The Short Luteal Phase Gang

(297 Posts)
onedaybaby Thu 24-Mar-11 18:20:34

Hi,

I've noticed that the question about a short LP comes up quite a lot, and I would love it if we had our own thread to discuss where methods we are doing to try to increase it, lengths and what the dr thinks!

My LP is 8 days with a 31 day cycle.

I am currently taking Agnus Castus and have had accupuncture for 2 months. I also use the CBFM.

This will be my 9th month TTC. I have had the 21 day blood test (which has to be done on 28), the day 3 blood test and an ultrascan. All tests are normal.

Midnightfox Mon 21-Oct-13 18:42:17

Hello all

Brand new on here and looking for some advice...

Been ttc this year with no luck yet. I'm 33. Been buying a house too so not every month have we done the deed so am trying to keep calm and happy and things will happen.

Been tracking my cycles and luteal phases and just wondered if the latter are a bit short and worth me seeing my gp about?

Not tracked every month but the ones I have, so far here are my luteal phase lengths: 12, 12, 12, 13, 11, 10, 11

What do you think? Sorry if this comes up so often it's boring, but as I say I'm new. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks lovely people

Sarah x

blamber Tue 08-Oct-13 08:41:11

I don't know anything about the tests you've had, but can give some advice about the thyroid.

Your temps arent too low, but Low body temp doesn't have to be an indication of hypothyroidism anyway. But since you have problems with your cycle, it'll be good to test. Usually they only test TSH, but if you can get your t4 tested as well, this will give a more complete picture.

Do your blood test in the morning, this will give a more accurate TSH. Ideally it should be under 2, or even better under 1. Request the test result afterwards though, because the range they usually use is quite high.. So you might be higher than 2, but classed as normal. If that's the case, your GP might not want to prescribe any levothyroxine, but they might retest later to make sure it isn't getting worse.

Sparkle9 Mon 07-Oct-13 23:38:21

GP appointment is tomorrow. Does anyone have any minute advice? I'm intending to ask for thyroid testing. Anything else I could try?

Sparkle9 Sat 05-Oct-13 12:22:40

Hello everyone. I've been posting on MN for a while about TTC. I came off the pill in Feb and have been tracking using a mix of OPKs and temperatures. These indicated a consistently short LP. In August I had blood tests and in early September I had an ultrasound - this rules out PCOS.

I just asked for my blood test results.

I have my blood test results from the GP now. Can anyone shed any additional light on these:

CD16 - serum progesterone 1.600nmol/L. GP notes say still low try 7 days before next period.

CD23 - 4.900nmol/L. GP notes say OV not happening. Referred for ultrasound.

CD23 and 24 - positive OPKs

CD30 - 47.300nmol/L. GP notes say OV happened.

CD30 and 31 - lots of spotting or light AF
Day later - medium flow AF. Lasted a full 5 days with some heavy days in there followed by at least 2 days of spotting.

Explanatory notes on blood results:

Follicular phase 0.5-4.5
Luteal phase 10.6-89.1
Menopause <2.3
Ovulation is confirmed if levels are above 30
Male 0.9-3.9

My temperatures are usually around 36.2 (but can range from 35.6 to 36.4) before ovulation and then around 36.4-36.5 after ovulation.

I think this suggests a possibly underactive thyroid.

A doctor at my surgery was very dismissive of my short luteal phase so I'm having another appointment with another GP next week. I'm intending to ask for thyroid related blood tests.

I've also contacted a private fertility clinic who have said they could give my progesterone to support my luteal phase and (hopefully) early pregnancy. I will explore this further if I don't get anywhere with my GP.

I would appreciate any advice.

RubySlippers77 Mon 30-Sep-13 14:59:35

Hi all, just looking for some general advice on the SLP issue as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the NHS!! My cycles are usually 25 to 28 days, this time as fallen on 25 days but is spotting only so far, very frustrating and tiring - tomorrow would have been CD28 so it's already been 3 days of spotting. I think I may have a SLP as the CBFM showed a peak on day 16 and it sounds like spotting may be a symptom of low progesterone? Any advice much appreciated as I'm currently TTC#1 and getting very down about it; we've only been trying for about 6 months so far but I was very hopeful indeed this month sad

Totesamazeballs Wed 28-Aug-13 11:34:38

Good luck. If you have used OPKs you will have a stronger case than just temping as docs tend to assume a high degree of in accuracy in the latter.

