TTC Super Ovulation part 3

(978 Posts)
Arianrhod Mon 08-Oct-12 08:30:07

Hey ladies -

There are a few of us who are ttc after mc's, however there will be ladies out there who are also ttc for the first time or second or third without success. If anyone is on, considering or had success on a super ovulation programme then do join us. How long did it take ? Did you try IUI with it.. ? Did you have PCOS?

Kicking this off and hoping some of you will join....

part 1 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1385998-TTC-Super-Ovulation

Part 2 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1475108-TTC-Super-Ovulation-part-2?pg=1

brownstag Tue 07-May-13 16:26:24

BreezyWeezy and Ari, good luck with everything. BreezyWeezy, your description of the cytotoxicity test and the effect of the NK cells on pregnancy tissue is such a convincing graphic illustration of what I had begun to suspect recently is just theory.
So confusing ... in the interests of impartiality I have been reading articles that are really 'anti' the whole NK cells/steroids theory, and starting to go along with them, but that has really put a spanner in the works for me!
Having said that, I've just been reading one saying that the major flaw with the whole theory is that circulating NK cells (i.e. what we have tested in a blood test) have nothing whatsoever to do with the NK cells in the uterus, where their function is unknown ...
Ari, do you know when I should start taking agnus castus after a miscarriage? Nothing's going on and I want to kick start it, but do you have to wait for one cycle first?
Mel, good luck tomorrow. I had a week before my ERPC and in a way it gave me time to come to terms with what had happened a bit before it was finally over; I could pretend to be pregnant for a little bit longer. So you might find everything a bit quick. On the other hand, you might prefer it all over now that you know. Either way, we'll all be thinking of you. x

Mel3062 Tue 07-May-13 17:06:55

Thanks brown yes didnt expect tomorrow but hopefully will be able to find something rather than if I wait I may bleed and damage be done. Then I can try look forward though I thought I had been sad I'm at a loss now. Brown when will you get answers? Now I wonder what if they missed the heartbeat which is silly I know sad

brownstag Tue 07-May-13 17:18:43

I know, I had the same fears that maybe they were wrong, and there was really a heart beat. You just don't want to believe it, and in your case after what's happened it's hardly surprising. But you saw it on the screen, didn't you? I did, and I even got them to print pictures. I now have a little envelope with all my positive pregnancy tests and scan photos at 6 weeks plus 4, and 8 weeks plus 4. All that's left of our baby.
They told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks that I would get an appointment through to discuss the results and I got it today, 17th July. I'm kind of clinging to that as something to look forward to, to get some answers. A friend of mine worked years ago as a secretary at Guy's, where they sent the sample, and she said the tests almost always show a genetic abnormality, which is what Louise said too about the ones Mr S does. You can kind of accept it if that's the case; I don't know what I'll do if it's normal. And I'll be so disappointed if for some reason they couldn't do the test.

Mel3062 Tue 07-May-13 17:48:55

I hope you get answers brown x been reading my report from 2010 I've sent it all to mr s. I think wel enjoy Mexico then see where that takes us ;) I'm scared oh will say enoughs enough but I don't think he's at that point just yet. I still hope the plan will work as some have failed then gone on to have a positive outcome haven't they?! I can't give up yet x

Mel3062 Tue 07-May-13 17:50:01

My blood is A Rhd positive and anti e and anti c so don't know if too many red cell antibodies are a problem x

BellyD Tue 07-May-13 21:29:06

Mel so very sorry to hear your news. It sucks. Best of luck for tomorrow, will be thinking of you. Totally agree with the others who have said remind all the medical staff to test what they take away.

Breezy having my treatment at Zita West. Terrified of ivig (not only because of £££) but due to allergy risk, as I am allergic to all sorts!! Have been researching like mad tonight about it, before we make our final decision, but just think I have to have it if the ivf is going to have a chance of working. Really interested about your cytotoxicity test and your ivf chances sound pretty good to me. Good luck.

Ari sorry you are still struggling with the clexane. Have you checked with Penny if you can try to put it in your thigh to see if that is easier?

