? Could you just go for it next month?

I thought I was ovulating Sunday/Monday as I had heaps of EWCM but now wonder if I jumped the gun because I seem to have even more now and tingly boobs. I find sometimes the more I listen to my body the more confused I get!

I get the impression that charting is really the best way of getting an understanding of your cycle but I don't think I could be disciplined enough to take my temperature each morning. I find it hard enough to remember to take my folic acid. Plus DD tends to wander into our room each morning to wake me up and I think she would wonder what on earth I was doing.

I think once the time comes DP and I are just going to have to DTD an awful lot. (I have to confess I have been eyeing up the clear blue fertility monitors though...even thought about asking for one for Christmas!)

NoTwinkies Wed 24-Oct-12 16:13:57

I think we're going to take the same approach Bridget - my DH will be pleased grin I want us to be as relaxed as possible about it although I'm pretty sure I'm going to freak out if/when we get a BFP. Despite our DD being totally unplanned we were really chilled about finding out I was pregnant - but this time I know what to expect.. not looking forward to morning sickness at all. I'm hoping that I can keep it at bay and start drinking Peppermint tea with my morning Folic acid before we even start trying! I also like my sleep but luckily the newborn-waking-every-2-hours-or-more stage doesn't last long.
I had a minor wobble about potentially having a winter baby as we've all been suffering coughs and colds this week.. my DD will be at pre-school so no way to avoid the bugs.

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Wed 24-Oct-12 16:59:24

NoTwinkies, the joys of morning sickness! I was rarely actually sick but felt like I was on the brink of throwing up morning, noon and night for about 12 weeks with DD. Funny thing is I think it has permanently changed me, pre DD I was never sick, now it takes barely anything to make me gag.

With my unsuccessful pregnancy I felt fantastic (weirdly full of energy) so if I get another BFP, I hope to feel completely and utterly wretched again.

It made me smile that you had a wobble about a winter baby - I'm the exact opposite. My daydreams are full of newborns in cosy snowsuits on crisp winter mornings or being cuddled in front of Christmas trees. I worry about summer babies overheating and not being ready for school at just turned 4. (Probably biased as DD was a Christmas baby)

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 24-Oct-12 17:09:59

bridget I would love to start ttc next month but oh wanted to wait until jan as he doesn't want me to worry about not drinking or avoiding certain foods over the Xmas period, and for us to go out for a few dinners during that time etc. I managed to convince him to push it forward to dec as I ovulate late in the month (that was my argument anyway!) so thinking another month might be a step too far(!)

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Wed 24-Oct-12 18:03:24

LoveYouForever, aaah, yes, probably best not to push things - definitely need the oh up for it too. I can see the attraction of lots of stress-free enjoyment of good food and good wine over the Christmas period. In fact, the more I think about it, the more perfect it sounds - lots of merriment and sophisticated dinners out, then down to the nitty-gritty of ttc, healthy eating etc.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 24-Oct-12 18:59:29

I can see his point esp as we fell pg on the 1st go with dc #1...hope we're as lucky second time round! What about you bridget why are you waiting to ttc?

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Wed 24-Oct-12 21:46:28

Aaah, it's a bit of a long story really...

I had DD way back in 2006 and DP and I always said we only wanted one child. A year or so later I've changed my mind and would love another, but DP is still absolutely insistent he doesn't. As you can imagine, plenty of tears, heartache, and discussions that go around in circles follow.

Fast forward to Autumn 2011 and we've reached a point where we really need to make a final decision over whether or not to have a second child. I've hit 35, DD is in school and, having been a SAHM since DD arrived, I need to make some long-term career decisions if there isn't going to be a DC2.

Around Christmas 2011, sort of out of the blue, DP starts getting careless over using contraception. I daren't even mention it because I can't believe he might have changed his mind. This carries on for a couple of months and I fall pregnant in March 2012. Unfortunately I miscarry at 7 weeks and we are both devastated. The one good thing to come out of the miscarriage is that I feel more confident DP really does want another child and is not just doing it for me.

We have been casually trying since June but it's becoming clear a more determined approach is going to be needed. Now I just want to take a break until after Christmas because I don't want my birthday, and DD's, and Christmas overshadowed by ttc anxieties (the 2 week wait can turn me into a symptom spotting lunatic if I'm not careful). Another reason, is that my due date would have been early December too and I feel once this has passed I can really embrace trying to conceive again.

I have booked a tetanus booster for November so there is definitely no trying until after Christmas now!

(sorry for the essay! Bet you wish you hadn't asked..)

This thread is not accepting new messages.