TTC Super Ovulation part 3

(978 Posts)
Arianrhod Mon 08-Oct-12 08:30:07

Hey ladies -

There are a few of us who are ttc after mc's, however there will be ladies out there who are also ttc for the first time or second or third without success. If anyone is on, considering or had success on a super ovulation programme then do join us. How long did it take ? Did you try IUI with it.. ? Did you have PCOS?

Kicking this off and hoping some of you will join....

part 1 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1385998-TTC-Super-Ovulation

Part 2 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1475108-TTC-Super-Ovulation-part-2?pg=1

BellyD Fri 05-Apr-13 14:04:43

Pebbles sorry to hear AF turned up sad

Lemon definitely stay on this thread, we are all here for virtual handholding.

Sue your antral follicle scan sounded really positive - and like mine, not really in line with your AMH level. I am more inclined to trust the follicle scan - so hopefully we will both respond to the stimulation ok.

Ari glad to hear your plans are going well - not long to go now. The whole Super Donor thing sounds great, and how kind of Penny to be looking for one for you.

Breezy thanks for asking about the IVF thing - we haven't received our protocol yet, and am due to start taking the pill in May - I also have to have IVIG which is making me pretty nervous. We went to see the nutritionist yesterday and this may be of interest to other IVF people, although your clinics may advise you similarly. From egg stimulation I have to take additional protein supplements (Solgar whey to go) until egg collection- either that or eat an additional chicken breast every day on top of the protein I already eat. I may be able to enter Miss Universe this year wink!

Duggs I mentioned a while ago about an additional thrombosis test that I had done - I couldn't remember the name but asked when I went to the clinic yesterday - it was PAI-1 4G/5G and I tested homo/heterozygous for it (can't remember which). In all the testing I have had, this had not been done, but I can see that Agate talks about it under the Thrombophilia section of her FF FAQ so maybe it is a more common test than I realised and it had just slipped through the net. Treatment is with Clexane. Sorry to cover old ground if everyone has already been tested for this.

Does anyone mind this is turning in to an IVF thread? I just feel more comfortable on hear as we all have a similar history.

lemonsherbet Sun 07-Apr-13 18:11:10

I think this is the it is not just NK cells thread. I think it is quite interesting that for some people the pred works wonders. Then for the rest it does not really work, then SO is mentioned then IVF. It is strange that there are so many unanswered questions. Who knows in 15 years time may be they will know more about it. I think recurrent miscarriage is a bit of an under researched area. It seems to be infertile you can not get pregnant you get more research. Where we fall in the middle ground of you can get pregnant, so not sure what we can do to help. Hope some of that makes sense.

Arianrhod Mon 08-Apr-13 08:18:44

Agree with lemon (and definitely do stay here lemon, I think we're all in this together!) - much as I really like and respect Mr S I think there are just too many more potential factors than just 'high NK cells' that need taking into account. I've always maintained it would be better by far if you find out that cause of the elevated NK cells and treat that, rather than just empirically treating high NK cells per se. Obviously for some ladies - possibly quite a lot - just treating with pred/intralipids will do the trick - maybe for those who 'just' have a fairly straightforward autoimmune issue (such as thyroid problems) that's triggering their high NK cells, perhaps just pred/intralipids will do (along with the appropriate thyroid medication in the case of thyroid issues, of course). But when there are more things going on, then this 'one size fits all' approach just doesn't work, in my own opinion.

My own case is a classic. The more I read, the more I realise that (age notwithstanding) there was never a chance I could naturally have had children with my partner, because of our 100% DQa match. And it's very unlikely that the combination of pred/intralipids could ever work on their own for us, once my body started producing killer cells against our embryos - it only takes a couple of miscarriages and levels are then too high. I'm sure I did also have raised NK cells anyway before we started TTCing, triggered by my DD's birth 6 years ago, due to other things I've seen going on with my body, and our DQa match just put the lid on it, as it were.

I've been reading quite a bit on Dr Braverman's methods and research lately, and it strikes me that he really does know his stuff. Although his consultation fees are horrendous (even for telephone calls) he seems to really test everything possible to be tested, and then come up with a treatment plan appropriate to what the problem is. He's one person I wish I could have been tested with back when we first hit this recurrent miscarriage problem. Obviously now for us it's too late, now we have a definite issue with egg age and I suspect that's as much of a problem as the NK cell issue now.