Arianrhod Wed 08-May-13 09:31:04

mel Lots of luck today, thinking of you xx

brown Goodness, why do they make you wait so long to discuss the results? Just seems to add insult to injury. Hope the answers are at least useful to you - chromosomal abnormality seems to be the 'best' answer I always feel, because then it's absolutely nothing that you could have done anything about to influence it either way. Agnus castus you can start taking straightaway - I always restarted it as soon as I knew I was miscarrying. It takes a while to build up in your body, and only has a beneficial effect anyway. I asked Penny whether it was still ok to take AC with the downreg drug, as I was concerned the AC would promote hormones that you don't want while you're downregged, and she was of the opinion that it's so gentle a herb that it wouldn't do any harm at all, and that I should keep taking it. So I would say it's absolutely fine for you to take now, if you want to.

belly Yes I could have the jab in my thigh, or apparently the back of the upper arm, but you know, I'm such a wuss when it comes to pain, I couldn't contemplate either! I did actually ask Penny, and she's given me some advice on an easier way to do it, but also suggested if nothing helps to get some 1ml insulin syringes and transfer the Clexane into there before injecting. One of the other girls on FF had said she does this for neupogen too, so I've ordered some insulin syringes - they use the same very fine needle as do the Ovitrelle and gonal-f (and, in my case, the neupogen) pen injections, and they're just fine to inject. I know you still get the sting of the actual Clexane, but if I can reduce or even get rid of the awful bruising then I will be a happy camper indeed.

It's so interesting hearing everyone's differing experiences with their IVF clinics and protocols. Keep the reports coming ladies, if you don't mind! belly I've only ever heard good things about Zita West (and I have their relaxation/meditation CDs too, haven't listened to them yet though), fingers crossed that they hold the answer for you.

lemonsherbet Wed 08-May-13 09:57:55

Mel posted on the other thread thinking it was this one. Just wanted to say am thinking of you today.

Pebbles73 Wed 08-May-13 13:41:30

Also just wanted to let you know Mel am thinking of you and all you are going through, hope you get back to normal soon.

So much ivf going on here now, we all seemed to have got to the same place at similar times! Wishing all of you who have started/about to start your cycle lots of luck. Half of me is looking forward to starting ivf and half is dragging it out in case it turns out be my last try and doesn't work! I am hoping if it doesn't to have one last crack at it all with donor eggs.

Mel3062 Wed 08-May-13 17:11:58

Thanks ladies just been discharged as I was 2 hours in recovery as blood pressure went very low and I was shaking. Hopefully get some answers in 6 weeks. Got a sick note for next week too which I may just take advantage of x

Arianrhod Thu 09-May-13 08:59:34

Do it mel, take some time out for you and to R&R a bit. Glad you're ok, my BP always goes very low after GA too. Make sure you take some time to put your feet up and pamper yourself, you deserve it.

Mel3062 Thu 09-May-13 11:04:30

Thanks ari, just debating whether its worth being tested by prof quenby to check womb or if that will just confuse treatment and should just stick with mr s. surely the intralipids would've helped any in the womb?

Pebbles73 Thu 09-May-13 13:21:49

Mel you should defo make use of that note as you need time to recover physically and mentally as well. As Ari said pamper and loom after yourself and think about your lovely holiday.

Well someone in my department had today announced she is pregnant! She got married (went to her reception) in November so got pregnant pretty quickly. It never gets any easier to hear does it?? I felt like I had been physically punched and couldn't breathe properly, was that horrible panicky feeling. Was out the room luckily when she announced it and one of my colleagues told me, she just came in the room and had to pretend I was really busy and ignored her as just couldn't bring myself to be happy and say congrats. Now feeling like a bit of a cow.
Now feeling seriously fed up and like it is never going to happen.

Sorry for the me post especially after all Mel and Brown are going through.

