This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Is it possible to buy girl's cotton nighties online that don't cost £20?

(14 Posts)
barb45 Tue 26-Feb-13 20:26:05

I can't find any nighties for less than £20 for my 10 year old but Primark have some nice ones for £5, just have to trail 10 miles for the nearest store!

Cathy15 Wed 16-Jan-13 11:00:07

I just bought some pjs and nightdress that are 100% cotton and lovely too. One with kittens on...so cute. only about £13 in the sale. They're Darcy Brown but bought through twinkletwinkleboutique.co.uk....was very good service. Hope this helps!

lucylou99 Mon 14-Jan-13 18:06:47

The reason they need fire retardant is very very important which is why the uk have the ruling.In a recent test they did on nightdresses without enough retardant the whole nightdress has burned away in under a minute! Pure cotton is very very flammable unlike manmade fibres.Nightdresses are expensive in the uk as they undergo the retardant treatment. Anyone heard of Oscar Wilde? Both his sisters died when a dress caught fire and the other tried to put it out killing them both.I sell cotton nightdresses and i am not replying to promote my shop in anyway-it just horrified me that someone would deliberately want to buy one without treatment.I sell them at £20.00 and it is hard work to find any supplier that can do them for less.

Grandduchessdebrack Mon 18-Jul-11 22:37:29

I had the same problem. Managed eventually to find one at M&S that was cotton jersey - and I think it was around £12. But they are few and far between. Am now puzzling over school uniforms... and why they most of them have to be made of manmade fabrics!

NoahFence Sun 08-May-11 10:39:14

tesco

CJPJ Sun 08-May-11 10:38:18

I'm glad I'm not the only one searching for something that's seemingly impossible! Why? I don't wear 100% polyester nighties, why would I want my daughter to?

Found a couple on Vertbaudet (cheap) and will ask for Mini Boden / White Co. ones for her birthday. Might try jersey summer dresses whilst the waether's warmer!

LittlePJS Sun 21-Mar-10 08:55:19

I had the same problem for my boys, I love White company but did not want to pay their prices.

I have set up my own business selling pjs and nighties and I try to keep them under the £20 mark.

Nighties I would agree you should buy on the large size as it does not matter if they are nearly to the floor when they first start wearing them. Also you dont want tight pjs/nighties - nice and loose and comfy.

I always go for cotton as it stops them getting hot and sweaty which some other fabrics can do.

Primark do some ok pjs as well if cost is a factor - but not sure if they are 100% cotton.

elliebubs Wed 17-Mar-10 17:46:22

John Lewis also has one nightie made of cotton for sale at £14. Bickleigh Mill in Devon sells cotton nighties for £18

BonjourIvresse Wed 25-Nov-09 22:30:12

I've never found cotton nighties at M & S - though they do cotton PJs everywhere - the law is only about nighties.

IvanaDK Wed 25-Nov-09 19:07:26

M&S? H&M?

BonjourIvresse Wed 25-Nov-09 19:00:20

Good luck. There is a law about nighties needing to be fire retardent here so there aren't many about. I ended up getting some summer ones from La redoute in France, as I didn't want polyester or ones with fire retardant. If you buy them big, nighties can last for about 3 years though.

suiledonne Mon 09-Nov-09 19:21:31

Thanks. I'll try ebay.

Seriously though does anyone know why they are so expensive?

I've seen them on The White Company, JOjo MamanBebe and a few other places and they are all £20 or more.

I'm sure the quality is good but I don't have that sort of money to spend on nightwear, even for myself.

waltonsmountain Mon 09-Nov-09 17:36:04

I get alot of my daughters nighties and pjs on eBay. Once you get over the secondhand/pre-loved thing you can get some truly beautiful things. We have won stunning longsleeved cotton jersey nighties from Boden and the Little White Company on there. Hardly worn, especially as they are bedwear so unlikely to get food stains/mud stains/playground damage etc. There are often brand new clothes on there too. Worth a look!

suiledonne Mon 09-Nov-09 08:23:41

Looking for longsleeve jersey cotton nighties for my 3 year old. Found some at the White Company and a couple of others but they are £20 each - just too expensive.

Anyone know where I can get some more reasonably prices ones?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now