OgdenNashWroteMe Wed 28-Aug-13 10:39:21

I definitely spot, and then flood. I used OPKs this month, but not often enough I don't think. I got 2 possible positives, one definite on the day I had my first temp dip and then an equal colour one the following day. I think this is why FF puts ovulation later.

I will go and see my GP after this AF [brave]

Totesamazeballs Tue 27-Aug-13 13:51:59

Hi Ogden,I think spotting is a sign of low progesterone but I may be wrong? I have just heard about Angus castus from peeps on here. I think, along with the other vits, it works for some and not for others. B12 did nothing for me but that's because it was a progesterone issue.

Have you used OPKs? That might be helpful to use alongside your temperature tracking. I never got a pos ovulation with them though so they don't work for everyone.

I started progesterone supplementation in July and got pregnant. I am about 8 weeks along so it did the trick. I had to go privately though.

Vjones - I think you need to give your body a while to settle after the pill. A month isn't long.

VJONES1985 Tue 27-Aug-13 09:54:47

Hi all, thought I'd pop in for some advice! I came off the pill a month ago, ov on cd18/19 and got my period this morning on cd26, so my lp was only 7 days.

How long should lp be? Would you recommend I take b6 or is it normal for the lp to take a while to settle after being on the pill? Thanks.

OgdenNashWroteMe Mon 26-Aug-13 20:44:24

Thanks Toes, I am new to charting so I may well have my LP wrong. I have had either a fallback rise or a random spike in temp two or three days before my temperature shifts up until AF.

Because I had it for two months, I was moving my ovulation back (wishful thinking probably), FF still has it on the day before the second rise. If this is correct then my LP has been 5 or 7 days.

Also I am not confident yet in deciding between spotting and flow, both of these issues may account for that?

I guess I will get better at it as I continue, but I find it hard to read my signs, this is why I have been waiting for it to happen by 'accident'. I am terrible at telling what my cervix and CF feels like, it seems to change morning to evening too.

I have bought some zinc, B6, vitamin c and royal jelly today. Does anyone here take Q10? Or Pregnacare Conception?

Is Angus Castus the one you have to be careful taking? I thought I had read conflicting reports on that.

I daren't tell DHwhat I've spent- he doesn't believe one bit in supplements and I will be positively rattling!

Has the progesterone lengthened your LP Totes?

Totesamazeballs Mon 26-Aug-13 15:55:12

It depends on the GP. I went to mine because I thought my LP was 8 days and we had been trying for 4/5 months for a second and I just said I felt something wasn't right. Fortunately they were happy to oblige and I found out I had low progesterone. They didn't understand what I was saying about a short LP and said I wasn't ovulating (I was - just late) so...

I then had to go privately to get progesterone as ( and this is where it kicks in) they wouldn't refer me until we had been trying for more time, and it did the trick.

You say your LP varies. I thought LPs were only meant to vary by two days max and they were 'fixed' pretty much. Unless the thyroxine has something to do with it.

I can see what you mean getting GP to co-operate. In terms of trying without GP, people say Angus castus can also help to lengthen the LP, although I think all the evidence is anecdotal. I think you can get it from Boots.

Let me know how you get on!

OgdenNashWroteMe Sun 25-Aug-13 22:06:43

Is my GP likely to give me blood tests after such a short time charting?

After my op we thought we were doin the right thing leaving it to chance and not 'forcing' it. Now I wish I had started charting straight away.

OgdenNashWroteMe Sun 25-Aug-13 22:02:29

Hi Totes, no, I haven't been to the doctor yet. I know it's silly but I will feel embarrassed saying I want another baby. I think it's partly because the odds aren't that great with my age and lack of fallopian tube...but also because I feel like she may think I am selfish wanting another child (I have three, we just always imagined ourselves with four and then I had two miscarriages after DC3.)
I chickened out for a while after each miscarriage, and then had all the gynae trouble. I feel like she will look at me and be thinking I should be happy with what I have and take the hint from my own body that no 4 isn't going to happen.
I just don't feel ready to give up yet.

