TTC or pregnancy on prednisolone or similar part 9

(999 Posts)
sarahs999 Fri 31-Aug-12 06:24:33
BellyD Thu 31-Jan-13 19:34:10

Hi Mollie so sad to hear your news, I hope you are bearing up ok. I know you have had plenty of opinions from lots of the other lovely ladies, but here's my history if that helps. I have had 2 natural and 4 erpcs (all general anaesthetic apart from one under local at Mr S's clinic -never again.) I find the actual op not too bad but the anaesthetic wipes me out for a week and then my body and digestive system takes at least 3 months to recover and I have had weird things happen like an allergic reaction to the sea/seaside! Having had my last erpc in only July, I couldn't face having another one in Oct so waited it out until it happened naturally in early Dec (I also had acupuncture and reflexology to speed things up - and homeopathy which definitely worked in the end -I'll look up the name of the remedy if you like). Although it was painful and I had the threat of still needing an op, it never came to that and I recovered physically much quicker and my period came back on cycle too. I know that is not the case for everyone and people do still have to undergo the op. On a positive note having had 4 erpcs by 4 different docs I still managed to get pregnant, so try not to worry about Ashermans. Whatever you decide I hope it is as painless as possible emotionally and physically and you can start to ttc again before too long.

cartoon brilliant to see a hb, you must be relieved.

Delta not long to go....yay. We definitely need people like you to inspire us and keep the hope alive.

mollieboo Thu 31-Jan-13 20:55:19

Hi thanks bellyd, interesting and helpful stuff. Yes please can you let me know the name of the homeopathic remedy you took? Difficult as I'm scared to start any medical or natural treatments just in case there's a miracle baby hiding away somewhere, although my sac is now 30-33mm and still empty on screen so it would definitely take a miracle but its hard to get through the psychological barrier!

cartoon and rose doesn't sound like an easy time for you both in your first trimesters so I hope you're both feeling ok. Must be wonderful both getting to the heartbeat stage for the first time though.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

x

mercator Fri 01-Feb-13 08:14:58

mollie so sorry to hear your news. I waited a week after my last mc to see if it would happen naturally as I had been bleeding which was the first sign of things going wrong. I wasn't on treatment and my previous 3 mc were all natural. However, this embryo was not coming away and I decided to opt for the ERPC to get it over and done with. I did see a private gynae who performed the op under the NHS and it was successful and I recovered well. It was a little easier to move on and I didn't feel I could cope with it naturally at that time as it was my 3rd in the space of a year. I then managed to conceive on the treatment 3 months later. Fwiw they also scanned me prior to the op.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you manage to get closure to this episode soon. Thinking of you.

mollieboo Fri 01-Feb-13 11:21:32

Thank you merc. I can't believe how many of you have gone through missed mcs and blighted ovums. I'm starting to want an erpc too now as the waiting around is so hard. Was your next pregnancy on treatment successful merc?

BellyD Fri 01-Feb-13 11:58:21

Hi mollie the name of the remedy the homeopath gave me to kick start things was wytch elm, but I would make sure that you are given it by a homeopath rather than source it through Dr Google if that's what you decide. Best of luck xx

rose sorry I didn't acknowledge your hb in my post yesterday. Whispered 'yay'.

mollieboo Fri 01-Feb-13 12:23:09

Thank you belly, yes I'll def go through a homeopath if I try it. Have seen remedies on net but would be too worried to do anything without guidance.

Buster76 Fri 01-Feb-13 13:49:50

Afternoon ladies!
Sorry to hear your news mollie - I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel better. It is really shit, I had 4 miscarriages - that was bad enough, but like some of the others said they had mc on the treatment but then went on to be successful so hang on in there!
Did someone ask about needing to take 2 cyclogest? I had a small bleed early on so they advised me to stop aspirin and up my cyclogest. I put 1 up each entrance/exit - nice!! I went back to 1 when all was ok on scan. In the first weeks I used the visitors entrance but had to use the tradesmans later due to cervical erosion.
All good here at the moment. 28 weeks this week and still cant quite believe it shock
Had a bit of a worry a couple of weeks ago, femur length was measuring below 5th centile confused Which can be a marker for downs and dwarfism. Anyway got referred to fetal medicine, got scanned on Wed by consultant. He was happy, baby is going to be small but looks perfect smile Me and my DH are smaller than average so I guess its all relative.
Looking forward to hearing about the new arrivals. sarah - I saw you are having a section, why is that? Hope you dont mind me asking!
cartoon and rose yeeeeee, keep it up wink

xxxx

roseandroli Fri 01-Feb-13 16:28:23

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your hellos and yays and good wishes!
I am having another scan tomorrow to see whether my little area of bleeding has grown or been re-absorbed. I have been taking 2 cyclogest (both up visitors as tradesman gave me piles--sorry TMI!). I usually take one before going to bed, and another when I inevitably have to get up to pee a few hours later. Also stopped taking aspirin thanks to cartoon who suggested I ask Louise.