Mel3062 Thu 09-May-13 14:39:29

Hey pebbles don't be daft it affects us all and no doesn't get easier. I can imagine one particular person at work will be wondering if I'm stopping now I'm at number 5 of course she's had a textbook pregnancy twice working til she was in labour but I can hear her now....
Penny has suggested I need a hysteroscopy which I will do next then hopefully try again in the summer. The question is here or Athens?? X

Arianrhod Thu 09-May-13 15:28:36

pebbles So sorry, I know what you mean, it's a horrible feeling hearing that someone else has got apparently effortlessly pregnant and really hard to deal with. Big hugs, don't be hard on yourself.

mel Did you email Penny then? I have to say if she says she thinks you may need an hysteroscopy, after my own personal experience and seeing many other ladies' experiences on FF, I'd say she's probably right. Do bear in mind though that there is a huge difference between having one here - where they don't seem to recognise scar tissue - and in Athens. Remember I had an hysteroscopy here with Mr S last August and they found absolutely nothing wrong, whereas the one in Athens last month found a whole load of scar tissue that meant nothing could ever properly implant. I know it's a bit of a pain having to fly out there, but I really couldn't fault the care and attention, and I would do it again. My personal experience, of course, and everyone has to do whatever is best for them.

And on that note ... well, I had my day 9 lining scan today and it was utterly rubbish, 5mm. 5mm? I ask you, how pathetic! Penny seems completely unfazed though, told me not to panic and has upped my oestrogen intake. She also told me that she has scanned my donor today and she is ready, so egg collection will be Saturday and I have to fly out next Thursday for egg transfer. Seriously bricking it now! OH is disgruntled as that apparently interferes with his oncall .. honestly, he's in IT like me, it's not as if he's a doctor and it's life and death!

There's just so much that can go wrong, and this is truly the end of the road for us if this doesn't work, so I'm very nervous of actually undertaking this. I'm sure you all know what I mean!

Mel3062 Thu 09-May-13 16:01:55

I did email her i just felt I had to be abit proactive my way of dealing with it I guess. Thanks ari it's good to hear personal experience. I didn't realise mr s did it but as he didnt see the fetus I don't think I'd get him to do it. Athens certainly know their stuff. Ari good luck that's great I may see you there you never know!! X

duggs1976 Thu 09-May-13 16:40:52

Oh ladies I need to catch up as so much happening on here! I like action. Action is good it moves things along. Just a really quick Q all about me where is best place for me to get gonal F ? I've got prescription in bag and am in central London?
Will reply to you all later.
Pebbles my assistant who is about 9 announced her pregnancy yesterday (31 actually but ykwim) felt sick as I've been here for almost 4 yrs going no where 5 pregnancies later! Yuck yuck! Anyway hopefully some positive stories here for us all soon grin

Pebbles73 Thu 09-May-13 22:01:55

Thanks for the support ladies, now I am the only one out of all my friends who hasn't had children don't feel I can really talk about it to anyone else. I just feel they don't understand....

So Mel you are thinking of trying Athens? From everything Ari says seems like a great place to go.

Ari we can understand how nervous you must be, it is frightening getting to the end of the road but you have done everything you possibly can. You must now be good to yourself and relax as much as you can (I know is difficult in real life!!) try to take things easy and look after yourself

Sorry Duggs fir replying a bit late in the day but have only had gonal f with ivf which was supplied by the hospital. Hope you got it sorted out..

suemays Thu 09-May-13 23:45:56

Hi ladies sorry for the short post but I found this website with comparisons of ivf drugs. I have asked the lister to provide a prescription so will prob order with healthcare at home. Start the ivf steroids on Monday so long as my period doesn't turn up (like it did on day 17 last month)

http://fryingpanorfire.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/ivf-drug-costs_4.html?m=1

Waves to you all!

