Brown blood for a week instead of normal period - what's going on?

(20 Posts)
ChateauMargot Wed 12-Jan-11 14:55:44

Hi gang,

I've had irregular cycles ever since coming off the pill last summer, and am booked in for ultrasound/blood tests later in the month to see what's going on.

My question is this: on day 32 of my most recent cycle, I started noticing quite a lot of brown blood. It's lasted about a week now, and could well be my period - only it's nothing like what I usually get (very red, occasionally heavy, usually lasts about 6 days). Does anyone have any experience of this? I gather that brown blood tends to be 'old' blood - so is this preparation for my period, or could it have been implantation/miscarriage? (We had sex around the time that I noticed EWCM, but I came down with flu the next day and was unwell for a good week over NYE, so think it's phenomenally unlikely that I could be pregnant - much as I'd like to be!)

BabyBorn Wed 12-Jan-11 15:40:08

I had what you have just described and i had an ectopic pregnancy (reply isnt to scare the crap out of you, just being honest!) I had a negative test when AF didnt rear its head and showed negative until it was too late. Im not sure about other reasons you may have started having this brown blood, others will more than likely beable to help you out here. I would suggest you see your GP as soon as possible, and try not to worry.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 12-Jan-11 15:43:05

right, first thing you need to do is a HPT, if you have irregular cycles then it could just be that your flu has messed you up. it may be implantation/false period (v common) or it could be an EP.

ChateauMargot Wed 12-Jan-11 16:13:34

Thanks, you two. I've just done a test and as I suspected it was negative. Probably the flu messing me up, then..?

PrincessScrumpy Wed 12-Jan-11 16:17:04

I have flu at the moment (this is my first day back on a computer for a week). My period was due Saturday - ttc #2 at the moment. I had brown discharge starting yesterday so guessing I'm not pregnant. Odd through as I usually get that at the end if at all. Must be a flu thing.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 12-Jan-11 16:20:15

ok, if no period in a couple of days retest. if stil BFN, then see your gp about a blood test.

Im sure its nothing and just your body have a bit of a wobble after being ill, but always best to be on the safe side.

BUT if you get one sided pain, dizziness and/or shoulder tip pain that gets worse when you lie down call NHS direct.

ChateauMargot Wed 12-Jan-11 16:31:37

Thanks, lissielou. I've not had any other symptoms, other than just feeling a bit blah and exhausted post-flu (weather's not helping!) but am glad I've already got a blood test/scan booked for the end of the month, just in case...

BabyBorn Wed 12-Jan-11 17:35:23

With my ectopic pregnancy i didnt have any of the one sided pain, dizzyness or shoulder pain, although i did have shooting pains up my back passage every so often, but even more so during intercourse. I felt like crap too. Mine was caught at 7 weeks pregnant, and wasnt showing up as BFP until the day i went into surgerye because of servere pains and cramping in my pelvic area. I tested every day upto that day with a negative test.I also had brown tar like discharge/blood for around a week before ectopic was discovered, and believed it was just my period, although i knew that definatley wasnt normal for me to have. Please take your symptoms seriously as it will unsure your not in danger of this happening to you.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 12-Jan-11 17:41:23

see, when i had my ep i, like you, didnt get the one sided pain etc until I was in hospital being rushed to theatre. what im saying is that old blood is rarely an ep, more often than not it is just your body playing silly buggers. but there are things to keep an eye open for, and this is a biggy. also backache. I had the most horrendous backache and vomitting. I knew i was pg (got a bfp at 14dpo, had "period" gp said i was mcing, wasnt sure so retested a week later and BBFP, even then my ep wasnt picked up until it was nearly too late)

im just saying, on the whole its unlikely to be an ep, but there are things to watch out for.

MondaysChild78 Wed 12-Jan-11 19:22:21

Hi there, I think it's a flu thing too. My cycle is pretty regular and usually days 1 and 2 are fairly heavy red blood, but I had flu at Christmas and last period was a few days of slight brown blood and then only a week later did it seem to properly start as a 'normal' period. I had no idea what was going on either but have attributed it to the flu messing with my body. Hope that helps.

BroodyRhi Wed 12-Jan-11 20:21:07

I have had exactly the same thing, we weren't trying this month so highly unlikely to be anything else. Brown blood, heavy on day one now just when I wipe. Had flu after Christmas, still coughing now. Its day three of period. Hope this reassures.

kateepie2 Wed 12-Jan-11 21:19:10

I think flu messed me up last month too let us know if anything develops though, keep an eye on things and if you feel bad see the doc!

PrincessScrumpy Thu 13-Jan-11 12:59:49

okay, re-checked dates and I was due Tuesday. Test says I'm pg so brown blood for me is apparently implantation bleeding. Don't remember that with dd1 - slightly worried what else I've forgotten!

OracleInaCoracle Thu 13-Jan-11 13:46:37

woo hoo princess! get thee to a doctor and tell him about the blood though. congrats. fwiw, with ds I bled from 5w-21w, every pg is different.

Mondayschild78 Fri 14-Jan-11 11:08:38

Ah congrats princess! Good news and good luck for everything.

BabyBorn Fri 14-Jan-11 14:55:46

Congratulations! Hope the brown blood is nothing to worry about. I would ask for a scan asap to check the pregnancy is in the correct place. Good luck with everything x

kateepie2 Fri 14-Jan-11 16:37:41

This has got me thinking now. I had spotting of brown blood, accompanied by cramps, backache and fatigue Mon to Weds this week. AF seems to have turned up yesterday, with period pain erring on the severe both yesterday and today (tummy and back), though not enough to stop me working. HPT has consistently been negative, including this morning. Should I be worried, or is it just a horrible period? I usually don't get PMS, and only get pain on day 2, when I'm heaviest. I had really bad PMS symptoms, so with that, the sore boobs (which I never get before period) and the spotting, had thought this might be my month

Mondayschild78 Fri 14-Jan-11 17:39:07

Hi katiepie,

I went through the same thing last week - from 6th Jan (AF due) had brown spotting with cramps, backache, fatigue and finding it hard to focus/concentrate. Did HPT on 9th Jan and was BFN then what seems to be AF started on 11th Jan - that's what I'm presuming it is but I don't really know, I just thought maybe cos of having flu a few weeks ago. Feel a bit clueless to be honest too. Thought I'd just respond to say I'd had a similar experience.

Dunoon Fri 14-Jan-11 17:51:13

Could some of these be the flu? I had a virus of some kind last week with brown spotting and terrific back pain plus the usual coughing, runny nose and general crapness.

kateepie2 Sat 15-Jan-11 02:14:19

I had the flu in early dec, so that buggered things up last cycle, not sure it would affect things this month tho?

Tested again tnite as went out for a drink and still neg, but tummy v distended n boobs big so I dunno what's going on. Period pain and backache have persisted too. Wish I knew one way or tother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now