My husband says I should start a chapter of "scanaholics anonymous". Anyone wanna sign up?

Mollie how are you today? I am thinking of you.

Buster I hope you will keep posting as it's so encouraging to hear stories of people who are further along. So glad to hear all your scans are okay after the measurement scare. By the way, did your early bleeding last very long? Has it continued?

mercator Fri 01-Feb-13 20:54:07

mollie in answeer to your question I am sitting here with a 4 month old baby in her cot, so yes!! I do wonder if the ERPC helped. CAn't really say but I was very fortunate and conceived the first round after waiting 2 cycles on Mr S's treatment plan for v high NK's. So for me it was a miracle!! I do hope you get through this terrible time and make the right decision for you!! Thinking of you.. I so wish this didn't happen to so many of us. Let us know what you decide and how you are!

Rose just read your post and hopemyou're ok?! Good luck with the scan.

Buster - great to hear your news.

Kittens - hope you're doing well and feeling nicely content!!

mollieboo Sat 02-Feb-13 13:55:43

merc yes of course I remember you announcing the birth now, wonderful! Can only hope its my turn soon after 7 mcs and losing my baby boy. V weird feeling pregnant and healthy knowing I have to stop it all next week. Devastating but still lots of hope for next time.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend x

Buster76 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:28:48

Hi rose, no bleeding didnt last long. Mr S thought it may have been from a second sac that didnt form into anything?
Had a little bleeding later on but I think that was from using the cyclogest so used the tradesmans entrance instead. Which I have later found out probably came from some cervical erosion - which apparently is quite common in pregnancy.
Hope the scan went well today.

xxx

mercator Sat 02-Feb-13 21:10:10

mollie. I am so sorry you're going through this after all you have been through. I hope I didn't /upset you by mentioning my lo. I know how hard it is when people do. I so hope you get through this difficult time and are able to go on to have a successful pregnancy. My fingers are firmly crossed for you. X

mollieboo Sun 03-Feb-13 00:48:11

Hi merc, no you didn't upset me, sorry if that's how it came across. I am so happy for everyone on this thread who get their babies, its so tough for us all, we all deserve it. Also its such a positive thing to know the treatment works as it gives me so much more hope. I don't know where I would be without this thread, I would be completely despondent.

rose I hope your scan went ok.

sarahs999 Sun 03-Feb-13 04:44:22

Hello all and hugs to those having a hard time - mollie, really feel for you.

Buster, I'm having a section because of lots of things. I need to be delivered two weeks early because I am high risk for pre eclampsia as I had it early and severe with ds1 . I had an emergency section with him. I also have to take a heAvy dose of clexane and aspirin for blood clotting disorders and they need to time the birth exactly in order to work out when I should stop the drugs (risk of bleeding too much of go into spontaneous labour). Also, tbh, even if my consultant hadnt insisted on c sec I would have wanted it just to avoid all the possible variables going wrong at the end, think its quite a common thought with us pred ladies. I'm not looking forward to recovery and trying to look after small baby with a wound healing but it will pass. And we will finally have our second child after 5 years of trying and as many mcs, all thanks to mr s.

Having said all that I feel so well with 2.5 weeks to go (apart from the insomnia) that I keep having pangs for one of those natural active births like you see on OBEM!

13Iggis Sun 03-Feb-13 10:25:47

Very sorry to hear what's happening with you Mollieboo. I've typed "it's just not fair" so often on this thread, but it is still true sad

rose how was ur scan?
hope ur doing ok mollie

roseandroli Sun 03-Feb-13 11:59:10

Hi everyone, thanks for asking about my scan. I had it yesterday and all is well with the growing bean. Unfortunately the blood sack that caused my crazy bleed has yet to resolve itself (they could see it on the scan, and it was bigger than last week, though I haven't had any further bleeding), so I'm still on bed rest. I'm with my parents in Asia, haven't seen DH for weeks, and I'm eager to go home (haven't seen Dr. Shehata or had a single antenatal appointment since positive pg test!). But I'm concerned about flying such a long way under these circumstances. I'm going to wait another week, see how things progress, and take it from there.

