This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

AIBU to not like leggings or pink

(62 Posts)
rustykoala Tue 22-Apr-14 00:10:40

Im pregnant with my first DD and people have started asking what gifts clothes etc me and DH would like for DD. we have told people we dont want any pink outfits or leggings DH hates leggings as do i and we have found unisex bright clothes so much more appealing. Reason we dont like leggings is skimpy tight effect i dont want DD to look grown up or tarty and the nappy bulge squeeze thing they do every baby ive seen wearing them looks like they need a serious nappy changing my friends baby even looked like she needed changing right after she had been changed. AIBU ?? People we have said this too seem to think we are but i dont see the big deal?? confused

Nocomet Tue 22-Apr-14 00:53:31

Leggings are better than tights, which look really, really stupid because you can see the pattern on the nappy through them. Also many tights are a very funny shape.

Trousers fall down. Leggings are incredibly practical.

Pink everything gets a bit wearing, especially if you have an orange haired DD that many shades of pink don't suit.

It is however not worth offending people about, baby clothes fit for five minutes and the presents soon dry up. Just be sure to get photos in the outfits you do like. Three minutes later they'll be covered in milk and you'll be grateful you hid that hideous pink tunic and leggings from antique Mable in the changing bag.

Nocomet Tue 22-Apr-14 00:56:42

Auntie Mable.

Actually DD1's nicest outfit was bought because she was spectacularly sick in town and at 2.5 I thought she'd grown out of needing me to lug spare clothes everywhere.

notadoctor Tue 22-Apr-14 01:20:26

It's totally up to you how you dress your DD. It seems a bit silly to worry about leggings making her look tarty though - they're very comfy and practical for quick changes.

I also agree that people enjoy choosing baby clothes and it feels a bit mean to impose strict rules about what to but in them.

notadoctor Tue 22-Apr-14 01:21:31

I meant 'about what to buy on them'!

rustykoala Tue 22-Apr-14 01:50:52

We have bought lots of plain coloured tights already DD wont have her bottom showing in them so it doesnt matter if her nappy shows through did you mean wearing tights as pants like leggings ?

rustykoala Tue 22-Apr-14 01:51:56

Its nice people asked because it is nicer to recieve a gift you love and be thankfull than something you hate and have to secretly hate.

ravenAK Tue 22-Apr-14 02:17:46

Leggings & tights are pretty much the same thing, to be fair - leggings are just slightly thicker & usually footless. They won't look much different over a nappy (are we talking disposables here?).

I'm with you on the pink!

But seriously, chill.

She'll be in the clothes people buy you for roughly a month. Most things are readily returnable & you can exchange them for something you do like.

My eldest is nearing 10 & there are several baby photos of him in outfits I have no memory of at all & definitely wouldn't have chosen. They'll be clothes bought for him by random relatives & friends. Neither he nor I are scarred by the experience! smile.

GwenStacy Tue 22-Apr-14 07:51:18

Babies look tarty in leggings? That's really sad :-(

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 22-Apr-14 07:53:16

Agree about the pink I'm not a fan but baby looking tarty in leggings wtaf?! That's bizarre really actually weird

Lj8893 Tue 22-Apr-14 08:03:53

How does a baby look tarty ffs?!?

When you say your baby's bottom will be covered in tights are you forgetting that most of the time your baby will be pulling up her dress/long top and it will mainly be scrunched around her tummy!

My dd wears leggings a lot because they are so comfy!

noddyholder Tue 22-Apr-14 08:13:11

Good lord do people really give this much thought to baby clothes. And tarty? Get a grip.

Only1scoop Tue 22-Apr-14 08:15:56

Blimey baby looking 'tarty' in leggings awful hmm

GwenStacy Tue 22-Apr-14 08:16:03

Dresses cover my babies bottom when I am holding her under her arms in front of me. Anything else and it's up round her waist ;-)

Bit baffled as to how leggings are a bit tarty tbh. It's not a boob tube and sparkly heels it is a stretchy, comfortable, easily washed item of clothing that is going to fit for 5 minutes and be covered in explosive poos and milky sick.
And a baby and toddler will always find away to have their clothes pulled up above their head so yes tour babies nappy will be on show.

Beanymonster Tue 22-Apr-14 08:18:13

I'm not sure what you think the alternatives are to leggings or tights? Jeans or joggers your left with.... Jeans on babies are not comfi, and joggers made my dd look like a boy! due to little/no pink due to ginger hair I think your overthinking it.. Some of my dds cutest outfits were bought for her.. I didn't particularly like, but shoved her in for a thank you photo and then fell in love with..

Comfortable, soft, and machine washable should be your only criteria!

and be thankful people are buying you presents, I'm 27w and no one has mentioned any presents for my dc2 yet

WhosLookingAfterCourtney Tue 22-Apr-14 08:18:19

Babies look tarty? Wow OP. Chill out, that's really rude.

callamia Tue 22-Apr-14 08:20:53

Leggings are ace - H&M do some great n

sonlypuppyfat Tue 22-Apr-14 08:21:47

Some very odd people in the world.

Spottybra Tue 22-Apr-14 08:24:17

Why not just look at babygros and romper suits? There's honestly nothing wrong with leggings. Dd wore lots of darker coloured leggings with white ankle socks and pretty tops and white cardigans. She's now 2 and loves tulle shirts, tutus, ballet shoes, hearts and flouncy, girly dresses. At some point, if you have a dd, she's going to like pink.

Hulababy Tue 22-Apr-14 08:25:23

Tbh I'd worry far more about people who even puts the works baby and tarty together as a possibility than anyone who choses to dress a baby girl head to toe in pink!

YABU. Tarty is such a bizarre thing to say about a baby.

callamia Tue 22-Apr-14 08:25:56

Sorry, H&M do some great leggings in not-pink colours - my little boy lives in them and has so far managed to not look tarty.

I love a baby in a romper suit too. I'm bit hugely keen on fussy outfits that makes babies look like small adults - so keeping if all simple with baby-gros, romper and simple trousers works for me.

Fwiw, I wouldn't dress a girl I pink either - but there are plenty of good unisex/non-genders stuff; H&M, sometimes mothercare and American apparel do a good job. Also, makers like frugi do some beautiful clothes for any baby.

Foxsticks Tue 22-Apr-14 08:35:28

Your baby's bottom will not be on display grin you'll soon come to accept its a rare experience when they aren't on display!

I didn't really like clothes at all on my baby and she lived in baby grows for about 9 months. Afterwards when they are crawling and cruising leggings are perfect. They are soft and comfy making moving around easier for them. Bare feet are much better than tights when they are learning how to crawl.

Saying leggings make babies look tarty is pretty odd in my opinion.

Foxsticks Tue 22-Apr-14 08:36:40

learning how to stand and balance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now