TTC Super Ovulation part 3

(978 Posts)
Arianrhod Mon 08-Oct-12 08:30:07

Hey ladies -

There are a few of us who are ttc after mc's, however there will be ladies out there who are also ttc for the first time or second or third without success. If anyone is on, considering or had success on a super ovulation programme then do join us. How long did it take ? Did you try IUI with it.. ? Did you have PCOS?

Kicking this off and hoping some of you will join....

part 1 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1385998-TTC-Super-Ovulation

Part 2 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1475108-TTC-Super-Ovulation-part-2?pg=1

Pebbles73 Mon 21-Jan-13 19:57:10

Thanks Ari iI did have a little look and they sound really good but can't find any sucsess rates for them but haven't discounted going abroad.

brownstag Tue 22-Jan-13 12:18:34

Duggs, just caught up with the thread and am so sorry it didn't work this time. But you are one step further, I think, in that you know you can conceive again. I find myself in two minds all the time, about which is worse, infertility or my previous recurrent early miscarriage. At least with infertility you never lose or mourn for anything, but with recurrent miscarriage you at least have hope. Although maybe that's the worst part, as I read on a blog somewhere, always carrying 'the burden of hope'.
Well, nothing going on here, literally ... my cycle seems to have stopped altogether since the laparoscopy. No ovulation or looking like anything approaching it and I'm on CD14. Has anyone else had this after a procedure? I've had a laprascopy before but wasn't ttc then so paid no attention to my cycle afterwards.

Arianrhod Tue 22-Jan-13 16:14:21

When did you have your lap brown? I've not had one myself, but had a quick chat with Dr Google and he seems to indicate the cycle immediately following a lap can be unpredictable. Not speaking from experience, though.

brownstag Wed 23-Jan-13 13:01:06

I had it on the 10th; I'm actually CD14 today; I got that wrong. I can feel something subtle going on in the ovaries though, so maybe things are revving up!

brownstag Fri 25-Jan-13 13:46:37

Oh, hurry up, you stupid womb!

Arianrhod Fri 25-Jan-13 16:25:52

Still no positive OPK brown?

Arianrhod Fri 25-Jan-13 16:26:15

Assuming you are using OPKs, of course smile

Arianrhod Fri 25-Jan-13 16:27:30

7DPO today here and no twinges of anything at all, not even any vague implantation-type pangs. Ho hum.

lemonsherbet Mon 28-Jan-13 19:16:13

How is everyone doing?

duggs hope you are doing OK after your miscarriage. Still thinking of you

brownstag Mon 28-Jan-13 19:58:54

At last, a positive OPK! All other fertility signs completely out of kilter.
Could anyone advise on the cheapest way to buy Ovitrelle please? Boots quoted me £42.

tillyann2013 Mon 28-Jan-13 20:47:42

Hello everyone, may I join you? Just about to stab myself with my first gonal f. Eeeek!

Mel3062 Tue 29-Jan-13 19:27:38

Yey brown!!Central hOmecare is £20 for ovitrelle or new life?
Welcome tillyann I've had gonal f before good luck I'm onto humira now!
I'm nearing a positive opk too but Louise said wait til after results in case I need a second lot sad that'll be another month gone sad I know it makes sense as dont want to risk another mc but its so hard sad x
Waves to all

lemonsherbet Wed 30-Jan-13 09:15:30

Hi Ladies,

I hope you do not mind me posting on here even though I never made it to SO. This is going to be a bit of a me post, sorry. I just thought most of the old timers were on here rather than the pred thread. I am sure you know that I was initially diagnosed with high NK cells and then took pred. I then went on to have a chemical pregnancy after being on treatment for quite a long time and felt that I was struggling to get pregnant on pred. Anyway last summer Mr S retested my NK cells and they had shot up (a lot) and had one of the highest counts. He suggested pred, hydroxychloroquine, SO and intralipids. At that time DH and me decided to stop all treatment rather than keep adding more and more in. We thought we would ask to be seen on the NHS in a recurrent miscarriage clinic. Anyway I have just had my 20 week scan- so despite the fact that I have not had any treatment in this pregnancy or prior to conception, I have managed to get pregnant and so far everything is going OK.

I know that Mr S works for many people but just wanted to let you know that so far for me it is working despite having no treatment. I don't want to upset anyone but since over the past 1 year you have been a source of support I just wanted to let you know.

Arianrhod Wed 30-Jan-13 09:56:18

Oh wow lemon, that's just fantastic! I'm so pleased for you, what a brilliant bit of news. So you weren't taking any meds - no pred, hydroxy, etc? I do wonder if we're not oversuppressing our systems sometimes - there has to be some inflammatory action apparently for an egg to implant. I don't know, I'm not an expert obviously! Did you start taking pred/progesterone/intralipids etc once you knew you were pregnant, or did you stay off it all? I'm so pleased!

brown Yay for that pos OPK - I always got my ovitrelle through Central Homecare for £20, but that was when buying gonal-f at the same time so delivery was free.

tillyann Welcome to the thread, and the injections aren't so bad (this from someone who HATES needles!).

