IVF and blastocysts - hope needed

(7 Posts)
MrsHY1 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:44:28

Hi Sarlat
I have no idea what a hydrosalpinx is I'm afraid but I'm sorry that's adding another level of confusion/uncertainty to the process for you. I also know it's very easy for me to say 'it's a numbers game' when I've only had the one go - if this next one fails I'll be cursing the world, frantically googling immunes and despairing, all in equal measure!
Will you do the same protocol with your next FET? FET number 1 I downregged for 3 weeks (should have been 2 but started too early!), HRT-ed for 2 weeks more then was on the progesterone until the day I got the dreaded one liner. This time I'm trying something different (not because it's associated with any different success rates - simply because it feels like I'm approaching it from a different angle and its quicker!) of HRT from cd1 until cd10-14, at which point they'll give me cetrotide to hold back natural ovulation, then on to the progesterone.
I asked my consultant what he'd recommend if FET#2 fails - he said then to try a natural FET in case there's something physiological with my lining that they can't pinpoint (all sounded a bit vague to me). If that fails, he would advise writing the batch of embies off as a bad lot chromosomally and doing another fresh cycle. Which I really don't want to think about...yet. x

sarlat Tue 02-Oct-12 19:57:45

Thank you ladies

MrsHY1 - wow 9 blastos. It's funny how from the outside looking in it's easy to see hope. I really do think your time will come soon. But it is worrying isn't it when the Dr's are 'suprised' by the BFN. I think you are right though about it being a numbers game. If I'm honest, there has always been a question mark about my tubes and if I have a hydrosalpinx or not (which could potentially be toxic to embryos). Although there hasn't been consistent evidence of this, nor the associated medical history so we have proceeded as normal with FET's and hoped for the best. But everytime I don't get a BFP I fear that the tubes are an issue and that everything is not as rosy as it seems. But thank you for your reasurance.

Soshul - Congratulations (although belated) on your twins. Wow - is life good? Like you say, all the science becomes a distant memory in time. You are right, it is a matter of time and luck. I will try and be more positive. I am also considering transfering 2 next time if that is an option.

Soshul Tue 02-Oct-12 19:42:17

I had a fresh transfer of two embryos, the best looking ones and it was a BfN.

I then had two frozen embryos transferred on actual cycle, and got pregnant with twins who are now 4.

They weren't blastocysts, they were only day 3 (I think, maybe day 2. It's funny how quickly you forget these things).

Best of luck.

MrsHY1 Tue 02-Oct-12 19:36:42

Hi Sarlat
I can't offer a hope story yet but like you and your DH we created perfect blastos ( 9 in fact!) but all were frozen as I developed ohss and was too sick to have ET. I had my first FET (medicated) in July/Aug where two blastos were replaced (it's only an eSET protocol for fresh cycles at my clinic) and we found out at the end of Aug it was a BFN.
Now, I know it's only we've had one go- but like you I am in my early 30s and due to the quality of the embryos I think the clinic were quite surprised it had failed!
Am about to start the second go.
I think it is a numbers game and nobody knows exactly what makes a good embryo (as evidenced by ppl who fail with their 'best' embie on their fresh cycle then get pg on their 1st/2nd/3rd FET) but I can totally understand the need/hunger for answers or explanations!
Anyway, don't have any useful advice really other than that your numbers must surely come up soon x grin

sarlat Tue 02-Oct-12 17:33:50

Expat - thank you for your reasuring words. I will try and keep the faith. In some ways the success we have had with the embryos is what's making me panic about the 2 x BFN's. But if you think it is a matter of time, then I will try and remember that. But thank you for your kind words.

Anyone else with positive stories out there?

ExpatAl Tue 02-Oct-12 08:31:32

Sarlat, I'm so sorry your last cycle failed. I know how this feels - utterly devastating thanks. It really is a numbers game and I don't think your chances are decreasing. You're so lucky to have blasts in the freezer! You must have super eggs! Plus you're in your early thirties. The fact you have blasts frozen means that you respond well to the meds so it's all good. Have faith - it will happen for you.

sarlat Tue 02-Oct-12 08:12:41

Had failed fresh cycle with 1 blasto ealier this year and just completed FET natural cycle with 1 blasto which resulted in a BFN.

Luckily we have 3 blstocysts left in the freeze. But I am very anxious about any of them working. I am in my early 30's and have been given the impression that one of the two blasto's already transfered should have taken because we got to blasto stage. I know this can be a numbers game but fear has taken hold as everyone expected me to be pregnant by now.

Is there anyone with BFP success stories after numerous blasto transfers? What is the average number of blasto and transfers needed? Or are my chances decreasing?

Any words of advice? Thanks for reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now