Sorry for the rant, I can just feel AF waiting in the wings again (spotting and back pain, CD19) and we have tried so hard this month. Mr Nash is looking forward to the break!

Totesamazeballs Sun 25-Aug-13 16:50:28

Hi Ogden, have you had any blood tests to see what your hormone levels are doing?

OgdenNashWroteMe Sun 25-Aug-13 12:15:08

Hello, I'd like to join you all.

It's great to find you, I didn't know anything about LPD, this thread has been really helpful.

I am 42 and have been actively trying to ttc for 4 months, although we haven't used contraception for 2 years.

My cycle is very short, 19 to 24 days. I spot for a couple of days before period, which then lasts 3 or 4 days with a little spotting afterwards too.

Two years ago I had pains which were put down to ovarian cysts for a few months, but turned out to be cysts on my fallopian tube. I ended up with an emergency laparotomy to remove it after it twisted. So now I only have one. I'm also hypothyroid and have been taking thyroxine for 8 years. Last test 3 months ago showed I was very slightly overcompensated but GP prefers to keep me this way as I get symptoms on any less.

My charts are showing that I ovulate between day 10 and 14, my luteal phase has been as short as 5 days, one cycle it was 10 days.

I also seem to have a 'fallback rise' in my bbt, not sure if this is relevant.

I already have dc, no problems conceiving before, but I was 35...

Now I've read here, I'll start taking vitamin b6 & c. Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

Totesamazeballs Wed 21-Aug-13 18:05:06

Sorry Proactive and thank you for your words of encouragement. I wish you luck x

GettingProactive Fri 09-Aug-13 09:35:18

Hi all,

Just wanted to say goodbye and good luck. My IVF journey ended after egg retrieval (had two eggs, but neither fertilised) so while I will keep trying naturally, the chances for me now are close to zero given my age and poor response to the IVF. Hope you all get your BFPs and have happy, healthy lives. smile

GettingProactive Sun 04-Aug-13 14:17:52

Congratulations Christelle - really great to hear a short LP success story. Totes - it sounds like you are making progress too, so I really hope you get your BFP. Thanks also for the words of encouragement, they really moved me. Unfortunately, I feel neither brave nor upbeat at the moment, but at least I am proud of the fact that I did my own research and pushed to get the right consultant and treatment. Sometimes I felt like I was obsessing and causing myself stress by doing so much googling, but I don't regret it because the knowledge I gained allowed me to finally get some answers. So anyone out there who feels guilty for spending so much time on this, please don't. It's complicated stuff and often, the professionals just don't have the time or perhaps inclination to look into everything in as much detail as is needed.

Christelle2207 Sat 03-Aug-13 11:19:08

Hi, pretty sure I posted an update upthread but wanted to let you know I eventually got pg after suffering a 8/9 day lp, was TTC for well over one year. First of all no gp or even the fertility consultant took it seriously. I finally got pg in November - due any day!! - and three things were significant that month
1. In september got diagnosed with underactive thyroid, had very mild symptoms and insisted on getting blood tested. Started thyroxin straight away and got pg a few weeks later by which time my tsh levels were back within normal range. Some docs will disagree but from the reading I've done I'm convinced being under active messed with my cycles. So I recommend getting tested to rule this out. Thyroxin is no bother to take and I now get free prescriptions.
2. I got pg the first month I took clomid, previously ovulated about day 18 but that month did on day 12 which suggests I was on track to have a more decent lp, before I conceived!
3. Had reflexology a couple of days before ovulating that month.
Months of b6 and ac did nothing for me though worth a try, as are soy isoflavones (on the shelf in larger branches of tesco)- best of luck.

Totesamazeballs Fri 02-Aug-13 19:03:57

Hi,
GettingProactive - I am really sorry to hear your news. I know all seems lost but I have known people who have conceived against all the odds so I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. You certainly come across as brave -I hope you can remain upbeat too. And I don't mean that to sound patronising at all. It's hard to convey a sincere tone online.

