This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

A new clothing brand

(5 Posts)
Kala101 Sat 07-May-16 19:03:16

Hi all,

I'm thinking about starting a small clothing brand.

I've been on a quest for a structured (with waist and darts) black(and other colors) cotton formal/office dress that falls at or below my knees and has sleeves. I didn't find any.

Lately, I've realized that it's almost impossible to find structured office or formal clothes with decent lengths and proper sleeves (not cap) in cotton. I truly hate the ubiquitous polyester as it makes me feel icky, sweaty and cheap. And from what I'm reading I'm not alone.

I've found wonderful thick cotton lycra (97% cotton), cotton sateen (96%) and cotton twill that would make for beautiful structured dresses. For more flow, fit and flare dresses, I have cotton poplin (100% or with a bit of stretch). All these are thick mid to heavyweight, robust and opaque fabrics; hence expensive but not as much as big brands would like us to believe.

My vision is to have a brand where women know they will get dresses and blouses in quality fabrics, with generous sleeves and lengths. I want to have these dresses in solid colors in the beginning and see where it goes.

Do you know any competitors ? Any suggestions?

I just need some reassurance I guess as I truly believe in my vision but quite nervous too. www.mumsnet.com/emo/te/9.gif.pagespeed.ce.TUei7x3YMQ.gif

Kala101 Sat 07-May-16 19:06:52

wanted to make a skeptical smiley hmm but came out weird above

I forgot to add cotton linings where needed, smile

SeaRabbit Sat 07-May-16 19:18:09

Kala those sound the sorts of dresses I would like! There is an American brand that did shirtwaistears about 4 years ago - they were sold in Fenwicks. The brand I can think that most nearly matches yours is The Fold - I think they have a few cotton dresses. They sell dresses that are well-made, and good value for the quality, but sadly don't fit me, as I am flat- chested.

Kala101 Sat 07-May-16 19:37:14

Hi SeaRabbit, Thanks I just checked their website. They're pretty expensive, and still very little cotton. I like the structure and design.

I would definitely never sell at these prices. I think quality fabrics and good designs can be more affordable.

Most of their models are also flat-chested so I don't know why their dresses don't fit you.

SeaRabbit Sun 08-May-16 11:34:12

Heh! The actual dresses are cut for women with breasts - it's a problem I have with most dresses sadly. I hate the fact there is so much polyester around - even good-quality polyester (Agnes B) needs anti-static spray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now