Have you ever won a decent prize in a competition?

(117 Posts)
krisskross Wed 09-Feb-11 16:53:29

on MN, or elsewhere?

I occasionally have flurries of activity entering competitions and never won anything ever! Should i continue entering??

Carriecakes Thu 20-Feb-14 22:17:23

I love comping!! But only yesterday I found out that my two children won the Phillips lighting competition where they had to design their own monster, and won a trip for four to DisneyLand Paris!!! We are so excited! I would never have been able to afford to take my four children anywhere this year without this! Luckily my eldest wants to stay with his nan and be near his girlfriend as Disneyland is a bit young for him now, but I can't wait to tell my daughter on her birthday what she has won! :-)

WeAllHaveWings Fri 14-Feb-14 14:35:37

We won a 3+2+1 piece suite in 1994 worth about £2k then! Went in and ordered a suite and entered a competition in store and got a call to say we'd won and we'd be getting our suite for free!

(still have the 2 seater in the spare room)

AnneEllis Fri 14-Feb-14 14:22:48

I have only just started entering competitions and was wondering if anyone had any tips for the best ones to enter?

duchesse Sun 09-Feb-14 09:17:55

No. I've entered loads and never won a thing.

elizadofuckall Sun 09-Feb-14 09:08:49

I won £250 of John Lewis vouchers on a MN competition last year smile

lanbro Fri 31-Jan-14 06:57:14

A week for 2 in Gran Canaria, won in a raffle in a nightclub on my birthday years ago. My parents won a Mediterranean cruise in a raffle too!

allroadsleadtohome Fri 31-Jan-14 06:53:55

I've won a £100 giftcard for Asda and about five teddy bears but that's pretty much it.

Tinyminx Thu 30-Jan-14 21:47:05

And I've won two dab radios, a signed Rastamouse book (by the authors, not rastamouse lol), 5 Wings albums, a muppet ep, tickets to a ballet, a signed Damned 12", a year's supply of Aero, TV, DVD, a trolley dash round Morrisons, doc marten boots, jeans, vouchers....

Doublemuvver Thu 30-Jan-14 21:43:43

A frozen chicken

Tinyminx Thu 30-Jan-14 21:39:35

In one year I won a Mitsubishi Shogun and a 2 wk holiday to Cyprus. It was a lifestyle I could become accustomed to! I've won £1500 on the lottery and countless other small prizes, from cinema tickets to electrical equipment to records to all sorts.
I like competitions. When people say they're not lucky I say you gotta be in it to win it. I've tried to get on tv shows, the one I did get on had no prize but was great just to be on....Stars in their Eyes!!

HomeEcoGnomist Tue 28-Jan-14 19:29:32

I've won an LK Bennett bag (through a work networking thing)

On MN - a visit to the Innocent AGM

most recently - at the scouts bonfire night raffle - dinner for 2 with wine at our local pub. DH was a bit disappointed that dinner literally meant the main meal, we had to pay for pudding.

Where are all these competitions with big holiday/cash prizes!?

lishyboo123 Tue 28-Jan-14 19:16:00

i won an ipad mini and £250 in john lewis vouchers. never thought id win anything. but so happy that i did. dont give up!

billybear Tue 21-Jan-14 18:40:07

I recently won a mini I pad in our local radio station,great prize

lulalullabye Sun 29-Dec-13 21:01:18

I won the mumsnet Costa Rica competition a very long time ago, well it feels like it confused

BertieBowtiesAreCool Tue 17-Dec-13 19:04:04

I won an iPod once for doing surveys. I didn't want it so I sold it on ebay and got £80 smile

OMGIwonacar Tue 17-Dec-13 19:02:59

A car!!!

Fletch049 Tue 17-Dec-13 10:40:38

i have never won a competition yet but always got my fingers crossed.

B3CKYxx Mon 09-Dec-13 19:07:56

helloo
I once won 'potty training pads' which where basically panty liners for kids confused I was entered automatically because I had membership with pushchair trader

I have a couple of questions on comps on programmes like This Morning etc. has anyone ever won with free entry online? Secondly, why do they ask for postcode? Do they use that to pick a winner?
I've not been very lucky, but I maybe just don't know where to look. I won an iPod at Uni. I've won some cleaning products on here too. I try to enter them all on here.
The cash prizes or a holiday would be amazing right now.

iseenodust Wed 04-Dec-13 11:02:19

Here on MN I won a subscription to the Scottish National Trust. Was happy as heading up there for a holiday but then discovered gets you into all English NT properties too so well chuffed.

AphraBane Wed 04-Dec-13 10:55:22

I don't win much because I hardly ever enter competitions. I dislike giving away my personal details more than necessary to companies that are probably going to sell the data or bombard me with advertising afterwards.

But once we went to an open day at a local university. It seems I entered a 'guess the number of coins in a jar' type competition - and then totally forgot about it. A month later i got an e-mail from an unknown person with a uni address saying 'you've won first prize of 100 euros, congratulations' - and I thought it was a joke or phishing. So I replied with a cautious 'what is this about please?' and the guy was REALLY offended that I'd dissed his precious competition. I was happy to get the dosh, though.

Mignonette Wed 04-Dec-13 10:39:46

I won a month in a language lab in Lausanne aged 15 by giving a fifteen minute oral presentation in French.

That was cool. Learned the language of lurve fwink but not sure it improved my french any more....

I 'won' a Prada bag in a well known high fashion magazine give away once plus some Tom Ford bits and pieces. I just received a box full of culinary goodies from a US food blog. I used to enter the She magazine giveaways and 'won' loads of stuff from there. That dates me.

I rarely enter anything and don't do the lottery so my hit rate to date is pretty high.

BlousyMumsyTwat Wed 04-Dec-13 10:33:57

A holiday to Australia! grin

mindosa Wed 04-Dec-13 10:32:06

Won 10k on the Euromillions many moons ago

AUDNAY Wed 04-Dec-13 10:31:14

This week I have had £500 worth of wine from Morrys and I won a trip to Disney Paris with £500 spending, have won a couple of £500 in vouchers for Asda and Tesco. its fits and starts really, I think you have to work at it these days, as doing competitions gets quite a lot of write ups and more people start doing comps. Local comps are good for winning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now