Agnus castus success stories please!

(21 Posts)
Crownjewels Sat 25-Jun-11 18:38:34

Hubby 43, moi 40. No dc yet. Been as busy as rabbits ttc for past 5 years- no luck yet. Barrage of tests conducted. Unexplained infertility is the conclusion. Not too keen on IVF just yet. Cycle textbook 28 days. Past two cycles 30 days- wonder why? Is that sign of impending menopause? Considering taking agnus castus. But only if enough evidence that it produces the baby at the end! Already taking pregnacare conception, folic acid and D3. All advice very welcome.
TIA x

OracleInaCoracle Sat 25-Jun-11 18:43:25

Don't take AC without consulting a herbalist, it is a powerful drug. It lengthens your lp so tbh I doubt it will work for you.

ASByatt Sat 25-Jun-11 18:44:42

I don't think you can buy AC at the moment anyway?
Hasn't it been withdrawn due to the need to be registered under new European something or other rules?

Crownjewels Sat 25-Jun-11 18:52:06

Didn't know that! Thought it was available in holland and barrett. Failing that, if there is positive evidence, could always order on t'internet?!

OracleInaCoracle Sat 25-Jun-11 18:55:19

please dont. from what you say it will just mess around with your cycle. ordering drugs off the internet is always a bad idea anyway.

fwiw, in your position i would be considering IVF as the next stage.

ASByatt Sat 25-Jun-11 18:58:17

Do check that I've not misunderstood the new rules - but I do know that I used to buy AC tincture and can't get it at the moment - in the shops or online. Mind you, I take it to regulate my cycle and to help with horrendous periods - not heard of it to help with conception???

Good luck with everything though, I've been there too.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 25-Jun-11 18:59:47

You can buy AC at Holland & Barratt but iirc you can't take it when pregnant so I wouldn't have thought you should take it when trying to conceive either.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 25-Jun-11 19:01:32

ASB, it doesnt help with conception, only regulates cycles and lengthens leutal phase. far too many people take it thinking that it will get them up the pole, it wont. it only helps if you have a short LP, otherwise it adds an unnecessary ingredient and can fuck things up pretty badly!

ASByatt Sat 25-Jun-11 19:06:36

Ah I see, thanks.

I still don't understand why my local helath shop says they can't stock it if H and B have it though!?!

ciwi Sat 25-Jun-11 19:47:32

Hi, My sister took it after 8 months of trying and fell pg first month using it. she only took it up until ov and then stopped so she thinks it worked for her x

OracleInaCoracle Sat 25-Jun-11 19:50:48

but ciwi, what were your sisters cycles like prior to taking it? in the op's position (regular cycles, just noty getting pg) the issue isnt likely to be with her leutal phase and is more likely due to the quality of the eggs. mostr women fall pg naturally within a year. therefore, it is unlikely that the AC helped your sister get pg.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 25-Jun-11 19:52:55

sorry if I sound snippy, I just get frustrated by people saying "try AC" when there has been no diagnosis of irregular or short LP. we wouldnt tell someone to buy clomid or IVF drugs over the internet, and we underestimate the havoc that taking the wrong meds can cause.

ciwi Sat 25-Jun-11 19:57:53

lissie Thanks for pointing that out, she did have irregular cycles. Just to add though I didn't say try AC, the title was asking for AC success stories and I just mentioned my sister. I don't know enough about it to recommend it, just know that she took it and got pg. She did stop taking it after ov so she didnt take it when pg. Also it's not clomid its a herbal remedy and you can get it in holland and barrett. I personally wouldn't buy any drug herbal or not over the internet.

Crownjewels Sat 25-Jun-11 19:59:14

I've taken all your advice on board ladies. If I wanted to go ahead and blindly take the AC then I would not have posted here, but just gone ahead and self medicated. However, I hear you lissielou, and promise to steer clear, in view of your knowledge. Ciwi - I am very pleased to hear of your sisters happy story. :-)x

OracleInaCoracle Sat 25-Jun-11 20:02:02

but it is still a powerful herb and shouldnt be taken without a proper consultation. I took it myself and it messed up my cycle terribly, it took nearly a year to settle down again, my cons told me off for taking it and so did the herbalist. I wasnt talking about anyone on this thread, but I have seen the "try AC" tack bandied about too often on here. smile

OracleInaCoracle Sat 25-Jun-11 20:03:11

crownjewels, have they trie dthe AMH test?

RufousBartleby Sat 25-Jun-11 20:06:55

OP, I'm not sure whether Agnus Castus would be helpful to you in your situation, but you did ask for success stories...

...I had extremely long and irregular cycles, having virtually non-existant periods every two or so months, had some tests told by dr probably not ovulating. I self medicated Agnus Castus for about four months, stopped and got pregnant about two months later. I honestly can't be sure it was the AC, but I can't completely dismiss it either. I think in my case I was just so desperate to be doing something to help me conceive.

I also ate really healthily, actually gained some weight, took zinc and vitamin C and a vitamin B complex.

Crownjewels Sat 25-Jun-11 23:19:55

Lissielou: my AMH level result was 29.
Rufus: congratulations on your pregnancy. I think that Lissie may be right: it may have been helpful for you as your cycles were all over the place. Mine are regular as clockwork - as is my ovulation: bang on day 15. Just hope it happens soon for us as time is running out fast. Oh well...

Crownjewels Sat 25-Jun-11 23:22:04

Oh and BMI is 24.5. No health problems. Both dh and I as fit as a pair of fiddles! This BFP is proving to be extremely elusive.

Crownjewels Sun 26-Jun-11 16:18:33

Just out of interest (and sheer desperation)- what could I do/ take to increase my chances of conceiving now? 

Raha130 Mon 11-May-15 18:08:03

After 4 yrs of TTC for baby Nr. 2, I finally got my BFP yesterday.
I was diagnosed with endometriosis & uterine fibroids & PCOS 2 years ago and underwent surgery to remove the fobroids right away. Unfortunately, they came back again this year.
Although my OPK's did indicate ovulation on each cycle, I wasnt able to conceive. Infact its just 2 weeks ago when we started to consider IVF. The clinic told us that, the operation report we received 2 yrs ago indicated my fellopian tubes may be blocked. Nevertheless, we decided to ttc one more cyle before considering IVF.
So what did I do different this time?

-Agnus Castus 1000mg (1 tablet a day all thru the cycles) for 2 months
-Clavella 2 Sachets a day (supposed to improve egg quality) for 2 months
-Took Pre-conception multivitamins daily for 24 months
-Took folic acid tablets for 2 months
-Stopped taking Aspirin 100mg
-Used pre-seed
-Bedded 2 days before ovulation and day of ovulation
-DH abstained 4 days prior to 1st bedding

Im so glad I took Agnus Castus because it seemed to regulate my hormones. Facial hair growth stopped also as a result. Clavella made me ovulate from the right ovary in years!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now