This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Hunter Wellies

(14 Posts)
torthecatlady Wed 27-Jan-16 00:11:39

Boring thread alert!

For a long time now I have been contemplating whether or not to treat myself to a pair of hunter wellies.

I know that they are pricey when compared to the high street or garden Centre but are they actually worth it?

Also, another factor to consider is I have horribly wide feet sad 6EEE and I Wonder how Hunter wellies come up size wise - narrow, wide or high street norm.

If they are narrow I'm going to need to find some wide wellies!

Any suggestions please?

nicolehello Thu 28-Jan-16 14:23:53

I have a pair and love them - the just feel a bit sturdier and better insulated. I think they also look like they last forever as they are really well made. No idea about width though - I'm sure if you gave them a ring they'd be able to tell you.

lljkk Thu 28-Jan-16 14:32:01

I have wide feet G-ish, & mine fit me...
They are so nothing special, though. I like my colourful ones from local shop, or B&Q greenies, just as much.

Thundercrackers Thu 28-Jan-16 15:28:50

I've got fat feet and they love my hunter wellies. However, do you have very high arches? That might affect how easy they are to get on and off.

hellsbells99 Thu 28-Jan-16 15:33:11

I like the shorty Hunter ones as I have wide calves

sweetheart Thu 28-Jan-16 15:36:51

I know a couple of "proper country folk" who scoff at people who wear Hunter wellies. Apparently they are not really proper hardcore wellies and are just a fashion statement according to them.

lljkk Thu 28-Jan-16 15:44:42

I have high arches & no problem with them in the hunters... the Hunters just aren't that special, honest.Maybe if you get lined ones, I didn't see any.

throckenholt Thu 28-Jan-16 16:16:08

Hunters used to be good - when they were made in Scotland. Several years ago they were outsourced to somewhere in China I think. At about that time the quality of the rubber seemed to get worse and they just didn't wear as well.

Dunlop ones seems quite hard wearing and wide.

Mouthfulofquiz Thu 28-Jan-16 16:18:38

I have a pair that I bought about 10 years ago that are still going strong. Very comfortable - I have fairly average with feet and calves, so I can tuck my jeans in, with a decent pair of socks on.

tootsietoo Thu 28-Jan-16 16:22:31

Well if you want to actually use them most days, they will only last for a year or two before the rubber splits. They are also freezing. (Do they do neoprene lined ones now?)

Le Chameau is the new Hunter welly. Mine have done about 6 years being used every day in autumn/winter/spring very thoroughly, and they are neoprene lined, so v warm (although you can't wear them in summer - sweaty legs).

However, if you want some pretty patent pink ones, then Hunters look fabulous!

torthecatlady Fri 29-Jan-16 10:24:31

Thanks for the replies all, it's definitely given me something to think about.

I thought everyone would say they were narrow and not to bother. So it has definitely given me some hope after all.

I need to find a stockist near me to try a few different styles on, i guess. I imagine there's somewhere in Cardiff that stock them. I will check their website smile

Also, interesting that they're no longer made in Britain. I did not know this. It's a shame!

In regards to the comment about the farmers - it made me laugh. I grew up down a country lane and in a very rural location and there was most definitely not a Hunter welly in sight! Mostly dunlop - is that the right brand i'm thinking of?

I struggle to find a pair of wellies that fit to be honest and with this rain we've been having, I was drenched the other day. I do have Merrell walking boots but they're very chunky and heavy (and hot!) But I must admit, the funky colours do look quite appealing blush

Anyone seen the wellies which have a heel, well a wedge? I looked like this shock when I saw them! How impractical! grin

throckenholt Fri 29-Jan-16 16:21:36

Wellies have become a fashion item in recent years. Hard to believe when they have always just been very practical footware (if bloody useless at keeping your feet warm) for most of their life.

The trick now is to decide why you need them and buy the brand accordingly. I tend to think hunters have gone down the fashion route.

FredaB Fri 28-Oct-16 21:24:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BakeOffBiscuits Fri 28-Oct-16 21:30:37

Why are there about 9 threads about Hunter wellieshmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now