Have you ever won a decent prize in a competition?

(117 Posts)
krisskross Wed 09-Feb-11 16:53:29

on MN, or elsewhere?

I occasionally have flurries of activity entering competitions and never won anything ever! Should i continue entering??

I never win anything but dh wins quite a bit on other sites. We've had a dvd player, luxury hotel break, dvds, food hampers etc, trip to Chicago (the city, not the musical!)

The best one was when he won a holiday to a private island in the Bahamas!!

StellaAndFries Sun 30-Sep-12 11:24:56

I won £100 in John Lewis vouchers on a feedback thread on here, I used them to buy a kindle which I love and use daily. I won £20 m&s vouchers at a Macmillan coffee morning on Friday, dd4 needs some new clothes so going to buy her an outfit when we next go into town.

Campari Wed 24-Oct-12 15:52:33

While working in Dubai I won a round of golf at Arabian Ranches....I was so excited, I couldn't wait to go!!

...sadly we had to fly home before DH ever got round to booking it angry

JollyJackOLantern Fri 26-Oct-12 18:40:14

My parents won a ford fiesta. And a week in a holiday cottage. And various other things. They are a bit jammy.

ButtonF1Fan Mon 29-Oct-12 13:36:52

My son entered a competition online and won us a holiday to universal florida, for all 4 of us!
My best prize was australia for 2 adults with daybreak tv.

EcoLady Fri 09-Nov-12 14:55:33

I go through phases of entering things. I won a portable DVD player and a film plus promotional goodies for it on here www.theprizefinder.com/competitions/kids-%2526-toys/

Puffin have nice book prizes www.puffin.co.uk/ We won a chance to meet an author but it was on a day that clashed with a holiday!

NG Kids are good too www.ngkids.co.uk/prize_planet/

Best prize ever was via a corporate contact though. DH and I got a trip to Sweden with a stay at the Ice Hotel!

JessLG Tue 20-Nov-12 15:54:37

I have won quite a lot of stuff and I don't enter all that often. The best things I've won included 5 nail polishes from Maybelline, a soft toy bear and a box of chocolates!

TennisFan42 Thu 22-Nov-12 06:58:58

I used to enter competitions regularly although for the last few years I've only entered the occasional one.
Prizes I've had:
- a digital camera
- tickets to Eastbourne tennis
- tickets to The Dice House in the west end
- 25 books which were the nominees for a book award (I think it was WH Smiths)
- Edinburgh Festival innovations competition - £100 of dvds/books (unfortunately of their choice not mine)
- The best prize I won was for a slogan competition for impulse fragrance. I won the top prize which was a weekend in a top london hotel, £150 to spend in the hotel’s restaurant (Asia de Cuba), tickets to see Chicago (with David Hasselhoff in it!) and £2,000 to spend with a personal shopper at Selfridges – those vouchers lasted me about 2 years!

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 22-Nov-12 07:06:14

A holiday to the Dominican with Thomas Cook smile

MsVelvet Thu 13-Dec-12 13:54:36

I once won a pink vespa moped from a bottle of vitel water, all i had to do was text the number and they rang me up. had to sell it when i was skint a couple of years after dd was born though smile

I won a three day Boot Camp at Champneys in July grin Took dd22 along and we had a fab time!

MrsMarigold Thu 13-Dec-12 14:18:53

I once won an international poetry competition when I was 12 - the irony is everyone had to write a poem on the environment for homework. The teacher selected the best one and submitted it to the competition. We were going out to dinner that night and I was ranting to my mother about how lame the whole thing was and she recorded my rant told me to write it down and submit it as my effort - I felt a bit funny when I won.

I haven't won anything else but judged a children's colouring competition in Africa - the prize was a bicycle and a donation of books to the school library. There were thousands of entries and it was very difficult to choose a winner. when I contacted the winner he was so delighted and it was amazing - I still get a tear in my eye thing of it.

MrsMarigold Thu 13-Dec-12 14:19:15

thinking!

MrsHoarder Sun 06-Jan-13 11:12:51

Nothing on here. Once won some mothering Sunday flowers for my DM from a local paper (tell us why your mum deserves flowers) and £50 for doing a feedback thingy after having my tyres changed

Doughnutmaestro Wed 22-May-13 20:52:11

Won tickets to the baby show last year, spent a small fortune and as ds was 18ish months and I'm rather fat everyone assumed I was pregnant with number 2, in the end I gave up correcting them but I was quietly sad
When I was young, Jurassic park was coming out at the cinema there was a competition in the local paper that was basically which of these isn't a dinosaur there was Tyrannosaurus rex, Brontosaurus and some silly made up one which was obviously fake, I wrote in and informed them in no uncertain terms that their competition was stupid, only the Trex was actually a dinosaur, they'd discovered that the brontosaurus never really existed www.omg-facts.com/Animals/The-Brontosaurus-NEVER-EXISTED/8152
They sent me a letter of apology and second prize of a lump of orange plastic with a fake fly in it, supposedly amber.

I was an insufferable know-all lol

HorseyGirl1 Sat 06-Jul-13 20:56:25

I have never won as much as a free bar of chocolate! 8-0 at all you lucky people. Maybe my big win is still to come - wonder what it will be? Dreams of new car.....

ouryve Sat 06-Jul-13 20:57:37

I've won loads on here and done some pretty high value product tests.

HorseyGirl1 Thu 11-Jul-13 14:51:55

I actually won a book for my little boy on here in the first comp. I ever entered on here! Can't believe it - sooo pleased and surprised! 8-)

bruffin Thu 11-Jul-13 15:08:44

When LBC was a local radio station i won a few tickets

A private viewing of Pirates of the Caribbean at a hotel. Free wine and nibbles beforehand and the cinema a huge leather armchair seats.

Tickets to see the premier of Starsky and Hutch in Leicester Square

Tickets to a see Michael Ball picnic concert

also one a Superplexus maze ball from a newspaper

louise88uk Thu 18-Jul-13 10:44:30

Yes, I won 4 X Nintendo 3DS consoles on a walkers competition smile
I've never won anything before this & to win 4 of them was a bonus.
Funnily enough I'd been to a xmas event where there was a palm reader and she told me I was going to win something in the next 4 weeks and I did!

I won £200 of love2shop vouchers on here. They came in handy for diy stuff as we are selling up and moving to Cornwall- 330 miles away!

deleted203 Sat 27-Jul-13 20:20:49

The only thing I've ever won was first prize in the raffle when the DCs were at nursery. And it was lovely!

A lady who made dolls houses had made a baker's shop - complete with tiny trays of jam tarts, sausage rolls, wedding cake, etc. (And the baker). We still have it and the DCs played and played with it!

deleted203 Sat 27-Jul-13 20:22:14

Oh - and DD1 won a bike in primary school! It was one of those 'Design a Road Safety Poster' things for all children in the County. She was chuffed to bits.

pattiesplum Wed 31-Jul-13 12:30:06

I have won a few. Sadly not big prizes but it is such a thrill to win even little things like books and make up.

EeTraceyluv Wed 31-Jul-13 12:41:46

Weekend at Champneys last year. Twas fabulous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now