Nothing doing at all for me, AF due on Fri and showing absolutely no signs of anything, so another cycle goes by without success. I'm still not doing SO and probably won't, neither am I taking pred (but I am taking Wobenzym, hoping that does something). Hoping against hope it happens sometime, but realistically speaking the odds are not at all good for me at 45.

/waves to everyone, hope you're all doing great!

Pebbles73 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:21:45

Just popping in to say congrats to Lemon what great news!!

Waves to everyone else, hope you are doing ok Duggs

lemonsherbet Wed 30-Jan-13 17:02:27

Ari I did not take anything. I had stopped aspirin, vitamin d, pred the whole lot when I feel pregnant. Restarted pregacare max (the one with activated folate in it. I am MTHFR homozygous.) when I got a BFP. Then at 12 weeks the obstetric consultant advised 75mg of aspirin every day. That is all I have taken. I do wonder if it was just a case of catching the right egg, but I do feel that the pred affected my ability to get pregnant. It was only a couple of months after stopping it I got a BFP and in the previous 12 months I had had one chemical pregnancy, on pred. Prior to that used to fall pregnant very easily. But it is difficult to know what works and what doesn't.

duggs1976 Thu 31-Jan-13 09:05:20

Wow Lemon! Amazing news and I have to say that I do feel your theory has some truth to it ! I only got a BFP after stopping all treatment. I do think DH has his sperm DNA fragmentation issues which we are tying to work on and I don't feel NK cells are my issue. VERY pleased for you lemon.

We moved house. Sold up and going into rented as just had such a tough 3 yrs ttc etc that needed a new chapter. Hideous moving weekend as I was sick hoping to exchange next few days so hoping it will hurry up and I can breath out again. If this last positive pregnancy had lasted not sure how it would be now as am a heap on exhaustion! Must go back and read old posts so sorry for not name checking shock

Mel3062 Fri 01-Feb-13 17:28:14

Just got my fsh/lh results it says subfertile sad gutted

Arianrhod Fri 01-Feb-13 21:15:19

What were your actual levels Mel? subfertile doesn't mean not fertile, remember, it may just take a little longer to get that good egg. Take heart!

Mel3062 Sat 02-Feb-13 07:16:11

Thanks ari,
When I had them done end of may at my doctors my result was 21.4 which was v high and mr s said premenopausal which scared me to death but he redid it and it had come down luckily.
Serum lh was 9.5.
Had it done this month and says serum follicle hormone is 14.3 so not the 21 as prev but can't recall what mr s said it lowered to.
Serum lh level is 4.8 and oestrodial is 111 again they hadn't done oestrodial before so mr s had to do it and can't recall what that was either. Ill post it to mr s and see what he says. I guess it's bound to take longer as I'm nearing 38 sad

lemonsherbet Sat 02-Feb-13 07:47:37

Mel the fsh and lh can fluctuate month to month, so it works as a rough guide. Did Mr S suggest an AMH to?. Together they give a better indication since the AMH does not fluctuate so much. I think they look at the LH and FSH ratio. If the LH is higher than the FSH it can mean PCOS. Which yours isn't.

Even if it does show a diminished reserve of eggs it does not mean that you can not get pregnant. Remember it just takes one egg and you hear these stories of people in there late 40's who get pregnant because they were going through the menopause so did not think they needed contraception. It just means that you should be trying to get pregnant and if you were doing ivf may give them a better idea of which drugs to use. That is how I understand it anyway.

There are also lots of supplements meant to help lower your FSH but Ari is the supplement expert so it would be worth asking her.

Mel3062 Sat 02-Feb-13 08:25:00

Thanks hun feel abit more positive now! X

brownstag Sat 02-Feb-13 10:14:57

Lemon, that's fantastic! Thanks Ari for the Ovitrelle tip. It's the delivery that bumps it up to £34 with Homecare but I've gone for that.
Mel your oestradiol levels are fine. Mr S likes them under 200. If they were over that they can artificially lower FSH.
You know you always have the option of DHEA to lower FSH. I had no side effects for a good 3 months of it although I am now quite scarred from acne from it after 7 months. I also spent half an hour yesterday plucking hair from my feet and big toes! I'm having my AMH tested again on Monday. Mr NHS consultant said he would like to see it up to 4 (from 2.1 last time) to show a consistent trend, otherwise I should think about stopping it. I'm on 50mg now (75mg before but the acne was getting out of hand).
The only good thing about it is the spots come up and go down very quickly. I like to think my face is reflecting what is going on in my ovaries and the spots are like follicles!

Mel3062 Sat 02-Feb-13 12:20:16

Thanks brownstag does mr s approve of dhea?

brownstag Sun 03-Feb-13 13:58:18

No, he doesn't. But I'm not completely convinced of his reasons, that it causes increased risk of bladder cancer, because I can't find any evidence of that. All the literature I've read suggests it's safe and well-tolerated, certainly in the short term, and that side effects are mild, if they occur at all. Let's face it, the other drugs we're taking can be associated with far more serious side effects than mild androgenic effects and there's been an ongoing debate about superovulation drugs causing ovarian cancer for years. Well, that's my take on it; obviously everyone has to make their own assessment of risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now