Mel3062 Fri 10-May-13 06:37:00

Yes pebbles sounds like a Hysterocopy is my next step and after seeing my workmates 20 week scan on Facebook if I don't think of something constructive I think ill sink sad sounds like Athens is the place to go. I'm hoping to go next week but it may be too soon though I'm hardly bleeding and thought while I'm off would be good ill ask penny.
Also debating about seeing prof quenby about uterine cells?? Opinions grateful x

Mel3062 Fri 10-May-13 06:54:08

Ari how much did it cost for flights and hotel if you don't mind me asking? I know the op will be about £1500, I need to broach the subject with hubby tonight... Where did you stay ari? X

Arianrhod Fri 10-May-13 09:47:12

Op was €1550 (that's about £1300 at the mo), and I am sorry to say that flights are absolutely bl**dy horrendous at the moment! Four weeks ago we paid about £450 for 3 of us to fly to Athens (return). Last night I booked for next Wednesday night just for me and it was £628 ... !!! OH says it's because it was so last-minute, if you can book even a couple of weeks in advance and it's a lot cheaper - plus if I'd been able to go a day earlier or later, or a different time of day, I would have saved about £200. Unfortunately circumstances dictate I have to fly the day and time that I have booked, and that just happened to be the most expensive sad

Hotel - we stayed at the Airotel Alexandros, it was less than a 10 min walk to Serum from there, and they were really helpful and friendly, I'd recommend them. Serum have a discounted rate with them, but there are other hotels in the same area too that others have used. When I get back from having ILs this afternoon I'll dig you out Agate's list of recommended hotels if you like? Think the room for three of us cost £179 for two nights (that includes breakfast).

As for uNK .. well, I did a lot of reading on this subject as I'm sure you can guess smile and I found several research papers that indicated NK cells in the uterus are of a different type to those found in the blood, which I think we all probably know. However, these papers stated that some of the NK cells in the uterus can be beneficial, not harmful, to an embryo, and as such, testing for the presence of uNK cells really doesn't necessarily indicate that there is an immune problem. My personal opinion, and this IS just my opinion, is that testing for uNK cells would just cloud the issue and not really give you much in the way of help in determining whether you have a problem or not. The treatment is much the same either way, isn't it, the same steroids/ILs/IVIG, whatever is deemed appropriate by your particular consultant? I don't know, I can't state categorically, but for myself I decided uNK testing to be a bit pointless.

mel I would email all of your test results to Penny - every test you've had with Mr S and anywhere else if you've had them - along with the completed from from the Serum site if you haven't already, and all your miscarriage/treatment history, and then have a consultation with her before deciding to just go out there for an hysto. There may be other factors that she feels need addressing than just those that an hysto will address. Just a thought.

duggs Hope you found your gonal-f ok, and best of luck sue for your cycle! pebbles Hope you're feeling a bit better today, and we definitely understand the pain of seeing others (even 9 year old assistants ;) ) getting pregnant. It seems horribly unfair when we've gone through so much and still aren't there.

/waves to everyone

Mel3062 Fri 10-May-13 10:07:08

Thanks for that ari. That was the hotel I was thinking of that's on agates info. I've emailed the form previously but yes ill do it again and forward everything. From what I understand you go sonewhere different to serum for the procedure?? I don't know if ill do the uterine test, as you say I don't think it'll help much being as I'm on steroids etc anyway, if rather get Hysterocopy sorted. Having a bit of a down day wishing I'd asked for a rescan or abit more focused in I just can't get my head round it today, it's all been so quick emotion wise x

Mel3062 Fri 10-May-13 10:08:35

How did you book the hotel?

lemonsherbet Fri 10-May-13 13:45:59

Mel I know I am not in the same situation but I think going to Athens seems really good. Just look at the care Ari is getting there and the price seems similar to the UK. OK I am just guessing about the price.

pebbles completely understand. I was getting to the stage where I dreaded looking at facebook because yet another person would be putting up a scan photo. It seems to be the popular way to announce a pregnancy or getting a telephone call in the evening and having to pretend to be so happy for them and talk babies when felt that I wanted to have some crying time for myself. Does that make sense.

duggs hope you managed to find somewhere for the meds.

sue and ari fingers crossed for you both that this is your cycle.

I am fine. Am 34 weeks and baby is growing well. We have finally started to buy things. Had not bought anything before now because we were so worried it would go wrong. Like Mel I have had late losses. Midwife appointment next week, anniversary of our 20 week loss is the same day, so imagine my blood pressure will be through the roof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now