This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

AIBU to not like leggings or pink

(62 Posts)
rustykoala Tue 22-Apr-14 00:10:40

Im pregnant with my first DD and people have started asking what gifts clothes etc me and DH would like for DD. we have told people we dont want any pink outfits or leggings DH hates leggings as do i and we have found unisex bright clothes so much more appealing. Reason we dont like leggings is skimpy tight effect i dont want DD to look grown up or tarty and the nappy bulge squeeze thing they do every baby ive seen wearing them looks like they need a serious nappy changing my friends baby even looked like she needed changing right after she had been changed. AIBU ?? People we have said this too seem to think we are but i dont see the big deal?? confused

Only1scoop Tue 22-Apr-14 08:37:36

Babies are so comfy and snuggly in baby gros and rompers....think that's all dd wore for first few months.

Hate it when babies look uncomfortable in dresses and jeans.

rollonthesummer Tue 22-Apr-14 08:39:58

Calling babies in leggings tarty is quite offensive!

Heathcliff27 Tue 22-Apr-14 08:42:55

Babies tarty?!?! I think you have some serious growing up to do OP before this PFB arrives and you realise it isn't all about you and what you think anymore.

Only1scoop Tue 22-Apr-14 08:44:07

I agree.... as is telling people fine details of what to buy your baby who hasn't yet arrived. I just loved all my dd gifts because they were so varied and personal from that person.

schilke Tue 22-Apr-14 08:45:51

I found tights a right faff on a baby. Mine lived in babygros for ages. As for looking like they needed a nappy change in leggings, well mine were in washable nappies so bum always looked big!
Babies look tarty in leggings??? I don't even understand what you mean! How can a baby look tarty?

450fromPaddington Tue 22-Apr-14 08:47:24

Polarn O Pyret do loads of unisex stuff. Navy and white stripes etc. although that does include sturdy thick striped leggings which are practical for kicking, crawling, cruising etc.
Tarty they are not!

How bizarre. Just keep the bay in babygrows. No tight elastic around their tummies smile

Footle Tue 22-Apr-14 08:53:28

My grandson is 3 and wears leggings usually. I had failed to wonder whether they make him look tarty.

elQuintoConyo Tue 22-Apr-14 08:57:01

DS wears a lot of leggings from H&M, he looks like he fell out of a dockyard tart's handbag. I'll be sure to put him in stiff Levi's from now on, I'm sure he'll thank me for it when he's older.

hallamoo Tue 22-Apr-14 09:03:55

Babygros, sleepsuits, rompers, with or without cardigans for the first few months. Practical, comfortable and incredibly cute and snuggly. I don't understand the need to dress newborns like mini adults.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Tue 22-Apr-14 09:07:02

I'm not sure how you plan in avoiding pink and leggings for a girl, that's a big chunk of all girls clothes, perhaps naked might not be too tarty for you, stick to rompers, I can't stand the "let's dress my baby in a three piece suit, flat cap and dickie bow" look for everyday wear

Pink isn't the axis of evil, rustykoala - it is a lovely colour - but I absolutely take your point that you don't want your baby in nothing but pink - and I do think there are nice pinks and awful ones - I can't be doing with tooth-achingly sweet sugar pink, but I love a deep cerise or raspberry pink - and they go really well with other bright colours too, like turquoise or orange.

So if you do get some pink clothes, think a bit laterally, and put them with other colours, so pink is just a part of your colour palette.

My mum hated pink with a passion, and I don't remember having anything pink to wear between the ages of 0 and 18.5 when I left home - and I do feel I had a pink-deprived childhood. I now have a lot more pink in my life than my mum likes - but it's my choice - and I do stick to the strong pinks, like the cerise and raspberry colours I mentioned.

Don't write pink off altogether - it can be a part of your dd's wardrobe - it doesn't have to swamp it.

One thought on leggings vs tights - leggings are a whole lot easier to get onto a wriggling baby than tights - and anything that makes those first months easier can only be a good thing! Your baby won't look tarty, I promise.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Tue 22-Apr-14 09:34:33

Also, I said I pink for my DD

Turns out her complexion suits certain shades of pink better than any other colour hands down, it would have once pained me to say it, but it suits her, so she wears it, it's nothing to do with gender classification