Downstairs -I have the same problem as you. I was ok post DS, but since trying for #2, I realised my LP had gone down to 7/8 days so I went to the doctor. Mixed response, but I managed to persuade them to give me the 5 and 21 day hormone tests (because the doctor I initially saw was young and new and keen to please...)

My 21 day hormone test showed very low progesterone, annovulatory in fact. They suggested I repeated the test because everyone has a few months when they don't ovulate, but sure enough the test came back the same. I had issues about when to go for the 21 day test because according to my temps, I ovulate on day 18 and then get my period day 25, and the whole point of the 21 day test is that it is done 7 days before the start of your period (7 days after ovulation) but for me that is the day of or after ovulation. I thought I was ovulating but just had low progesterone so was shedding my lining too early.

Anyway, after trying to explain that the doctor I came up against a brick wall. They asked me to do OPKs for a few months to see if I was ovulating and I never got a positive so I decided to go privately.

They did follicle tracking and I did ovulate, and funnily enough, it was on day 14 that month but sure enough, my period arrived 7 days later. So consultant prescribed me cyclogest which is basically progesterone. If you have a short LP due to low progesterone, this will sort it out!

GettingProactive Fri 02-Aug-13 11:46:46

Hi Downstairs. I think it depends on your age. I was 40 so I went to the doctor straight away, knowing I didn't have any time to waste. You will probably find that they don't do anything, as a lot of people on this forum will tell you, but at least it's noted in your records as a problem from the start. If age is on your side, maybe wait a couple of months and see what happens. Have your periods only come back quite recently or are you breast feeding? If so, it takes a while for things to settle down.

IVF news from me is that I only had 3 ripe follicles on the stimulating drugs, which is the minimum needed to continue to egg retrieval but not very hopeful of getting to the stage of implanting and even less so of a successful pregnancy. Confirms that age was my main problem all along, so reckon it's game over for me now sad

DownstairsMixUp Mon 29-Jul-13 15:09:42

Hello all smile

Well basically I am relatively new to all of this, but I've noticed in two cycles I seem to have what is called a short luteal phase. I've never noticed before (as I didn't try to conceive with my first, it wasn't planned) but now I am trying, since googling it, it seems so far i have this.

For example this cycle I ovulated clearly strong positives on the 22nd of July and 23rd. Yesterday I had small pink amounts of discharge and brown on a tissue when wiping in the morning, at first I was quite positive about this and thought maybe it was an IB but today have come on and obviously quite clearly it wasn't, so for the second time I've worked out that my LP is around 7 - 8 days long. :/

As it's only been two cycles, what do you ladies reccommend? I'm not sure whether to wait it out and see if it happens more, or go straight to the doctors?

Thank you for any helpful replies smile

Springbells Thu 27-Jun-13 13:52:33

Hello totes and getting, good to see you're making progess. I got bolshy recently, and demanded (nicely!) blood tests to see whats going on. Unsuprisingly first test came back annovulatory - and just like goosey i 'suggested' grin that the should be done later, as fairly sure i do ovulate, just v late. Still waiting for those results and watching this space on lp. I binned b6 and agnus this month to give get a true bloods picutre, so waiting to see what happens. 9dpo here, which is unheard of, so if i can make it to 10dpo I'll be happier. Hope it all goes well with the ivf, getting, and with tracking, totes.

Good to hear the updates as it def gives hope.

GettingProactive Thu 27-Jun-13 09:57:27

Thanks Totes - it's so nice to have some support from the virtual world! How did the tracking go? I never used to get a surge with the OPKs the first few months of TTC, but now I get surges for up to 3-4 days in a row, which is probably worse (like high FSH, high LH levels can be a sign of ovarian decline). I would recommend doing two tests a day, as you can miss it if testing only every 24 hrs. There are very cheap multipacks of OPK sticks on Amazon.

Totesamazeballs Thu 13-Jun-13 18:56:08

Thanks for the update! That is great news. I know they say they are insignificant but it all counts as little steps to getting things in better shape down there. I have my tracking next week. Tried OPKs this month and never saw an LH surge so that ties in with the theory that I am not ovulating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now