Have you ever won a decent prize in a competition?

(117 Posts)
krisskross Wed 09-Feb-11 16:53:29

on MN, or elsewhere?

I occasionally have flurries of activity entering competitions and never won anything ever! Should i continue entering??

EeTraceyluv Wed 31-Jul-13 13:01:10

blimey didn't realise I'd already been on this thread!! Under another name and everything!

Spirael Wed 31-Jul-13 13:01:43

I rarely win anything, but if I do it's inevitably something I can't use! Such as tickets to events while I'm at work and can't book time off, or a haircut where we stayed on holiday the previous week at the other end of the country, or a large collection of books I already own.

It's become a bit of a running joke in my family now. wink Not that they mind, as they tend to benefit from the prizes!

Someday, I'd like to win something significant that I can actually keep for myself.

desichick007 Mon 12-Aug-13 12:38:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

desichick007 Mon 12-Aug-13 16:04:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Dafsareyellow Tue 20-Aug-13 14:27:05

No, after many years - never won a thing!

noisytoys Tue 20-Aug-13 14:32:19

I won a Dyson, £150 John Lewis vouchers and cinema tickets on here smile

manfalou Tue 20-Aug-13 14:51:48

Never won anything off MN but have won lots of other things like a Pink lining changing bag, £100 chiquito vouchers, £30 FB vouchers, Loads of kids books, A Monsters university kids play tent, 7 bottles of wine, £100 (cheque), ear planes, Car seat + other stuff ... Id love to win a family holiday. Thats the dream!

LynetteScavo Tue 20-Aug-13 14:57:40

I won the Victoria sponge cake competition at the school fayre last year [proud]

DS won a bike helmet recently.

DH won £60 on the lottery once. He bought 60 tickets, and won £10. grin

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 20-Aug-13 15:01:24

£65.00 for a line at bingo about 3 years ago. Does that count?

Never won a single thing from a competition though!

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 20-Aug-13 15:03:15

£65.00 for a line at bingo about 3 years ago. Does that count?

Never won a single thing from a competition though!

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 20-Aug-13 15:04:09

Sorry - I only pressed it once I swear! confused

AlexGG Thu 29-Aug-13 17:07:25

I've entered the people's operator ipad competition. They are giving away three iPads and five SIMS with £100 credit to eight lucky Mumsnetters.

And a free sim card with £10. Give it a go! smile

http://www.mumsnet.com/competitions/2013/september-2013/ipad-peoples-operator

givemeaboost Mon 23-Sep-13 23:06:54

£150 worth of designer sunglasses, 2 tickets to a festival, £160 on lotto - all within a month, oh and £120 worth tickets to theatre to see a childrens thing on here 10yrs ago, which I sold, as at that point I was financially on my knees and it helped me out a hole so I was so grateful and shocked when id won.

goldenretriever Sun 29-Sep-13 09:22:18

This year I have won a trip to New York and a week end break at a posh spa and lots of smaller prizes. I also redeemed a win from last year yesterday - zorbing for two!!! I love entering competitions in my spare time as it enhances my families' and my life.

yourcruisedirector Tue 01-Oct-13 13:04:16

I've won a few things over the years but never the things I was desperately excited to enter!

I won a cake in a school raffle when I was 10, but it was horrible. Then I won a book about Mutants from the Guardian and, quite excitingly, tickets to the media launch of the Coldplay X&Y gig to be part of the audience.

DH won a Macbook in his work raffle (they're billed abut £50 a year for raffle tickets EVERY year though!). We are painfully down on the lottery and I've never won a single thing on MN even though I enter everything which sounds like it will be relevant or fun.

Humbugxmas Sun 01-Dec-13 00:48:02

Won a coke key ring in 1977
Won a set of saucepans from Aga 10 years ago
Won a luxury safari - a week in Tanzania at a charity ball last month!!!!!!!!

We go in July!

maggie55 Mon 02-Dec-13 12:35:58

AUDNAY Wed 04-Dec-13 10:31:14

This week I have had £500 worth of wine from Morrys and I won a trip to Disney Paris with £500 spending, have won a couple of £500 in vouchers for Asda and Tesco. its fits and starts really, I think you have to work at it these days, as doing competitions gets quite a lot of write ups and more people start doing comps. Local comps are good for winning.

mindosa Wed 04-Dec-13 10:32:06

Won 10k on the Euromillions many moons ago

BlousyMumsyTwat Wed 04-Dec-13 10:33:57

A holiday to Australia! grin

Mignonette Wed 04-Dec-13 10:39:46

I won a month in a language lab in Lausanne aged 15 by giving a fifteen minute oral presentation in French.

That was cool. Learned the language of lurve fwink but not sure it improved my french any more....

I 'won' a Prada bag in a well known high fashion magazine give away once plus some Tom Ford bits and pieces. I just received a box full of culinary goodies from a US food blog. I used to enter the She magazine giveaways and 'won' loads of stuff from there. That dates me.

I rarely enter anything and don't do the lottery so my hit rate to date is pretty high.

AphraBane Wed 04-Dec-13 10:55:22

I don't win much because I hardly ever enter competitions. I dislike giving away my personal details more than necessary to companies that are probably going to sell the data or bombard me with advertising afterwards.

But once we went to an open day at a local university. It seems I entered a 'guess the number of coins in a jar' type competition - and then totally forgot about it. A month later i got an e-mail from an unknown person with a uni address saying 'you've won first prize of 100 euros, congratulations' - and I thought it was a joke or phishing. So I replied with a cautious 'what is this about please?' and the guy was REALLY offended that I'd dissed his precious competition. I was happy to get the dosh, though.

iseenodust Wed 04-Dec-13 11:02:19

Here on MN I won a subscription to the Scottish National Trust. Was happy as heading up there for a holiday but then discovered gets you into all English NT properties too so well chuffed.

I have a couple of questions on comps on programmes like This Morning etc. has anyone ever won with free entry online? Secondly, why do they ask for postcode? Do they use that to pick a winner?
I've not been very lucky, but I maybe just don't know where to look. I won an iPod at Uni. I've won some cleaning products on here too. I try to enter them all on here.
The cash prizes or a holiday would be amazing right now.

B3CKYxx Mon 09-Dec-13 19:07:56

helloo
I once won 'potty training pads' which where basically panty liners for kids confused I was entered automatically because I had membership with pushchair trader

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now