I am grateful to have gotten this far. But also a little frustrated at having yet another thing to worry about...

Big wave hello to everyone.

well I guess that's good news then rose, but how annoying you have to stay put. how many weeks are you now?

GreenOlives Tue 05-Feb-13 07:49:17

Hi everyone!
Just popping in to say I finally have a plan in place for birth! DS was a 10lber and birth was by forceps complicated by shoulder dystocia! Had a growth scan yesterday which estimated baby to be 7lb 10oz now (37+1) so it looks like another big one! Plan is for stretch and sweeps every 3 days starting at 39 weeks and if I don't start labouring spontaneous from those I have an ELCS booked for 4th March (41+1) So I am still hoping for a natural delivery but I wanted to avoid induction at all costs so im very happy with this plan! grin
Hope everyone is ok, special thoughts for mollie at this time.

Havingkittens Tue 05-Feb-13 21:21:36

Sorry to hear you're stuck in Asia rose, I can imagine you're chomping at the bit to get home and by with your DH at this stressful time. Great to hear that your scan went well though.

Wow, Olives, that sounds daunting. Glad to hear you're happy with the plan though. I know what you mean about wanting to avoid induction though. I'm hoping mine won't come to that.

I had my 31 week midwife appt today. She measured me and thought I seemed smaller than I should so I had to go to the hospital for a scan. All seems to be more or less on track. Abdominal measurments on the small side but sonographer was not too concerned, just said he wanted to keep an eye that it was moving in the same curve when I have my next scan at 34 weeks. Baby is currently breech though so I'm desperately hoping it turns in the next few weeks. Birth ball is waiting for us to find a pump in the morning! The head down pelvis up type of exercises are going to be quite a challenge with my rampant reflux though!

Lawlee Wed 06-Feb-13 19:01:20

Evening ladies, how are we all today? Exciting to hear about all the birth plans and fingers crossed olives and sarahs and anyone else nearing the big day, that its all smooth sailing and you have happy healthy little ones in your arms soon! Gl with the ball kittens, I have a friend who has used one in both her pregnancies and swears by them.

Sorry to hear you are stuck in Asia Rose and hope you are being looked after, it sounds like they are taking good care of you at least?

mollie how are you doing today? Been thinking of you and hoping you are alright.

Day 3 of taking the pred for me, and I might be imagining it but I think it's actually giving me heartburn whenever my stomach is even slightly empty. Anyone else get that? Am hitting the rennies but not sure it's helping much. The only other alternative seems to be to constantly eat and it's hard enough to resist that temptation as it is! smile

Ugh, the 2ww, how it drags! Anyone else out there also doing "the wait"? Any suggested distractions? Work is really busy so that's one thing at least although its pretty stressful too so not sure it's that much of a help! Actually that reminds me of a question - I was told to take 25mg pred from ov for 10 days and then either come off it or if I get a positive go up to 40mg, but is 10 days enough to get a bfp? Won't I have a gap if it says negative before turning positive? Maybe I should call the clinic and ask? How did you ladies handle it? Thanks!
Big waves to everyone, any scans or testing coming up soon? Xx

hey lawlee I wondered that but made sure I did a test starting from the day Mr s told me too. it was negative. 2 days later it was positive so I think sometimes even though a first response says it can detect a pregnancy that early it can't always. so I had a two day gap in my steroids. I was really worried but Louise told me not to worry as it would still be in my system. I think ive also got to factor in how long ur cycle is and its hard to know for sure exactly when you ovulated.

Lawlee Wed 06-Feb-13 20:04:14

Thanks Cartoon that makes me feel a lot better! I will just test from then in that case and keep my fingers crossed. How are you getting on now? Did you have another scan planned? X

good thank you. I've got another scan next week. I've been resting at home like rose because of my spotting. had a bit if red blood on Friday but nothing since so hopefully that's sorted its self out now. I feel sickly most days from about 4pm. which is annoying but reassuring! x

Lawlee Wed 06-Feb-13 20:29:34

Ooh good news that its stopped and all seems to be going well. The spotting must have been such a worry but a relief when it stopped! Yes i'm sure the sickly thing must be a nice reassurance, even if its a bit sucky to go through. Am guessing you've tried all the reccommended ginger drinks and crackers etc for helping manage it? My sister swore by ginger but I just can't stand the stuff lol. Will be thinking of you for your scan next week anyway, keep us posted? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now