CustardFromATin Tue 22-Apr-14 09:43:59

If you're not liking leggings, are you planning on babygros or dresses? Babygros are ace, but dresses are a huge faff - spend most of their time bunched around the waist, and then once they get moving they get in the way. Jeans and dungarees are cute when older, but not usually soft enough for a tiny baby, and like pps said, unless your dd has tons of hair everyone will comment on your gorgeous little boy. Didn't worry me with Dd because they were useful handmedowns from DS and we were skint (and modern liberal parents etc etc!), but if she were the first I definitely would have gone for lots of soft unisex leggings. Boys can wear them too, and they're def not tarty smile

rustykoala Tue 22-Apr-14 10:03:28

we are using reusable nappies which are quiet big but don't bunch like yucky disposables. and i am planning on a mix of tights and dresses, unisex outfit's like we got her a grey jersey dungaree set from next the other day and some baby gro's also sticking to H&M for the jogging bottoms and wrap around vests etc we just don't like leggings not on men women or child there just so see through and gross and tight.

Foxsticks Tue 22-Apr-14 10:08:37

Yucky disposables. Tarty babies in gross and tight leggings. Wow. I really hope you manage not to share all your views with other mums or you are going to offend a lot of people.

rustykoala Tue 22-Apr-14 10:10:20

planning on baby gros unless we are going out to see people or going out for a meal at some point buy i like baby gros plain jogger's and cardigans as a basic everyday layette and i agree with pp about denim on baby's it looks about as comfy as a Brillo pad grin when DD is crawling and getting covered in muck i didn't know existed ..which happens according to MIL shock then she will be in some denim dungaree's and basic t shirts. have got one babygro from polarn o pyret too ridiculously expensive even in sales i like next clearance and la redoute atm asda matalan and tesco etc are all good too

rustykoala Tue 22-Apr-14 10:11:49

yh i have some pretty brutal radical views about disposables but not even gonna go there that's for another day for another nappy thread.

Foxsticks Tue 22-Apr-14 10:16:57

You sound like your brutal radical views stretch to a lot more than nappies.

ouryve Tue 22-Apr-14 10:21:08

Leggings generally don't look tarty, but how the hell can a baby look tarty in anything? That's beyond ridiculous. Children's leggings are generally made of thick t-shirty material and are quite practical. Tights or footed leggings are better when it's chilly, though, as socks and babies generally don't stay together very long. Babygrows are perfect, most of the time, to be honest.

Babies growth is quite unpredictable, so, if you're lucky, some things might actually get worn twice before they're either outgrown, irreversibly shit or puke stained, or both.

anchovies Tue 22-Apr-14 10:24:59

Haha at reusable nappies being "quite big" but not bunching like yucky disposables. I remember ds2 being like a weeble wobble in his newborn reusable nappies grin

Next, asda and matalan? Tbh I'm surprised you are permitting your dd to wear anything other than organic merino wool?

CustardFromATin Tue 22-Apr-14 10:25:42

Sounds like you've got lots of sensible views, but it's really worth being fairly laidback until the baby arrives and you discover what type of person she is (and what type of mother you are!). And I'd definitely save the brutal radical views on tarty leggings or disposable nappies until after you've had the baby, partly because if it turns out that washables don't actually work for your life (I loved them, but other friends have found that the washing simply doesn't work with their house or time - or that their crappy old machines made their water use skyrocket enough to offset any landfill savings, or that the drying filled their house with mould), then you'll feel bad, but also because you'll meet plenty of other actually quite nice mothers who don't share these views, and brutally radical views on what they're doing is not a way to help other stressed new mums, or how to make friends (if you want to - that's also your choice!). Be nice to yourself, your baby, and other new mums, and be as forgiving as possible to people who are trying to give you gifts or advice you don't want (even if you mutter under your breath later) is usually a good way to have as nice as possible time in the first few moths.

Lj8893 Tue 22-Apr-14 10:26:12

So what is your baby going to wear with her dresses? As tights are a lot tighter and more see through than leggings!

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 22-Apr-14 10:41:19

Yes YABU, leggings are a life saver, they go with everything. Over tights, with a skirt , under a dress, long top, the list is endless. Wait till you get to a soft play when they are older. Easy to move around in etc. However mine lived in babygros for ageeeesss!. As for tarty??!? Think most of the population would disagree with you on that one.
As for pink, thats a preference, go for lots of colours. You will get soon bored of outfitswhen you are constantly changing after nappy explosions and sick.

RiverTam Tue 22-Apr-14 10:44:56

what a bizarre thought on leggings - DD is 4 and has worn leggings a lot, very practical, lots of nice designs and she doesn't look tarty - because she's a little girl.

I dressed DD in babygros and sleepsuits, at least until she could sit unaided, and I didn't bother with dresses until she could walk, they are pointless on babies, IMO. It's easy to stay away from pink, but it is what people will buy you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now