Anyway, I'm rambling. And for one, I'm personally happy whatever this thread turns into smile

/waves to everyone - I will be going quiet after today for a week as we're in the Canaries, and when we get back we're straight off to Athens to see Penny. I'll try to keep up with what everyone's doing on holiday, but I probably won't post.

brownstag Mon 08-Apr-13 20:06:06

Good luck Ari, and everyone on their IVF journeys.
Well, bad news for me today. I had a 8 + 2 scan today and although the baby has been growing well up until today(8 + 4), the heart rate was erratic, mostly about 30, very low.
Mr S tried to make me feel better by saying that he has come across it once or twice before, where a rescan showed the heart rate had increased again; the other explanation is that it just so happened that the scan took place on the day the baby was dying. I know which one my money's on.
My scan's on Wednesday morning at the local hospital.
I'm very thankful I didn't allow myself to bond with this baby or think too far ahead. The whole pregnancy has just been a kind of hopeful state of amenorrhea.

duggs1976 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:18:02

Terribly sorry for you brown. hmm But I will remain hopeful for you.

Ari I am 100 percent with you on all you said below. Enjoy the canaries and get some well deserved sun x

Mel3062 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:53:07

Aw brown I'm so keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.
Ari have a fab time in the sun, we've booked a hol to Mexico for July which we so need as didnt get one last year. Good luck at serum too.
Waves to all xx

BellyD Mon 08-Apr-13 21:01:43

Brown sorry to hear your news, but will keep everything crossed for your scan on Wednesday.

Ari have a great time away in the Canaries and good luck in Athens.

Pebbles73 Tue 09-Apr-13 14:18:30

So sorry to read your post Brown and hope it is good news on Wednesday, fingers crossed.

Ari enjoy your hols and good luck with Athens.

I don't know if you have been to Mexico before *Mel but I loved it smile

Lemon definitely stay on here with us.

Belly I totally agree with you as also feel comfortable on here as most ivf threads seem to be people without immune issues and miscarriage problems like us.

Waves to everyone else.

Mel3062 Tue 09-Apr-13 14:34:59

Aw thanks pebbles no we haven't so looking forward to it, glad you hear you enjoyed it where did you stay? X

Breezyweezy Tue 09-Apr-13 16:08:13

Brown so very, very sorry to hear about your scan. I have been there before and it is completely gutting, whether you had started to bond with the baby and look ahead or not. I'm crossing fingers and toes for your next scan on Wednesday.

Ari hope you have a fab time in the sun in the Canaries. I am very jealous. And I cannot believe that in a matter of weeks you'll be over in Greece for your consultation. How soon after do you start? And have they matched you to a donor yet, or will that happen when you go over? Exciting times, but also I am with you on the bricking it about the costs. Just don't think about it is what my family have been telling me, but as they are not the ones spending it, it's easy for them to say!!

Pebbles glad to hear your wtf cycle has ended but rubbish about the pain. I too have a stinking cold at the moment that started as sinusitis (ouch) and it is my 2nd one in a month! I am wondering what this means about my supposedly very high NKCs too. I am not on any hydroxy or Pred so they should be rampaging through my body killing off whatever bad things they find. It's probably more likely they have given up trying to fight all the germs loitering in the windowless, airless courtroom I find myself stuck in for 5 hours a day!

Sue glad to hear your appointment at the Lister went well. I can understand why they would want to see how you respond to stimulation first before full IVF. I haven't had my follow up after my £££ tests yet, but am also wondering what they will actually recommend treatment wise to me. I am another one whose antral follicle count doesn't really tally with the very low/undetectable AMH result, so I really have no idea what they will say to me and annoyingly the consultant said he didn't want to talk possible treatment until he had the results of the further testing he requested. Also, I had the TNF alpha test back in November the last time I went to see Mr S and it came back fine (much to my amazement as there is usually something wrong!) so no humira for me.

Belly very interesting about the nutritionist's advice on the protein supplements. Is this a service offered by your clinic or did you seek out a nutritionist yourselves? I shall be noting it down for when we start our IVF!!

Mel Mexico will be lovely. We've been twice, all inclusive of course, and absolutely loved it! Good luck with the next round of SO - when do you start?

Duggs looked at my most recent TSH results from Jan this year and TSH was 1.09 and FT4 15.5 which I believe are normal. The Lister have just retested them though for some reason and I'll find out new levels at the end of the month.

Waves to all.

Mel3062 Tue 09-Apr-13 17:10:40

Breezy so glad you liked Mexico smile got ovitrelle and gonal f today so just awaiting af at weekend though no signs whatsoever of a bfp sad x

lemonsherbet Wed 10-Apr-13 09:34:26

Brown so sorry to hear about your scan. I am really hoping that it does not come true and that the heart rate picks up, but am thinking of you. Keeping my fingers crossed for your repeat scan today.

Ari am jealous that you are getting to have some sun. Hope everything goes well for you in Athens. It sounds like they are looking after you. Hoping for good news on your return.

Mel Mexico sounds good.

sue, duggs and breezy hope all is going well with the IVF journey.

Waves to anyone that I have missed off.

I am doing fine, had a GTT last week since this baby is turning out to be very big. That at least is normal and due another growth scan today. Will be 30 weeks tomorrow and still not bought anything. Keep expecting it to, but think that is normal for what we have been through. At least that is what I am telling myself.

Mel3062 Wed 10-Apr-13 09:42:32

30 weeks lemon where did that go then? Yes I totally understand the not buying anything though think I would be tempted to now! Xx

Mel3062 Wed 10-Apr-13 11:47:46

Thinking of you today brown what time is your scan? X

brownstag Wed 10-Apr-13 15:17:32

Lemon, with my DS, I was totally ill-prepared until the last minute. I couldn't quite believe it all until I was in actual labour, at which point I was frenziedly reading the instructions for the TENS machine.
Thanks for everyone's good wishes. My scan was at 11.15, and sadly, as expected, no heartbeat.
I have an ERPC next Wednesday, and they will do a genetic test.
I'm not sure if I'm going to last until then, though, as I have cramping now. Does anyone know if they can still do the test if you keep the tissue?
I feel quite sad for my baby, because I didn't allow myself to love her (my DS insisted on calling the baby 'her'). I had told him about the pregnancy because I was just so tired and ill and grumpy all the time, and now he's so disappointed he's not getting a sister.
Does anyone know if the genetic test tells you the sex?

Mel3062 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:27:54

Oh hun I am so sorry sad I'm sending lots of hugs. Yes they should still do the test if you can get the tissue. I remember miscarrying at 16 weeks and literally had to sit with a bowl to deliver my son in hospital sad I couldn't look though but the nurse took a photo and then lost it with my file so never did have that sad
I think gendar wise it depends how far along you are.
I'm so sorry you're going through this xx

Mel3062 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:32:25

I had a genetic test again when I miscarried at 7 and half weeks and on my notes it said female karotype so not sure if it was a girl or it was meaning me.

duggs1976 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:39:23

So sorry brown. So sorry.
Yes if you have a sterile cup with lid - tupperware or something like that would do, just dip on hot water. Refrigerate and they can send off. Thing is the earlier the more difficult to test as so mixed with your DNA too. If they get anything at all the yes the sex should be measurable because you can test the sex of an embryo from the XX or XY combination. Not sure if those are standard tests though. Perhaps a bit early to know yet but do you think this has given you some potential hope for the possibility that you can still conceive and therefore given you that indication you can try again? Look at sue bless her. It is so sup rising what time does to you. It's been a year since my last mc in Egypt and I never imagined I'd be here ( not having achieved all that much tbh) but still here on these boards...hmm if you want to vent etc. We r the ones to vent to.

Can I ask were you on gonal f? Is anyone? Dr s sent me private prescription in post as I asked Louise for it in my 200 year wait for nhs ivf and there r no notes of instructions when to take it etc? She is on holiday so I am looking on google.

Hello lemon, pebbles, breezy, ari, mel, bellyd. . . Anyone heard from choccy she is suspiciously quiet which usually means she has got a bfp bless her but then that has never been her issue. Hope she is ok if out there?

Mel3062 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:51:06

Duggs I've just got my gonal f AGAIN on my box 450iu 75 iu to be administered on days 2 to 7 x

lemonsherbet Wed 10-Apr-13 16:51:20

Brown I am so sorry. I think I remember one of the the ladies on the miscarriage board using a white top urine bottle to store the tissue in and then taking it to A and E for them to send off (this was a while back so my memory may be not accurate). If you call EPAU they should be able to tell you if that is correct. Your GP surgery should be able to give you one, but not the one with the powder in. If they are doing the genetics test then yes they should be able to tell you if it was a boy or a girl. Am here for hand holding if you need it.

ChoccyPud Wed 10-Apr-13 19:23:45

Brown I'm so sorry.

I'm not sure about what container to use or sterilising, but I remember someone from the Pred thread saying that the hospital put her "products" (awful word) in the wrong chemical so rather than preserving them until they got to the lab, it meant they couldn't be tested despite her having carefully kept everything in a sterile container. Talk about being let down by the so called experts.

Duggs you made me laugh there! Nope not upduffed - should be ovulating any time though no smiley on ov stick as yet. Cd14 today. Saying that, no smiley last time I got pg so I shan't worry too much and will start Pred on Friday. The humira must be gone now, so I'm chugging green tea and 500mg resveratrol every day. And swi-ing for England wink I'll keep you posted of any news smile

I like the idea of "it's more than just NKCs" thread btw...

Waves to all

duggs1976 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:50:31

Yeah can we rename pls -"it's more than just NKs for us" !! Hello choccy !

Mel3062 Wed 10-Apr-13 22:03:24

Choccy what's green tea and 500mg resveratrol do? I've just finished humira too x

ChoccyPud Thu 11-Apr-13 07:17:09

They're supposed to help reduce TNF alpha levels Mel

Mel3062 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:38:15

More things to go with my Wobenzym!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now